Thread: new bike needed

mtbr member

New question here. new bike needed

what bike to buy?
    Hubby decided he will mountain bike with me.
    I bought my co-workers old bike - excellent bike Marin Rocky ridge for $300.
    LBS has 2 choices for him: Giant Ranier $850 or Cannondale F600 $1100.
    Which is the better bike, money no problem.
    Oh, and he wants front suspension only

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I cant speak on the giant, but I just got an F600 with the disc and it is really a nice bike. very light and nimble, headshok is VERY precise. pretty decent hardware. I am very happy with it. climbs well, descends pretty nice (turns quick to dodge things ) and doesnt really beat me up. fun bike.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm good

Quote Originally Posted by ericF600
    I cant speak on the giant, but I just got an F600 with the disc and it is really a nice bike. very light and nimble, headshok is VERY precise. pretty decent hardware. I am very happy with it. climbs well, descends pretty nice (turns quick to dodge things ) and doesnt really beat me up. fun bike.

thanks for the review, it is always good to hear from someone with a bike already

mtbr member
    May 2004
    sure, just be sure to let us know how you make out! and them brakes are AWESOME too! super easy to adjust and really strong. little squeaky as they break in, but worth it in the stopping power they provide as they get broken in!

mtbr member

Smile I reserved the bike

I called the shop and they put the "sold" sign on the bike

I will swap the clipless for regular pedals and the seat for a gel seat.
    Can I ask to have that thrown into the mix?
    I am paying $1100

I will visit them after work

mtbr member
    May 2004
    good chance. or I might know where you could sell them... the pedals at least. they will probably trade em for ya, but they are worth more (pedals) than the clip pedals are so dont pay extra for a downgrade if you know what I mean. maybe get a few $$ back. let me know if you decide you want to sell em. what would you want for the pedals?? good luck with the bike, it is a nice ride and I am sure hubby will like btw, what color you getting? I have the sobe colors (green/yellow) Eric

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

good chance. or I might know where you could sell them... the pedals at least. they will probably trade em for ya, but they are worth more (pedals) than the clip pedals are so dont pay extra for a downgrade if you know what I mean. maybe get a few $$ back. let me know if you decide you want to sell em. what would you want for the pedals?? good luck with the bike, it is a nice ride and I am sure hubby will like btw, what color you getting? I have the sobe colors (green/yellow) Eric
    Hi,

I got the pedals thrown in no problem and they will give me the clipless.
    maybe I will sell them I'll check with hubby.

I got a deep dark blue color, hubby is thrilled, he is like a kid at Christmas and so am I as I have hoped that he would take up mountain biking too

I will let you know how he likes it

mtbr member
    May 2004
    awesome! I think he will like it, biking is soooo much fun. perfect way to unwind at the end of a day great exercise too. you get them to throw in the seat too? glad to hear they gave you what you needed. you did spend enough, they ought to make it work for you! Eric

mtbr member

F600

They threw in the seat and the pedals. Hubby said that he wants the pedals in case he ever wants to go clipless....

What's the deal with your tires? Are the stock tires not rock worthy?

awesome! I think he will like it, biking is soooo much fun. perfect way to unwind at the end of a day great exercise too. you get them to throw in the seat too? glad to hear they gave you what you needed. you did spend enough, they ought to make it work for you! Eric

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrmegan
    They threw in the seat and the pedals. Hubby said that he wants the pedals in case he ever wants to go clipless....

What's the deal with your tires? Are the stock tires not rock worthy?
    they seem pretty good, I was just wondering if there was anything better than what I had. I have my old cdale m400 that I am using to get my girlfriend into riding, but it needs a rear tire and the front ought to be done at the same time. figured if I could get something even better than what I had I would, and give her my current tires one of those things where I would upgrade my current stuff and not the bike that is just a spare that I HOPE gets used, ya know? old bike is only a 7 speed with old bad gripshift. might get xt shifters for myself...

ceteris paribus
    Don't worry, you'll probably eat through tires faster than anything else on your bike, so you'll have a chance of trying a WIDE variety of them until you get to the one that does the trick for you.
    I usually eat through a set of tires in rainy season and another set in dry season. So I try at least 2 sets per year.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xctico
    Don't worry, you'll probably eat through tires faster than anything else on your bike, so you'll have a chance of trying a WIDE variety of them until you get to the one that does the trick for you.
    I usually eat through a set of tires in rainy season and another set in dry season. So I try at least 2 sets per year.
    a little off topic from the original thread...but whats the thoughts on weirwolf tires? they look as though they ought to work. any idea what size will fit my F600??

mtbr member

I have the weirwolf

a little off topic from the original thread...but whats the thoughts on weirwolf tires? they look as though they ought to work. any idea what size will fit my F600??
    tires on hubby's bike, the bike shop switched out the tires because a few spots of mud were on the tires (from someone else's test ride)
    Where do I find the size?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    should be right on the sidewall. do they grip well? how you like em?