Red Rider

New C'Dale Prophet Rider

Hello All,

I have finally taken the plunge and purchased a 2007 Prophet 5 (XL) in the black and white color scheme (you know, the police cruiser colors). I've had it for about a month and a half and have only ridden it once on the trail (been extremely busy plus traveling a lot the past few weeks). I was going to ride today but it's raining and there is currently a T-storm warning in effect (I'm in Georgia). When I get a few more rides in, I'll offer my review of it and my 2 cents.

As all new Prophet riders do, I have a few questions.

1. How do you mount this thing to a trunk rack? I have an SUV and I can fit it in the back with the door closed with no problem but from time to time I rent vehicles to travel out of town. I have the frame adapter from another FS bike I used to ride but it doesn't fit around the headtube.

2. Does anyone have any good handgrip recommendations? Not really digging the stock grips. Looking for something plush that doesn't make my hands numb after 30 mins.

3. I upgraded the rear deraileur to a SRAM X9 and switched the cranks to the FSA V-Drive MegaExo (the ones on the Prophet 4). What is the added benefit of the X9 vs the X7? I had the deraileurs swapped before taking the bike on the trail so I don't know how they compare.

4. Thinking about upgrading the shifters and front deraileur to X9 as well. Does anyone have a full X9 kit? Do you like it?

5. How durable are the Mavic X117 wheels? I am thinking of getting a set of lighter wheels in the near future.

6. My bike came with IRC FreedomCross Trailbear 2.25 tires (don't know much about these). Anyone know about these or their performance? I have a set of IRC Seracxc 2.10 tires that came with my spare set of wheels (don't know much about these either). I also have a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 kevlar tires I used to use on my other bike. I was considering a set of Maxxis Crossmarks but since I have 3 sets of tires, I wanted to use them before purchasing another set. Which set do you recommend for the Prophet? I usually ride dusty, gravelly singletrack with a few rocks and roots here and there.

7. I am 6'2" and I purchased the XL. Do you think I got the right size?

8. Any Georgia Prophet riders? Where do you ride and how do you like the performance of your Prophet?

Any feedback on the questions will be greatly appreciated.
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]RIDE OR DIE...

Ridin' dirty!
    Welcome!
    I recently purchased the same bike, in the same colors. I'm 6'1 and decided to go with a Medium frame because of the more BMX like handling.
    I mostly ride soft wet soil here in VA. with roots and such and really liked how the Trailbears perform. They're quite heavy, but ideal for preparing for a race. If you use lighter tires after riding the heavy ones all the time it almost seems like you're flying! I just swapped to the foldable 2.5 since they weight only a tack more than the stock 2.25 wire bead version.
    I pretty much swapped everything and got a awesome deal on a new lefty. I paid $100.- extra and turned the stock Lefty Max FFD in for a lefty Max Carbon SPV.
    The bike shop also gave me a great deal on a set of Mavic crossland Wheels. A lot of people don't like them, but I already had some mavic wheels on my other bike and never had any issues. I guess it all depends on how you plan to ride and how heavy one is. I weigh 170lbs. and ride for the plain fun of it. A friend of mine trashed the same wheelset you have in a matter of weeks, but he's like 220lbs. and rides like a maniac.
    I don't have any experience with trigger shifters at all since I used Gripshift style shifters ever since they came out. Something about going to the full range of gears with a simple turn of my wrist that I like.
    I would just wait until you break something before replacing/upgrading.
    Never touch a running system is what they say in the Air Force.
    Happy Trails!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

El Pollo Diablo
    I'm riding an 06 Prophet 600 as of a couple weeks ago...
    not qualified to talk about all of your questions, but I can play with a couple...

the mavic stock wheels are/were a little too XCish for me, so I swapped a TBC revolution rear that I had kickin around on, it's heavier, but it removed all the sketch I was feeling from the back end (haven't ridden her hard yet, but had already been feeling the back move around under my 215 inc gear, so it was a change I felt I had to make)
    Looking at upgrading the front wheel too, but haven't gotten around to it yet, especially with the comparably poor assortment of options for hubs available.
    The Trailbear is working fine for me, though I swapped the front for a 2.35 nevegal.
    (weight doesn't bother me, my two previous bikes were a 35 lb DJ bike and a 33 lb SS DJ bike, so this thing is a big step up)

re: rack options: you can either get a setup that grabs both the tires, of there are at least a couple companies that make adapters for the lefty.

finally, sizing sounds about right, though I can't give you too much more than that, without knowing how you get to that 6'2'' (long legs, long torso, what?)
    I'm 6'3'' with a longish torso, and the XL fits me like a glove.

Keep us posted, get some action shots!

mtbr member
    It would help if you tell us what type of riding you do. You'll notice the Prophet owners here range from XCers to FRers.

That said, I err on the FR end (and even take my Prophet DHing). So the components I recommend may not interest you. Regardless, I think XL is probably too big. I ride a M Prophet and I'm 5'10"; but then again, I like to ride hard and get air whenever possible - and don't climb many hills. But naturally you know best how it feels and fits for you.

Anyways, welcome to the Prophet Club! You'll find a wealth of information with the people here, and most importantly you'll love the bike!

P.S. For grips I have Oury lock ons and they're terrific.

I Love my Rize

One of the best tires out there

Quote Originally Posted by redrider_stx
    Hello All,

I have finally taken the plunge and purchased a 2007 Prophet 5 (XL) in the black and white color scheme (you know, the police cruiser colors). I've had it for about a month and a half and have only ridden it once on the trail (been extremely busy plus traveling a lot the past few weeks). I was going to ride today but it's raining and there is currently a T-storm warning in effect (I'm in Georgia). When I get a few more rides in, I'll offer my review of it and my 2 cents.

As all new Prophet riders do, I have a few questions.

1. How do you mount this thing to a trunk rack? I have an SUV and I can fit it in the back with the door closed with no problem but from time to time I rent vehicles to travel out of town. I have the frame adapter from another FS bike I used to ride but it doesn't fit around the headtube.

2. Does anyone have any good handgrip recommendations? Not really digging the stock grips. Looking for something plush that doesn't make my hands numb after 30 mins.

3. I upgraded the rear deraileur to a SRAM X9 and switched the cranks to the FSA V-Drive MegaExo (the ones on the Prophet 4). What is the added benefit of the X9 vs the X7? I had the deraileurs swapped before taking the bike on the trail so I don't know how they compare.

4. Thinking about upgrading the shifters and front deraileur to X9 as well. Does anyone have a full X9 kit? Do you like it?

5. How durable are the Mavic X117 wheels? I am thinking of getting a set of lighter wheels in the near future.

6. My bike came with IRC FreedomCross Trailbear 2.25 tires (don't know much about these). Anyone know about these or their performance? I have a set of IRC Seracxc 2.10 tires that came with my spare set of wheels (don't know much about these either). I also have a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 kevlar tires I used to use on my other bike. I was considering a set of Maxxis Crossmarks but since I have 3 sets of tires, I wanted to use them before purchasing another set. Which set do you recommend for the Prophet? I usually ride dusty, gravelly singletrack with a few rocks and roots here and there.

8. Any Georgia Prophet riders? Where do you ride and how do you like the performance of your Prophet?

Trailbears are AWESOME...........one of the best all around tires made, make sure you have the folding ones as they are lighter. Here are some reviews on these tires and they are pretty much right on. I would NEVER switch out the fronts with Nevegals as the trailbears I believe are a better tire and MUCH more durable, tougher and longer wearing.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Tire/product_124046.shtml
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

grips

Try Ergon grips- have not heard anybody complain about them - and they follow in the CD philosophy of thinking out of the box-solutions, i.e. they look a bit odd at first but they are terrific

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redrider_stx

The 117s seem to be holding up for me, but I don't thrash stuff. I do notice a fair amount of back end wiggle, so I may look into a stiffer rear wheel.

I love the Trail Bears. I have no idea if they are folding ones....never thought about it, but I would sure replace them with a K version of a Trail Bear again.

I am 6'2" and around 190 riding down the trail. I got the LG. The XL has like a 25" long TT? Wow. I fit the LG just fine, but that is a personal thing, how a bike fits, etc.

mtbr member
    i have a Thule spare tire rack on the back of my jeep that i use with my prophet. i don't know how similar the setup is. i sit my prophet on the rack with the cradles resting under the downtube & cables there, just behind the bottom of the headtube in the front and under the toptube, between the rear shock & seat tube. strap her down & she's secure enough.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

mtbr member

New Prophet 4

I just picked up a new 2007 Prophet 4 for a great price ($1599.) here in Denver. I'm 6'3" and about 225 lbs, so I opted for the XL.

Since I am brand new to the sport, I don't plan on doing many crazy things on the bike...yet. Based on some of the things that I have read in this and other Cannondale threads, I may eventually need to reinforce a few things here and there to help support a big hoss like me.

I had been looking at a few different brands (Yeti, Specialized and Gary Fisher) and was pretty seriously considering the Yeti 575... but the Prophet ended up being less than half of the cost of the Yeti that I was considering. Based on my skill (or lack thereof!) and what I really intended to do with the bike, I convinced myself that really I couldn't do better than the Prophet in terms of specs and price.

In any event, I am definitely looking forward to getting some serious saddle time in the coming days and weeks!

Red Rider
    Hey Fellas,

I appreciate the responses to the thread. I got some saddle time in this Saturday at Blanket's Creek in Georgia and this is a kinda mini review about my ride.

1. I changed my seat to a Attivo Superlight Distance Saddle I was using on my other bike. A comfortable saddle makes all the difference in the world and after the 27 miles I put in, my butt was not feeling sore like it was the last time I rode the bike for about and hour.

2. I had previously asked about the IRC FreedomCross Trailbear tires due to my inexperience with them. I am happy to report that they rolled smoothly and worked beautifully. The trail had a mix of roots, rocks and muddy puddles in low parts of the trail and I was able to keep traction and maintain my momentum in all situations. I did not slide out or lose control at all. I am sold on them.

3. I was a bit unsure about the size I purchased but after my 27 mile ride I am happy that I got the XL. The wheelbase was a lot longer that my previous FS (by about 5 inches) so descending was very surefooted, controlled and I was able to bomb downhill at ridiculous speeds (had to back off a bit because I was scaring myself). I read the owners manual on the bike and the setup of the Lefty and the Fox Float R were very simple. I kinda wanted my Lefty to have a lockout like on the Speed version and the Fox to have a lockout lever like the higher end models but it is not neccessary with this bike. It like that Showtime Rotisserie oven thing...just set it and forget it. The geometry of the bike and the component do their thing.

The suspension conformed to the trail, the Lefty tracked well and absorbed the small and large bumps with ease. The Lefty is light too, which helps when you are tired but still need to lift the front end to clear a log or rock in your path. The bike does not feel like it weighs 31+ pounds.

4. I am still getting used to the SRAM X7 shifters because I am used to the Shimano shifters on my other FS and my Bad Boy (push, push vs push, pull) so my flow got interrupted a few times on the trail because of this. Not saying that the SRAM system is bad, just different and takes some getting used to.

5. The grips suck! I had on some Zeal Swany Pro gloves and still got a blister on my right palm below the finger next to my pinky finger. I don't think I was gripping the bars very tight.

I'll try to post some post ride shots soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Redrider, I've in Atlanta and have a new Prophet 4. I've had mine about a month and love it. I'll be at Blankets Creek on Saturday morning for a couple hours while my wife partakes in a skills clinic. If you're there, say hi. I'll be on the anodized Prophet 4.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have an 05 600 and I have upgraded a few things. The first thing to go were the wheels. I had a nice custom ztr 355 on a king hub for the rear and I had a ztr rim built custom on the lefty hub. What a difference. The ztrs are much stiffer and track alot better and the wider rim gives and nice bite in the corners. I am running them tubless with standard panaracers. My frame is a Medium and I am 5'10. I got some race face deus cranks and x9 rear derailler and shifters. I got a thomson post and a laser v stealth saddle and eggbeaters. The bike has lost alot of weight. I would say it is around 28 pounds.

Red Rider
    Hey guys...

I appreciate all the responses to my thread. I haven't gotten any ride time on my Prophet since my last post. I have been getting a lot of time ride time on my Bad Boy (the entry model with rim brakes). I've been making a 6.1 mile one way daily commute to work on it and have logged about 300+ miles so far. I actually took a 8 mile casual ride around downtown Atlanta a few hours ago. I love the Bad Boy. It's light and fast. Oh, I'm sorry I'm babbling about the Bad Boy and this is a Prophet thread....

mtbr member
    sram x-9 is definatley a worthy upgrade over the x-7 my prophet came with x-7 and i run x-9 on my other bike, will soon be changing it on the prophet aswell.

Much more positive shifts and alot more precise and quicker.

Enjoy the bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I put ODI Rogue lock on grips on my Prophet and LOVED them. Eliminated a lot of hand and wrist fatigue.