mtbr member

New brakes for my Prophet 5

This might be like opening a can of worms, but I figured there's no harm in asking.

The original BB7's on my Prophet 5 are done. They still work, but coming into my 5th season on this bike, they are starting to show their age.

I'm on a limited budget due to my decision to PBR the Lefty but I'm also ready to go to a hydraulic brake.

A quick scan of PricePoint and there are a few selections that catch my eye.

- Hayes Stroker Trail
    - Avid Elixir 5
    - Shimano SLX M675

I like the idea of not having to buy new rotors (mine are fairly new) and mounts if I went with the Elixir, but I also like the idea of having the best that I can afford. The Shimano's are probably at the top of my price point. But, if I don't have to buy rotors/mounts, all the better.

Given those three... any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My choice would be for the Shimano SLX, if there half as good as the XT's on my new bike, I can't recommend them enough. Always found Hayes to be solid performers, more so than Avid's, in my book

LA CHÈVRE
    I'd vote for the Shimano too. I've tried many brakes. Some perform great, some are powerful, some are trouble free, some are light, some look good... But not many have everything. So far, I think Shimano brakes have the best overall package. They're not the most blingy exciting brakes (even the XTR) but that's not so important. In my experience, Shimanos have been the most reliable, durable, trouble free and consistant performers I have tried with wonderful modulation and plenty of power.

Avids... well, I wouldn't even recommand them to my worst enemy (if I had one). Hayes I don't know much about, I didn't like those I tried but that was many years ago, I think the company changed a lot since then... but you can't go wrong with Shimanos.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    +1 for Shimano.

I recently upgraded the brakes on my 2009 F3 to the Shimano XT M785 brake set and for me, they are just perfect, especially after enduring the stock Avid BB3 (upgraded to 3.5 under warranty) for a number of years.

I now want to upgrade the Avid Elixir 7 brake set on my 2013 F29 1 Alloy because I'm not pleased with them and the Shimano XT M785 is far superior.

mtbr member

Re: New brakes for my Prophet 5

Well, I did end up going with the Avids. I wanted to go with the Shimano, but due to budget considerations, and a killer deal from PricePoint, Elixir 3's are on the workbench. $68/wheel - new rotors and all.

I do appreciate the input. Looking forward to seeing how hydraulic's feel.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by JLampitt View Post
    Well, I did end up going with the Avids. I wanted to go with the Shimano, but due to budget considerations, and a killer deal from PricePoint, Elixir 3's are on the workbench. $68/wheel - new rotors and all.

I do appreciate the input. Looking forward to seeing how hydraulic's feel.
    It will be a night and day difference compared to the old mechanical ones. All my newer bikes had avid brakes, matter of fact I'm still running carbon juicy's on my prophet and never had any problems...I do like how shimano brakes feel though.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Definitely update us once you get them on. Curious to hear your thoughts, I'm in the same boat on my Prophet and can't decide on whether to stay mechanical or move to hydraulic.

mtbr member
    Got everything back in order today. They hydraulic's... INCREDIBLE!!!

I can't believe I waited so long. I darn near sent myself over the bars this afternoon. Powerful with just a touch of the finger.

New brakes for my Prophet 5-imag0060.jpg
    Last edited by JLampitt; 03-16-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Ridin' dirty!
    told you it doesn't compare to the shotty mechanical ones....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    I'm heading out right now for my first "real" ride on the new setup. Will post a field report afterward.

mtbr member

Re: New brakes for my Prophet 5

If I wasn't sold before, I am now. I will never go back to cable-actuated disc's again.