Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    7hz
    Old newbie

New Fatty DLR broken

Well, I was away on holiday with my 1 1/2 moth old Caffeine, and the fork suspension broke on me.

One day it was OK (but getting 'soft'), the next day it was flat.

Not holding air. Lockout doesn't lock out at the top of the travel ,but the bottom, so I was riding with 80mm less height on the front. Sucks.

Taken it to my LBS today, the tech tried replacing the valve (no luck), then we took it to bits and checked the inside, still no luck

So bike is out of action now. Tech says it'll be Tuesday before he can find out anything from C/dale, and maybe 10 - 28 days for a fix. I told him about the replacement fork promise on C/dales website, he said he will look into it.

Have to say at this point, I am pissed. Not at the LBS or the tech, but at my new bike breaking so soon. I now have not much confidence in this shock, and part of me wants to just throw a wobbler and demand a refund on obviously bad goods being sold by C/dale. I am also worried about the warranty on this, as the website says 3 months warranty on a repair, which means the shock could break after 4 1/2 months from brand new and I will be up the creak without a paddle.

Thing was I was so happy with everything before this happened. Now it feels like I have a 1300 beater ready to break at a moments notice

Judging by the threads here, I am not the only one with a crappy broken fork after no time from new.

Not a happy bunny :-/

Music & Bikes
    Same thing happened to me with the same fork.

A brand new 1FG with a Fatty DLR , didn't hold air. My LBS shipped it to CDale ( they don't do inhouse fork repair ). They send me a brand new fork , still running strong after a year.
    My LBS had an old Fatty that I instaled for the 10 days my fork was gone.

All in all , service from CDale was top notch.
    I was pissed too to have a brand new broken fork , but sh%* happens , and we deal with a company that is top notch with it's warranty policy.

good luck
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

7hz
    Old newbie
    Well, just off the phone with my LBS. This is day 7 of the issue (ok, the bike went in to the shop Fri 6.30pm). Anyway, apparently C/dale have been at a 'training seminar' for the last 2 days, and have now informed my LBS that they will have to BUY a fork from them if they are going to provide a replacement for my current broken fork whilst it gets fixed.To say I am unhappy about this would be an understatement. This is fu***g triible! The damn bike is 1 1/2 months old, it is obvuasly a manufacturing defect, it is now summer here (finally) and I want to go ride!

Man I am upset by this.

Music & Bikes
    It took 10 days for mine to come back , I think it's a normal delay.

Why can't your LBS install a temporary fork while you wait ?

7hz
    Old newbie
    They don't have any headshocks to swap out, and C/dale are wanting to charge them for a new headshok for them to provide me with one for the duration! Lame as heck if you ask me, SHAME ON YOU C/DALE!

My LBS quite rightly don't want to have to purchace a replacement for me to use for a week whilst the other one gets fixed! They also don't want to go bashing out the headsets and installing reducers and whatnot for a temporary fix on a brand new bike. FWIW I trust my LBS and think they are providing a high level of service, but C/dale are dropping the ball on this one so far. I think it is outrageous that they would require my LBS to purchase a fork, when it is a quality control issue with C/dale.

I have sent a fairly strong email to C/dale europe and the main USA branch as well about this, as I am now willing to kick up a proper fuss about it... not a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ********, of course Cdale did nothing wrong, ur LBS is ******** !

your LBS swallows chunks sorry...

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hz
    They don't have any headshocks to swap out, and C/dale are wanting to charge them for a new headshok for them to provide me with one for the duration! Lame as heck if you ask me, SHAME ON YOU C/DALE!.
    Have you ever heard of a company that would GIVE ( no charge ) an expensive piece of equipement to a dealer for the time of service ??

My LBS quite rightly don't want to have to purchace a replacement for me to use for a week whilst the other one gets fixed!
    From whom have you bought your bike from ?
    Cannondale directly ?
    Your LBS ?
    If your answer is "my LBS" , then it is the responsability of the LBS to offer you a good service. How your LBS manage or treats their costomer has nothing to do with Cannondale. CDale will do their part , they are gonna repair your fork.
    Your LBS is not very wise to not have an extra fork for people like you and me who has job to be done on their fork.
    Have you asked them what they do when people has a warrantied fork to send to CDale?

Maybe I am lucky and my LBS is the only one in the world offering good service in that case but I doubt it.....

They also don't want to go bashing out the headsets and installing reducers and whatnot for a temporary fix on a brand new bike. FWIW I trust my LBS and think they are providing a high level of service, but C/dale are dropping the ball on this one so far.
    I think you should say that if they don't repair your fork.Wait 'till you get it back before saying anything like that.

If you would have a Marzocchi or a Fox that would have neeed to be send to the company , wouldn't they have a spare fork for you ?
    How come they are Cdale dealer and don't have a Fatty for you ?
    That's inexcusable IMO

I think it is outrageous that they would require my LBS to purchase a fork, when it is a quality control issue with C/dale.

I have sent a fairly strong email to C/dale europe and the main USA branch as well about this, as I am now willing to kick up a proper fuss about it... not a happy camper.
    I work in a bike shop and believe me that every bike/fork/components are breaking, but not every cie will offer a garranty as good as CDale does.
    I would seriously check things around a bit and inform myself before saying things like that........

...hate it when I read things like that.....

7hz
    Old newbie
    You guys are missing the point totally.

Fork breaks after 1 1/2 months, it is Cannondales QC fault, not my LBS!

Cannondale say on their website:

http://gb.cannondale.com/faq/index.html#Q10

"10. How can I still ride when my bike is layed up or parts are in for servicing?
    Most bike shops [should] have a spare Headshok fork that can be installed onto a bike that has its fork in the FTR. If they don't offer you one, ask them to ask their Cannondale Rep. Our sales reps will do their best to make sure that you're able to ride during this service time."

Asking the shop to BUY a fork from C/dale so I can ride for 2 weeks whilst C/dale fix their damn QC issue is simply not fair on my LBS IMHO. That means that C/dale are offloading the risk of shoddy QC AND the promice to keep me riding onto the bike shop, which is just not right.

Anyway, this matter has now moved on, and I beleive they are sending a new fork to be put on my bike. I hope they let the LBS keep the old fork (fixed, of course) should I need service in the future.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    A friends Giant Trance was in the shop a couple times. At one point the Owner (LBS) loaned him his personal Anthem till he got his Trance back...
    Your LBS mileage may vary.
    CDT

mtbr member
    things can break... if they had all of these breaking i think cannondale would do something. and if this is an issue, they are probably looking into it. sounds like your LBS sucks. most shops put on a temp. they were the shop that sold it, your there customer. they bought the bike from cannondale and sold it to you. i would go demand a temp fork, or a temp bike... or return the whole bike for another of the same deal.

7hz
    Old newbie
    I accept that things can break.

What I am finding it hard to accept is I am without bike when the website specifically lead me to beleive I would be looked after and kept on the road / dirt whilst things are being fixed / serviced.

So is it reasonable that I would get a temp bike from my LBS? Or that they have to pay C/dale for a temp fork because C/dales has a QC issue?

Not trying to argue with anyone here now, but I need to know really what I should expect / demand as a customer. I feel I am maybe getting the thin edge of the wedge here, and am now very concerned for the future service requirements of this fork if I am SOL like this with an almost brand new bike

I don't have a problem kicking up s**t, but maybe I need direction on who to vent it at? LBS? C/dale? Both?

I wrote an email two days ago to both C/dale europe and CC'd C/dale USA. No reply yet. I really need some reassurance form someone... I hate getting batted about between mfr / shop, it's one of the banes of consumers there days TBH, it's always someone elses problem... usually only the customers :-(

Looking at some of the recent posts here, my whole confidence in C/dale's suspention systems is going down fast (like the damn forks themselves!), for example Headshok position vertical - I bought this because I thought it was established technology from this company, but now I think they have a problem... my car's shocks last thousands upon thousands of miles of hard motoring... why the heck are these simple bike components so fragile? This is a 1300 ($2600) bike, not a freaking corner shop tin-can special... I have a 300 air rifle that can happily contain 2500psi of pressure without failure for years, why cant this damn fork keep 160psi for 1 month?

I have no problem getting the Office Of Fair Traiding / my lawyer / my CC company involved TBH.
    Last edited by 7hz; 07-13-2007 at 05:08 PM.

mad aussie
    If you have say a Ford and it breaks down who gives you a car to drive while you get it repaired? Its the dealer who will provide a courtesy vehicle, not the manufacturer. Now at the same time the dealer is under no obligation to provide a bike or fork.

At the shop we have a Lefty and Fatty forks on hand to replace a broken fork while its being fixed. This is something over and above we do for our customers because we know you cant easily borrow a fork for your Cannondale from a friend.

When Fox had some issues with breaking dropouts several years ago they didnt provide loaners to those that had the failures (I know because it happened to a friend), when my new Marzocchi Marathon started blowing oil into the negative chamber and stuck at 40mm of travel I didnt get a loaner, when my RP23 stuck down I didnt get a loaner from Fox while it was being fixed. Cannondale is no worse/better than the industry standard here. I am not personally happy with Cdale's QC myself having been at the sharp end of fork failure, but unfortunately in my experience its not peculiar to Cannondale.

In the end its not like they are refusing to fix your fork, I know it sucks to be without a bike, but it is (hopefully) being taken care of.

Kevin

Kevin

7hz
    Old newbie
    Hey Kevin,

The issue is that they give the impression on their website that Cannondale will "do their best to make sure that you're able to ride during this service time". They make this promice (not my LBS). IMHO offering to sell my LBS is not "doing their best", any fool can offer a service promice like that! Cannondale made the promice, not my LBS!

"Offload it on the LBS, it's not our problem! Hey suckers, go buy a fork!!"

I want to keep at this issue until it is apparent that I will not be out of a bike whilst this thing is being serviced, now or at any time in the future. Frankly, I don't care now if it is Cannondale or my LBS's issue, one big reason I bought this bike was on the understanding that I would be looked after during service intervals.

Still no reply from Cannondale on this issue. Guess I'll have to be sending out registered letters next to even get the honor of a reply.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice and opinions.

Music & Bikes
    Like Flying Wombat said , cars manufacturers make that kind of promises too ( listen to publicity , check their website )
    They don't provide free cars to dealers because their cars break , even if they do these promises.

I really think that your LBS su** big time , being a Cannondale dealer and not having a spare fork at hand.( or a courtesy bike ).

I had to return my 2 month old Fatty DLR too , and I am very happy one year later to have a very good fork in my hand.

I would suggest you to change LBS.

7hz
    Old newbie
    The next nearest Cannondale dealer is 70 miles away, not exactly local! And they definitely suck.

The next nearest after that is in a different country.

Changing LBS is not going to (a) solve this particular problem, or (b) solve any C/dale QC issues.

When was the last time you heard about a 1 month old shock on a car breaking, and having to wait 2 weeks for it to be fixed?

Why apologise for C/dale when you are yet another case of someone who had a faulty shock from them? Has anyone actually bought a bike from C/dale that DOESN'T have a faulty shock? Please stand up...

Ridin' dirty!
    I've been a cannondale customer since the early 90's and still own and pamper my first cannondale which is equipped with the headshok.
    I've had many c'dale since then and believe it or not NOOOO issues!
    Just because it a suspension fork doesn't mean you have to look for obstacles or something to bump into. Common sense dictates to avoid obstacles as much as possible. After all the fork you have is for CC. I'm not trying to say it's your fault, but a lot of riders need to get rid of their "Let's see how much it takes to break it" mentality and stop to abuse their equipment. A lot of my friends had issues with their forks and it was all their fault! Too much pressure, jumping, riding aggressively of road with a locked out fork, jumping into lakes and wonder why the forks froze up on 'em. etc.
    I believe that IT IS YOUR BIKESHOP after all that sucks and not cannondale.
    Cannondale is trying to make sure that the bikeshops understand how important it is to provide good customer service, so they offer them forks at discounted prices. If your lbs doesn't feel to make this type of investment for the sake of their customers...oh well..
    And another indicator that your shop sucks is they didn't even have the spare parts and cartridges on hand to maybe fix it locally!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

7hz
    Old newbie
    It's a MTB! Its supposed to ride on rocks, off road, get dirty etc etc.

I didn't not abuse this bike at all FFS. I only ran lockout on uphill road, no jumps, no nothing apart from safe cross country riding (I value me above any bike anyway). But you better bet I am going to run the replacement fork thru it's paces to make sure it is not going to break on me 1 year and 1 day out of the warrinty. I don't see anything in the maual saying to ride gently anyhow.

It looks like your headshok is flat in your pic?!??!

It seems like some of you folks are saying it's my fault, it's my LBS fault, it's everyone's fault apart from C/dales... are you people from the company

Are you reading the same forum? Seems like everyone is having problems with the recent forks, yet the sun shines out of Cannondales behind.

I am trying to make sure Cannondale and this forum understands the value of quality control, and of not making promices that you can't keep. If Cannondale don't feel like they can make any quality control investment, why should I put up with a brand new broken bike, over a thousand pounds out of pocket?

I really hope to goodness the new one holds up, and that C/dale get things sorted, and I will have another word with my LBS about servicing and keeping me riding. I was a big C/dale fan until this happened, just my confidence in everything has taken a knock now :-(
    Last edited by 7hz; 07-15-2007 at 02:59 AM.

Ridin' dirty!
    My fork looks flat because it's the first gen headshok with only 50mm of travel.
    And on top of that I replaced the stock air sprung cartridge with an eibach speedspring and a DD50 oil damper in order to avoid possible problems like you're having. Also the rubber boot folds down on the bottom, which is also very common on the first gen bikes with headshok forks.
    I wasn't trying to say that you don't have a hard time with c'dale or that their products never have any issues.
    You just asked for someone that had no issues so far to stand up... so here I am.... (Maybe the only person???)
    I worked as a c'dale mechanic until the lefty came out and our bikeshop was really good trying to fix any issues asap. Matter of fact that was one of the c'dales requirements to be "allowed" to sell their products.
    Well, I guess it's just like with everything "exotic".... When I was stationed in Germany I had to wait 4 weeks to get a headgasket set and air intake manifold ordered from the states for a brandnew Mustang GT ... and Ford did't give me a replacement engine either
    The best thing you can do is (like you've already mentioned) is to contact cannondale directly and tell them about the problems you're having with your lbs.
    Or just do it like a couple of friends of mine did: Buy a cheap fork on eBay with a bulletproof elastomer cartridge and keep it as a back-up for when your "good" fork is being serviced.

7hz
    Old newbie
    Do you mean a headshok with an elastomer cartridge?

Anyway... got the bike back today. Not even out the shop and oil is pishing out the top of the fork. Quick push down on the front... doesn't feel right.... wipe off oil, go for a 1 minute ride out the shop, oil pishing out everywhere... this is a brand new fork and it is f**ked.

I am now beyone pissed off at this, this is a joke. Is C/dale making these things in Tiwan as well? Because it seems that even a $100 cheepo bike would be an upgrade from this.

What's scrap aluminium worth these days?

Ridin' dirty!
    JUUP.
    That's the one.
    I think for a daily rider air/oil is not really an option. It's okay for serious racers who try to shave off as much weight of their bike as possible. Too many people complain about having problems with their air/oil forks. When you overhaul them for instance and don't use the right tools when putting the cartridge back together you get issues left and right. (Like damaging wiper seals when not using the "bullet" tool). There's a reason why c'dale has a whole bunch of specialized tools out there.
    Did your bike shop "repaired" the fork or did they send it to cannondale?
    To tell you the truth: I WOULD BE MAD AS HELL TOO!
    Tell them to order a coil/elastomer system with an oil damper and maybe the castle tool so you can install it yourself (It's really not rocket science) and I bet you won't have any issues again. Another advantage of the mentioned cartridge is; If it should break on the trail, all you might loose is the dampening but the fork won't sag and would still be ridable. If you blow an air seal, you're pretty much $%ucked and are stuck with a saggy fork.
    What did cannondale say?
    Normally they're pretty quick on e-mail responses.
    And tell the bike shop to order a new fork! They should've done that anyways, and not fool around and make things worse! Or at least just order a new cartridge! That shouldn't take too long since they're made by magura in Germany.
    If nothing works I'll send you a plain elastomer system without damping like they used like 10 years ago just to have you cool off and keep the bike.

7hz
    Old newbie
    It's a brand new replacement fork I have waited 2 weeks for.

I don't understand how my 800 car has 4 shocks and springs, and can last for thousands upon thousands of miles, and yet this POS can't keep together for more than 5 minutes.

I don't want a 1300 bike that is so fragile I have to replace half of it when it's a month old.

Seriously considering demanding my money back and getting another different bike. The only thing that is C/dale on this bike is the frame and the forks... frame seems good, forks seem the biggest POS I have ever had the misfortune of spending money on.

I emailed C/dal 2 weeks ago, both the Netherlands and the USA customer support, no reply whatsoever from them.

Are you talking to me?

ok, enough.

Pick up the phone, and call Cannondale directly. Most of us know that if you want to speak with a manufacturer, you still need to call them. You have already waited once, call them and explain the situation. It will help alot if you get the original RA# from your dealer so that Dale can track your issue.

You have every right to be upset, but IMO, what shop does not already have a loaner fork for these type of issues?

Lots of Cannondale dealers have loaners, and they all paid for them.
    gfy

7hz
    Old newbie
    This has gone well beyond the temp fork fiasco.

Basically, my faith in both this fork, and the stupid damn company that are supposed to make it (or is that throw some parts in the fork and hope it might work when the customer sits on it?) is shot to pieces now. They obviously don't test these things when they make them, or are making them in a very very shoddy way out of shoddy parts. The other posts here on this topic where exactly the same thing has happened to countless other people is shameful. And the lefty doesn't sound any better, with frwakin recalls because some ape forgot to put some glue on it to hold it together!!!

I am seriously considering throwing a fit tomorrow and demanding a refund, and going out and getting a Commencal instead. If Cannondale can't be bothered emailing me back about a serious fault that they still haven't fixed, why the hell should I give them the benefit of the doubt and put up with their crappy support and their f**king crappy bike???

Handbuilt in the USA, on a friday afternoon, by a f**kin partially trained monkey.
    Last edited by 7hz; 07-22-2007 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Demand a full refund, and let the bikeshop sort it out or suck it up and wait till you get a good fork. One word though, don't generalize about products made in America like they are all crap, this is a problem with engineering, not manufacturing. Toyota's and Honda's are manufactured here quite succesfully with the best in reliability in the industry. And the reason more products aren't made here is cost, not quality. China and Taiwan will do things at a fraction of the price. As for the headshocks it's a matter of getting a good fork, since they either last a few minutes or a few years, there's no middle ground.

7hz
    Old newbie
    Sorry yeh you are right generalizations suck.. . just mad ATM... took out my last bit.

Still totally amazed that this has happened almost textbook the same way it has happened to others.

I dunno about the engineering / manufaturing point though. I mean, the first one was good to ride for the first 3 weeks. I would say it's sloppy manufaturing that causes these problems, surely? Really bad anyway, I don't thin kC/dale are going to swing many people over to their propriatry products at this rate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast