All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

The "New" Cannondale horror story thread

So, I think most will agree, the company that was, is no more.

I've dealt with them for many, many years, and they had a great way of focusing on the end user. Sure, some folks had bad experiences, I'd generally blame the local dealer, rather than the brand though. Not all shops are created equal after all.

So I got a call from a dealer the other day, that really showed how far they have fallen, in caring about customers, whatsoever.

Rider had a 29FS. Cracked a seat stay.

Cannondale had no stays in stock. Nor, any coming in the near future.

What's a good corporate taintwaffle to do?

They sold, not warranted him, a complete 650B, FS frame. Also required him to purchase a new Lefty, as well as new wheels.

Now, this would be an egg in the face moment for pretty much any brand, not having warranty stock.

But the company of old, would have (and did, on many occasions) made it right, with everything needed to make whatever frame was deemed suitable, and in stock, free.

Sure, you'd pay shop labor for a rebuild, but that's pretty standard.

Feel free, post them up, let's show the world how *Great* Cannondale is making cycling nowadays....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    So, does Cannondale warranty the stays? How old is the bike? How did the break happen?

Also, why would the guy buy a whole new frame and fork if he did not love the brand/bike?

I am playing the devils advocate here and am amazed when companies have no plan for broken frame parts.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So basically they offered him a new bike but he had to pay for it.... Woo hoo that's a new level of low

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

This was passed on, second hand, by a dealer from down south, trying to help out their customer.

It would have been a warranty part, but they had none.

He was calling dealers, service centers, etc, looking to see if anyone had a stay in stock, to even purchase.

He said that the above action was what Cannondale was offering in lieu of handing the customer a free part....

So, not a done deal yet, but that's how far Cannondale is willing to bend over to help a customer, which is to say, not at all.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm just waiting for if/when my trigger 29er frame fails, what my options are since they'll most likely not have NOS XL frame sitting around. I'm betting on a new bike at 40% off, which is what they did for me when I cracked by 2nd F29 frame in two years.

The Brutally Handsome
    I agree that's terrible customer service, but unfortunately I think what you're describing is not simply an issue with C-dale but rather what has become the 'industry standard'. I have read this same story-line from customers of both foreign and domestic companies. And I assume part of the problem is constantly evolving sizes and standards which can render even relatively new frames and components obsolete. At the same time, requiring a customer to pay twice for a company's mistake is a good reason take business elsewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    I agree that's terrible customer service, but unfortunately I think what you're describing is not simply an issue with C-dale but rather what has become the 'industry standard'. I have read this same story-line from customers of both foreign and domestic companies. And I assume part of the problem is constantly evolving sizes and standards which can render even relatively new frames and components obsolete. At the same time, requiring a customer to pay twice for a company's mistake is a good reason take business elsewhere.
    That's why I look at how radical a company changes its product line in terms of new standards before I buy. The industry wants to sell you new bikes every year. Early obsolescence is much better for the bottom line when sales decline. Make cheap sell higher than last year. And they don't keep spares for more than 5 years after the frame was manufactured. That itself is not so much an issue in the past but with bb standards changing and boost and and and it's just too much. I bowed out of that stupid rat race. I like Hong fu frames. Cheap and when they obsolete you don't care since they cost 1/5th of a branded frame

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yep, the world is changing, I don't disagree at all, and fair point too.

That said, if a company chooses to focus first and foremost, on profits for them, they are missing the second part of the equation.

It's a big, social, connected market out there. Screw up, and you sell one bike, to one person. Treat them right when they have a problem, and you'll sell them, their friends, and family, many bikes.

Taking care of customers is what made Cannondales customers of old, as rabid as they are.

Guys would buy nothing but Cannondale for a decade or more, simply because of how they got treated, once, when a problem happened.

Don't forget, everything is Asian made now (read, like, 1/8 the cost) so doing the right thing, costs them WAY less than it used to when stuff was MUSA.

It's the old, treat a customer right, and they'll tell 2 people, but treat them wrong and they'll tell EVERYONE, that they just seem to not give a flying crap about, and it'll be their undoing.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mendoncyclesmith View Post
    so, not a done deal yet, but that's how far cannondale is willing to bend over a customer, which is to say, all the way.
    fify.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Is this related to old Cannondale bikes?

My 2016 Bad Habit chainstay cracked last year. Had a replacement within a week. This year the rear rim cracked in a couple spots around the spoke locations. Had a new rim within a week.

Was a hassle free easy experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Been riding Cannondales for the past 15 years.
    My 2013 Trigger Carbon 1 frame broke, in 3 days they got me a new one.

Leftys failed both in my Trigger and Jeckyl, last year.
    Upgraded to the new setup on the Lefty (free of labor or parts)
    Lefty failed 1 month ago again, everything broke inside, oil and pieces came from under it.

It took a month but got a Lefty with all new internals (free of charge)
    Lefty leaked oil on the Jeckyll, sent it and picked up today, no charge.

3 Months ago, rear triangle broke on my Trigger, took a week, and got a new rear triangle installed on my bike.

Fox Dyad started to act weird, sent it to Fox with proof of purchase 1 year ago, hoping for warranty.

I ride 3 or 4 times per week all year round, bikes wear out.
    So warranty wise I cant complain, reliability wise , yes a bit.

Today went to pick my Lefty and had the opportunity to weight the new Jeckyll Carbon 2, 32 pounds no way Im buying it.
    Trigger 3 weighted 31 pounds.
    Shock didnt feel as good as the Dyad RT2.
    My Jeckyll 2015 carbon weights 26.5 pounds with a Fox 36 , Pushed, which works amazing.
    My trigger weights 24.5 pounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    new bikes weigh more than old bikes did. Stronger AND Longer
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm torn. I've had a new Scalpel every year since the 29er came out. Every one, except the 2017, I have had to send the lefty in at least once a year for warranty work. This takes a 1 week to a month to get back. Then at the end of the year I send it in for an overhaul before I sell the bike. I want the buyer to get a fresh well running bike. I've been without a race bike 2-3 times a year. I love the way the new bike rides, but I do not love the added weight of the 2.0.
    I had a frame in 2013 that the shock mount cracked and the chainstay cracked. I was able to get a warranty frame pretty quickly and was down only a week.
    If the Lefty stays the same(heavy/questionable reliability), I'll still ride a Scalpel next year but with a Fox step cast 32 and a Fox rear shock. Hoping they do a redesign, take what they learned from the mistakes, and come out with a competitor to the new World Cup and Fox Step Cast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I send my 2.0 off for a 100hr service once a year. Obviously I put more hours than that in to it. TF Tuned seem to be surprised that I bother, which I saw as a good sign. Touch wood it's been pretty good (after a full re-build by TF) , and it's still got the wave spring in it.

I'm not worried about the weight thing as the wheels, tyres and frames have made up for it, but I wouldn't say no to plusher, lighter 2.1 with a 200 hr service interval.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    did a warranty service last year on the lefty, 3 days incl. shipping. thought that was pretty good. can it be different things for cannonade US and cannonade Europe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had a couple warranty fixes on my supermax before it got the 2spring. Service was generally quick and free of charge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They tried the same thing when my chain-stays cracked. The shop told me that Cannondale would give me a discount on a new bike. I informed them that I did not think that I had to pay for another bike since there was a warranty on my current bike. They finally found a frame somewhere and sent it to me after close to a month of waiting.

Needless to say I am done with the brand. When my current bike fails, I am going to another brand and try my luck there. When I did my first warranty before the company was sold, I had a frame in the bike shop in 3 days and I had my bike back in 6 days. Sadly that kind of service is a now memory.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Fanboy No More...

When I heard Dorel was buying Cannondale in early 2009 - I offed my 2006 System Six, 2008 Taurine Team and 2008 Bad Boy. No regrets...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm from South Africa, and my Lefty 2.0 crapped out while I was riding in Italy this year. (The bike was 18 months old) The local shop upgraded it to 2Spring and fixed the issue for me for me free. I was back on the bike within 2 days.

Suffice it to say, I ended up buying a new Scalpel Si from them a week later.

mtbr member
    There are every day more issues about cdale quality products , mechanical , cosmetic problems , the profit to change production to China (carbon frames) and Taiwan (alloy frames ) has these risks , bad quality on production , cheaper materials and cheaper man work . There is good stuff made there but probably they are working with less resources and cheaper materials , unfortunetly that brand that we knew years ago has desapeared , so many mistakes , so many redesigned bikes , lack of inovation , and problems and problems ... When you have the center of decision , design department miles away from factories , the risks are higher , and control the production quality is more difficult .poor cdale , who has arrived to mtb now dont have the perception about what was the brand and what is now ,the next years will be crucial to the brand , they are loosing the train ...