Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New Cannondale Flash Owner!

Hey everyone!

Last week I bought my first 29er- a 2011 Cannondale Flash 2 alloy 29er. It was slightly used, and I couldn't pass up the deal. I have to say so far I LOVE this bike. The geometry, handling, and stiffness are wonderful. I have only taken it out once so far but plan to change that this weekend. Anyways I have swapped out the bars, and saddle to a FSA SL-K, and Tundra 2, and hope to change out the drivetrain to X0, and put some lighter wheels on it ASAP. It is running some stout Sun Ringle Equalizer wheels with maxxis crossmarks / Ikons. I need some input and opinions here: I plan on swapping the wheels out for a set of Stan's Crest 29er (weight is 165lbs)- my question is (since we all know all that matters is how a bike looks) should I go for the black or white stan's rims with blue project 321 hubs? Thanks for your opinions ! Pics:

Old:

Current:

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice looking bike. I ride a 2010 Flash 1 26er with a carbon lefty. I'm 300lbs and beat the heck out of that bike. What ever you do get your lefty serviced by mendon cycle Smith. He is a great knowledgeable person to talk to about the lefty and can rebuild them and fix any issues that may come about.

Good luck with your new ride.

I'm actually in the market for a flash 29er. I rode a 2011 carbon flash and am undecided if I want to go carbon or aluminum.

JLSF20
    Sep 2008
    Go for white rims..it will get great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would like to go with black arch rims and blue I9 hubs/spokes.

So go ahead with the white Crest's. LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks guys- was able to get about 30 miles in on the bike this weekend over varying trails. Still love this thing. Should make for a great xc rig. It likes to climb like crazy! Looking forward to getting some lighter wheels on it though for sure- might have to take a harder look at some white Stan's crests or archs.

mtbr member
    If you think you will go for Arch rims, its best you wait a month or 2 for the new version to come out called the Arch EX, they are said to be lighter and stiffer then the current Arch''s...

I would also go for White

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I 3rd the Arch, and, I HAVE white ones. They look extra fly when rolling!!! Go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hmmm thanks for the tip on the Arch EX- I hadn't even heard about those yet! 450g for a (hopefully) sturdy 29er wheel sounds good to me! White it is!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a set of Stan's 355 white hoops laced to DT swiss 240 hubs with super comp spoke. Rear has the 10mm bolt skewer thingy........They are for sale.. shoot me a PM if you are interested. They have about 5 rides on them.

I would go white hoops with black spokes and black hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am looking at purchasing this exact bike myself locally. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? Upgrading and making it your own unique bike is a lot of the fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KLH1 View Post
    I am looking at purchasing this exact bike myself locally. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? Upgrading and making it your own unique bike is a lot of the fun!
    I think you will love this bike- have just about 100 miles on it now and it has been great . I have a Size M, with a 120mm stem, with the saddle set back a little bit- it fits me great. I am 6.0, with relatively long legs. I could have gone for a Large, but got really used to riding a buddies Niner Sir 9 which was about the equivalent size of the Cannondale M. Now that I have gotten used to a slightly smaller compact- I love the feel of a smaller bike over a larger frame. I rode a friend's Cannondale 07 caffein which is a Large and it felt monstrous lol. Enjoy the Flash if you get it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for posting a reply! I am 5' 10.5" barefoot and I am going to go with a medium. The large seems stretched out and too big. I am glad to see the actual bike I am getting has a posted review.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Got the new wheels, tires, and a few other goodies on the bike. Doing the first race of the season on it next month- 50 miler outside of Richmond, VA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very nice......just ordered a 2012 Flash 29er Carbon 3 myself. Really looking forward to the first ride. Thinking about swapping the Avid Elixir 9's for a set of XT's, prior to it leaving the shop. What do you all think?

mtbr member
    If only Hope made Lefty hubs......
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think I like the black rims. The white ones seem to detract from attention to the frame. But that is just me. Although it's hard to argue with either!
    Dang, they have long seat posts.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    dope!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My Chinadale flash w/ horrendous welding and all.
    Prefer my US made furio and optimo bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Cannondale Flash Owner!-63766_344345498997710_20751900_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just bought a carbon flash 3.. Going to upgrade the wheels to stans arch ex also.. Just picked it up a week ago and it has snowed, plus been below freezing since.. Can't wait to hit a trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebellknoll View Post
    My Chinadale flash w/ horrendous welding and all.
    Prefer my US made furio and optimo bikes.
    Chinadale lol! My Flash is made in China and it's fine. Not a mark on it. Just because something is made in China doesn't mean the quality isn't as good. It usually depends on the product. What Flash did you get, can you take photos of some of the welds? I have an SL1 as well, and I have to say it is the same story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You're right BoostN7. That must explain my two Chinadale carbon bikes w/ cracks just this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're right BoostN7. That must explain my two Chinadale carbon bikes w/ cracks just this year.
    We get your point, move along please, this thread was to discuss the OP's nice shiney Flash!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    We get your point, move along please, this thread was to discuss the OP's nice shiney Flash!
    Must be the way you're riding it

Here here! You should get the blue P321 hub, or Industry 9 or something. Or at least a blue hub cap. I know, I'm a tart

mtbr member

New Cannondale Flash Owner!

OP nice bike evolution.

Crackers to the guy with two bike crack problems. Maybe you should create a new crack-posting.

Happy riding folks

mtbr member
    I've just realised I got my quotes and responses muddled up. Oh well you get my point

WallStreet is resurrecting old threads again haha. Where's my PM Wall? You haven't written to me in years

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast