mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New 5" single-pivot for 2005: anyone got the skinny?

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had heard about the new 5" single pivot due out from Cannondale next season? It is supposed to be a lighter version of the Jekyll frame, pared down for trail/XC riding (more along the lines of the Fisher Cake-lighter tubing, not really meant to take Freeride-like drops-I believe the Cake's frame is about 1lb lighter). I hear 2-3 models for the new SP are in the works. Currently, my only complaint about the Jekyll is the somewhat-overbuilt frame (for a trail bike). If they drop a pound or so off the Jekyll (non-adjustable geometry) while keeping the Lefty Max TPC+ as well as a 70-degree head tube, this will be one sick trailbike! I am really digging the Jekyll 800 I have been test riding, even at the fairly hefty weight of 31lbs.

A couple of other things I would like to see from Cannondale-a Lefty kit for 1 1/8" steerer tubes (supposedly they are trying to get one released) and SPV in the Lefty Max (don't know if that is in the works or not). SPV at this point on the Lefty Max makes sense, as the Lefty is based off the Manitou Firefly design. The Firefly is now using SPV, and it would really help pedaling efficiency on the Max, being that it is 130mm and coil spung.

Are you talking to me?

The Cannondale rep was in town last week.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had heard about the new 5" single pivot due out from Cannondale next season? It is supposed to be a lighter version of the Jekyll frame, pared down for trail/XC riding (more along the lines of the Fisher Cake-lighter tubing, not really meant to take Freeride-like drops-I believe the Cake's frame is about 1lb lighter). I hear 2-3 models for the new SP are in the works. Currently, my only complaint about the Jekyll is the somewhat-overbuilt frame (for a trail bike). If they drop a pound or so off the Jekyll (non-adjustable geometry) while keeping the Lefty Max TPC+ as well as a 70-degree head tube, this will be one sick trailbike! I am really digging the Jekyll 800 I have been test riding, even at the fairly hefty weight of 31lbs.

A couple of other things I would like to see from Cannondale-a Lefty kit for 1 1/8" steerer tubes (supposedly they are trying to get one released) and SPV in the Lefty Max (don't know if that is in the works or not). SPV at this point on the Lefty Max makes sense, as the Lefty is based off the Manitou Firefly design. The Firefly is now using SPV, and it would really help pedaling efficiency on the Max, being that it is 130mm and coil spung.
    He was very tight lipped about new products.

Nothing on the new frame design, but he said there were no plans on releasing a 1 1/8" Lefty. As far as the SPV Lefty goes, perhaps that or a TerraLogic Lefty. He was not clear on that one, but plans are in the works for a Lefty upgrade.
    gfy

ceteris paribus
    Hmm... Terralogix Lefty... that sounds... delicious...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It is supposed to be a lighter version of the Jekyll frame
    I think you mean a lighter version of the Gemini...

Tom

Baked Alaskan

Cake not 1lb lighter than Jekyll, no way...

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had heard about the new 5" single pivot due out from Cannondale next season? It is supposed to be a lighter version of the Jekyll frame, pared down for trail/XC riding (more along the lines of the Fisher Cake-lighter tubing, not really meant to take Freeride-like drops-I believe the Cake's frame is about 1lb lighter). I am really digging the Jekyll 800 I have been test riding, even at the fairly hefty weight of 31lbs.
    With the same spec, the Cake is probably within a couple ounces of the Jekyll. I had a large Jekyll with the caad4 swingarm and it was 6.3 pounds. I think it was from model year 2000. The newer swingarm is lighter. Now way the Cake is a 5 pound frame, no way. Especially with the complete bikes weighing 28-30 pounds.

The 800 has heavy wheels, and the post/seat/bars are probably generic... meaning they're heavy too. My Jekyll was about 27.5# and I ran big tires and generic tubes, no fancy bolts or anything like that and 4-piston Grimeca brakes. I say about cause it was weighed on a hanging scale and the needle was right between 27 and 28. A friend has his under 25. But it's built with XTR/crossmax/marta and lots of carbon, including the Lefty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    but he said there were no plans on releasing a 1 1/8" Lefty.
    I understand that Cannondale wants to keep the Lefty exclusive and sell bikes based on the fact that Cannondales and Cannondales alone are equipped with one. They think that the Lefty sells bikes. It probably does, but frankly, Cannondales frames are not good enough to make me choose on of their bikes on the basis it having a Lefty. I'm dying to ride a Lefty on my Racer-X as is my buddy who owns a Blur. We both love our frames and wouldn't trade them for [l]anything[/] but damn if we wouldnt like to have one of those forks. There are many like me who appreciate the strengths of the Lefty but are put off by the entire package.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    Cannondales frames are not good enough to make me choose on of their bikes on the basis it having a Lefty
    Why? I watched someone freeride on a F-1000 the other night with a 4" lefty...he did a 10' drop on it...not to mention pleny of other drops and stunts...he beats the hell out of his bike and it holds up like a champ...

Around me (in Poughkeepsie NY) go to any race and I'd guess that about 40% of all the bikes in the race will be Cannondales...(a lot of Scalpels).

I don't buy the crack and fail thing...other brands break just as much or more but don't have the rep that C'dales do...look at Ellsworth...The shop near my house is always dealing with broken frames...

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Church
    Why? I watched someone freeride on a F-1000 the other night with a 4" lefty...he did a 10' drop on it...not to mention pleny of other drops and stunts...he beats the hell out of his bike and it holds up like a champ...

Around me (in Poughkeepsie NY) go to any race and I'd guess that about 40% of all the bikes in the race will be Cannondales...(a lot of Scalpels).

I don't buy the crack and fail thing...other brands break just as much or more but don't have the rep that C'dales do...look at Ellsworth...The shop near my house is always dealing with broken frames...

Tom
    Nothing against Cannondale, I have one of their cross frames. Thier durability is very good and warranty service is some of the best in the business. But they dont compare to my Titus RX in terms of stiffness or ride quality. I consider the RX to be the best XC frame in the business, and I consider the Lefty to be the best XC fork in the business. I just wish I could have them both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haven't heard about it, but thought I should clear up a few things about the Jekyll...
    First, 31 lbs is a heavy build for the Jekyll. I know 3 or 4 guys who have had Geminis that weighed less than 28 lbs with the Lefty Max. That's a much beefier frame than the Jekyll. My brother in law has a 2004 Jekyll 1000 and with a couple of minor upgrades it could easily be under 27lbs. Not many "real" trailbikes out there that weigh less. (The newer Jekyll with 5" travel eliminates what I saw as the ONLY problem of the previous Jekyll - the low BB).
    A couple of other things I would like to see from Cannondale-a Lefty kit for 1 1/8" steerer tubes (supposedly they are trying to get one released)
    Ah, that would be sweet. Alas, I don't think it's going to happen, but I have seen a couple of guys on this forum who had their own machined, which is certainly doable...[/QUOTE]
    and SPV in the Lefty Max (don't know if that is in the works or not). SPV at this point on the Lefty Max makes sense, as the Lefty is based off the Manitou Firefly design. The Firefly is now using SPV, and it would really help pedaling efficiency on the Max, being that it is 130mm and coil spung.
    SPV only makes sense if you're interested in a more efficient ride. I haven't heard any reliable reviews/comparisons that didn't leave me with the impression that the SPV is slightly less plush on small stuff. Personally, I think the current Lefty Max with TPC+ is perfect. Wouldn't want to sacrifice any of my TPC+ plushness for the rough trails I like to ride...