mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New bike, to me, want some upgrades

I just picked up a new to me 2007 Cannondale F4, all stock except for saddle, which is a WTB Rocket V SLT and some KendaSmall Block 8 tires.This is my first bike and am super stoked!! So please forgive me if some questions seem pretty obvious.

I've only rode it a few time, but already can tell i would like to upgrade the shifters from the X-5. What is a good option? I want something that is a little more crisp, especially in the front.
    Also thinking of upgrading the front derailuer from the Deore. Is it worth it to upgrade and to what? I was think X-7
    As for the rear, the X-7 is a sufficient right?

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkRuby
    I just picked up a new to me 2007 Cannondale F4, all stock except for saddle, which is a WTB Rocket V SLT and some KendaSmall Block 8 tires.This is my first bike and am super stoked!! So please forgive me if some questions seem pretty obvious.

I've only rode it a few time, but already can tell i would like to upgrade the shifters from the X-5. What is a good option? I want something that is a little more crisp, especially in the front.
    Also thinking of upgrading the front derailuer from the Deore. Is it worth it to upgrade and to what? I was think X-7
    As for the rear, the X-7 is a sufficient right?
    I'd stick with a shimano front der. if you really want to upgrade functionality, an LX front derailure will provide you high end functionality at much lower cost, for a very small weight penalty.

As for upgrading your shifters, X5 -> X7 would be a notable upgrade, but moving to the X9 would be a huge step up, and save you money over the uber costly X0.

The rear derailure is sufficient so long as you're happy. The X7 is a decent derailure.

EDIT - PS: a couple of years back X7 rear derailures were snapping all over the place, but I haven't heard the same of the new design (essentially the old X9 design).
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the input.
    Are there any other components i should give a look at that will make a noticeable difference to a newbie?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was able to pick up some X.7 off ebay for $25 so it was hard to pass that up even though i would like the x.9s. So my next question is, is it a DIY job to switch out the shifters, or should i just take to the LBS?

mtbr member
    It could be tricky if you have never done it before. Also, the X-7's are harder to install the cable (IMO) because you have to take apart a whole part of the shifter. You would also need to remove the grips, this could be hard or really easy, depending on the kind of grip.

mtbr member
    Aren't the X7's like the Attack shifters with a little plastic screw plug on the outside that you remove and the cable comes right out?
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13