Upgrade your life

New build suggestions / help

I am currently in the midst of building up a cannondale F400 frame i purchased. I currently have:

Shimano Deore XT Shifters- Mega 9 Drive Train SL-M750
    Shimano Front Derailleur - Mega 9 Drive Train FD-M510
    Shimano Rear Derailleur Integrated 8 SiS RD-M739
    Shimano Deore XT Brake Levers (Pair) BL-M739
    Shimano Front And Rear Brakes BR-M750

which i purchased on ebay as a set:
    ebay link

Woodman Axis Headshock Headset:
    Headset

In the mean time i hope to swap over a crankset, fork, handlebars, wheelset and chain from a older raleigh M80. The fork is a Rock Shox fork, shimano alivio crankset.

Concern rear cassette is only a 7 speed. The length of the cannondale head tube is only 4.5". The raleigh is close to 7". Im thinking i need spacers or to cut the steerer tube. Im leaning in the direction of the spacers.

What else do i need to address before i can get the bike up and running?
    Can i use the current 7 speed cassette?
    Can i use the existing IG chain?
    Is this even worth it?

What are some recommendations of:
    cranksets [$100 - $200]
    rear cass [$30-$75]
    front fork [$100-$200]

Please list any concerns or questions. This is my first build.

Thanks!

Upgrade your life

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There are more knowledgeable people out there but my opinion for what its worth is you might as well try what you've got and see how it works.
    I fear you may have problems with your drive train as seven speed chain is broader than 8 or 9 speed and the derailleurs may not accept the chain, which will need adjusting for length. The indexing may also not work. At the very least you will have a couple of shifts where nothing happens. Also your rear hub may not accept a 9speed cassette as modern ones require a spacer to accept a 7 speed cassette (are you sure you have a cassette and not a freewheel?).
    The critical fork measurement is crown to axle which alters the effective head angle if you check out Cannondale tech notes http://www.cannondale.com/tech_cente.../headshok.html they give maximum lengths and you will see if your old fork will fit.
    For upgrades I like external BB set-ups such as LX/XT Hollowtech . I'd try Deore cassette and 2 chains with Sram powerlinks (imo rotating 2 basic chains so they are always clean is far better than a fancy dirty one). For a fork I'd seriously look at a 2nd hand Headshok which would avoid all your geometry worries and you wont need the headset!
    Good luck with the build and I'm sure you'll get some better advice when the guys come in from riding their bikes.

Upgrade your life
    Thanks for the reply! After reading up on cassettes and freewheels, i think i have a freewheel. I will have to check to make sure. I think my best bet is to build the bike slowly and correctly rather than rush it and make things work just so i can ride it.. I like the idea of rotating 2 chains!

So on that note. Anyone else have recommendations on:

wheelsets [100-150]

cranksets [$100 - $200]
    - Thinking Deore XT or LX

rear cass [$30-$75]

front fork [$100-$200]
    - Thinking Dart 3 or 2nd hand Headshok

Thanks!

Upgrade your life
    I made a couple more decisions. Friday im going to REI and picking up:

Shimano Deore LX M582 Crankset
    Shimano LX/105 HG73 9 Speed Chain
    Deore/ Sun CR18 Front/Rear Wheel
    Shimano Deore HG-50 9 Speed Chain.

Any issues with any of these components?

Thanks!