I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

New Dance Partner: 2005 Prophet 800

For those who are shopping around for a new bike and are considering the Prophet, I thought I would add my experience so far. I just got back from my second real ride and I am still grinning!

Stats: I am 48 yrs old, 6'2" about 190lbs and have been riding for about 25 years. I ride in So Cal on the typical fireroad and rough double/singletrack we have here. This is my 4th full suspension bike and the last one was an Intense Tracer which finally broke. I was looking for a few things in my new bike choice: A bit more travel without paying too high a price in weight gain or pedaling ability. We have long fireroad climbs here. Better rough trail peformance. As I get older, I wanted a little less of the trail to get through to me. Disc brakes, etc. I also did not want to lose that feeling of 'tossability' and agility on the trail and I was looking for a different feel than the Tracer had. I was very interested in the single pivot design for it's simplicity and reliability. I don't 'huck'.

I test rode a Spec. Stumpjumper 120mm bike. Liked it a lot, but I was a bit wary of the FSR backend without a Brain shock and I could not afford the newer ones. Rode a Rocky Mountain with the adjustable travel rear end (can't remember the name..ETSX?) and although it felt nice, the standover clearance was poor. I was looking for a Santa Cruz Heckler when I saw the Cannondale Prophet. I ended up with a large 2005 Prophet 800 that was still on the showroom floor. I got a great price and it just looked right and felt pretty good in the all important parking lot test.

The large is about right for me. I need at least a 24" TT and the XL was just huge feeling. I hated the shifters from day one. The integrated Deore LX 585 stuff just did not fit my well ingrained habits. I went to separate Deore LX levers and Shimano compatible Gripshift so I could actually figure out how to get the gear I wanted and put the brake levers at my fingertips. I also put on the 180mm Deore XT hollowtech cranks and SPDs from my old Tracer and a new BB to match. Dumped the Rapid Rise XT rear der. for a XTR off the Tracer as well. Kept the IRC Trail Bears, fiddled with shock settings a bit, running about 150 lbs in the Manitou rear shock, and put my old saddle on.

Ended up 30.4 lbs.

I just completed a 1 hr loop that is pavement to a 40 minute climb on fireroad to a return of flowing singletrack to rocky, creekbed diving, technical trail. Really a good mix to try a bike on.

One word. Fun. Or maybe super-fun. Really fun....that is two words....sorry.

It climbs well wih no hints of mushyness. Even when transitioning to standing pedaling, it feels very solid. I can feel the extra 3 lbs I picked up over the Tracer. Some of that is bigger tires, but 3 lbs is three lbs. Solution: Pedal harder. I will get used to it, but lighter would be nice.

When the single track began, I was tentative but after about 100' of trail I was going very fast and was sooo in the groove. Surprised me since it was a new bike and all. Bottom line: It is a really well balanced bike for my type of riding. The fork is very impressive (TPC fork). I never even got close to finding the limits of the suspension and I doubt I ever will, but it just ate up the rough trail and was very accurate and agile in the smooth parts. I was a much better handling bike than the Tracer on this day, at least.

I have never been a Cannondale guy and I always figured the Lefty was a bit odd so I am not a 'fan' of the brand. But unless something happens to change my mind, this bike rails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That's a good looking bike. Love the black.
    Cannondale Team Issue Closeouts Always at Bikeshoppe.com

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleTX
    That's a good looking bike. Love the black.
    I agree. The best part is the black decals under the clear. The black on black is very cool. I know that for some folks, the way a bike looks is second to how it performs. Fair enough. But I like to enjoy the overall look of a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Same as mine, same colour as well! Mine is standard, I'm 39 and do mainly XC. Not changed anything on the bike but did alter it from XC to FR.

I've noticed that over rough stuff, my pedals now hit but I can live with that, feels a lot more responsive and can throw it into corners faster.

We went round Dalby Forest near S****horpe in England today. 20 miles off road and loved it!

Enjoy!
    Carl.