Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New 2008 Scalpel

What do you think about the new 2008 Scalpel with 100 mm of rear travel. I'm looking to buy the Scalpel 2, but I'm still worried about the rear suspension system. Does the carbon chain-stays works softly or do they bobs ?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ... and what to think about the weight they have on their internet site ? (Sclapel 2 = 25.8 lbs)

LA CHÈVRE
    What worries you? That the carbon could snap after repeated flexings? The old Scalpel never had any issue with the bending chainstays and the whole flexing was concentrated in one spot. The new ones flex over a longer part of the stays so at any particular point, the carbon now flexes less dramatically than it used to at the mid point of the old Scalpel so I would guess it will hold on at least as long as the life of the bike, nothing to worry about IMO, Cannondale must have simulated 20 years of continuous bottoming out bumps in their testing process.

As for bobbing, if there were any, the RP23 shock would gladly take care of it. Even without a platform shock, there shouldn't be too much bob as the effective pivot is close to the top portion of the chain (where the force of the crank pulling the rear cog is, the closer the pivot on a single pivot design is from that line, the more neutral the suspension is). The carbon stays should also make a nice progressive feel so it wont feel as plush as the Rush that only has 10mm more travel, flexing carbon is stiffer than a pivot with bearings so while most suspension rely on just the shock to control the movement, the stays help too.

I think the bike is very well designed, it's a step up from the last Scalpel which was already a great design, the best FS XC race bike if you ask me. Now this new one has what the old one missed for me and then some so I will probably end up with one at some not too far point in the future.

As for the weight, looks realistic to me, give or take a bit depending on sizing.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Scalpel rear carbon stay

I have a rode my 06 scalpel for 1000 miles in the past year and so far the carbon stay has remained quite durable. I noticed its much stiffer than my rush given The short travel but in a way it helps you go faster because of the slingshot effect of the flexing of the stay. less power transfer loss since it springs back and push you faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Scalpel 2 weight

As for the weight, looks realistic to me, give or take a bit depending on sizing.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about the weight. I thought it should weight something more like 24.5lbs, giving the fact that it has the Lefty Carbon Fox, the carbon frame and the light DT XR 4.2D wheels ?

And when I look on their site, some other weights make no sense (like the Rush 4 at 26.4lbs and the Rush Carbon 3 - at 1000$ more - at 27.4lbs).

mad aussie
    Cannondale Rep told me there are some errors on the website with weights, I think the Rush models are reversed. I would expect it to come in under or around 25lb with the spec.
    I have ridden a Carbon Scalpel and found it to pedal efficiently, there was actually less bob than my 06 Scalpel, on the flip side it isnt as active as the Rush over the smaller bumps, but it has more in reserve than the old model for larger bumps. I think it would be a great choice for a fast XC bike, although I am still leaning towards the Carbon Rush for long distance comfort and versatility.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

sclpel vs. rush

The Rush is a great playbike/racer, and the Scalpel a xc race machine aafter being on both back to back on te same trail. All in all a tough choice. My carbon Rush is my favorite current bike , but may lose most of its riding time to the scalpel when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What would you choose between the 2008 Scalpel 2 and the 2008 Epic Expert Carbon ?

Spec tells that the Epic Expert Carbon comes around 24lbs. Is this realistic ? (If we compare their components, these 2 bikes should be about the same weight)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemieujp
    What would you choose between the 2008 Scalpel 2 and the 2008 Epic Expert Carbon ?

Spec tells that the Epic Expert Carbon comes around 24lbs. Is this realistic ? (If we compare their components, these 2 bikes should be about the same weight)
    the scalpel is hands down lighter than the epic. you could possibly build the scalple(a 4 inch travel bike) to weigh in the 20 to 21 range for a size large with resonible parts.

but the big deal here is not weight. i tried the epic multiple times and frankly it sucks. i think a hardtail works better than an epic. the suspension design on the new scalpel is so much better and smoother. even with the dtswiss shock(which has not pedaling platform at all) climbing with it open was still super stiff and had little bob. i thinkt he fox rp23 will make the scalpel unbelieveably nice.

weight is not everything but in this case the scalpel beets the epic on the weight and the function side of things. and don't forget, it is HANDMADE IN THE USA
    one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Scalpel should be avoided because it will take far too long to get one if you order it. Who wants to wait months and months for a bike?

Cannondale has screwed themselves by not being able to provide bikes in a timely manner. It leaves lifelong customers like myself searching for other options in other brands because Cannondale cannot deliver anything in their catalog. I wonder how many other sales they have lost besides mine because they cannot get bikes produced and delivered to stores.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Must be avoided?! Come on! This is a 2008 model and its new. This is not the only new model that CD has to manufacture aand distribute globally. A few years ago I Iooked into a Blur. I would have waited a year. Now that was a joke. If you want one before 2008, be patient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglecat
    Must be avoided?! Come on! This is a 2008 model and its new. This is not the only new model that CD has to manufacture aand distribute globally. A few years ago I Iooked into a Blur. I would have waited a year. Now that was a joke. If you want one before 2008, be patient.

Ahh, but the trick is that they don't have any 2007's either. No inventory whatsoever. A guy like me who needs a new bike must look elsewhere if Cannondale literally does not have anything available in almost their entire product line. Scalpels, nope..Rush's, nope...hardtails, nope(except for the Taiwanese low end)...29ers, nope.

LA CHÈVRE
    That's true for many brands at this time of the year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    apacherider, that isn´t a cannondale specific problem, MANY brands have that problem.
    and by the way, this is 2008 bikes, what year is it now? not 2008 yet.

and here in sweden, you don´t want to take your best bike outside in the winter, better to have a winter training bike

mad aussie
    Cannondale have actually been pushing their delivery dates back, which is something that hasnt occured in previous years. It does seem like they have a stop in production around Interbike showtime, I am not sure of the reason. We have lost a couple of Cannondale sales because people tend to want their new bike NOW, instead of waiting a couple of months. For example a customer purchased a Blue instead of a Cdale Synapse because he would have to wait until November (despite the fact he had been riding his CAAD8 happily for a couple of years). It seems like the delivery is better on the road bike side of things than the mountain bike side. We actually have had a couple of Super Six bikes come in (unfortunately or fortunately none in my size.....)

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Ahh, but the trick is that they don't have any 2007's either. No inventory whatsoever. A guy like me who needs a new bike must look elsewhere if Cannondale literally does not have anything available in almost their entire product line. Scalpels, nope..Rush's, nope...hardtails, nope(except for the Taiwanese low end)...29ers, nope.
    I don''t agree with this staement at all. I just ordered a left over Optima 1 CX bike, and it will be at my dealer on Tuesday of next week. I spoke to an inside rep. and they have a pretty good array of left overs. If your looking for a high end bike order them now and you'll see them in weeks not months. Just my 2 cents. Maybe your dealer isn't informed correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    all you who are worried about delivery dates. i'll prove you all wrong. delivered 10-23-07

http://coryswihart.com/Site/bike.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    When did you order it?? I just ordered mine on 10/22 - woohoo!!
    "It's not who you are inside, but what you do that defines you"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What size is that??? Large?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i ordered in september. what model you getting?
    size L

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    as for the rush - we ordered the 2008 rush2 for my wife about 3 weeks ago on a monday and it was at the shop 3 days later.
    fritz

mtbr member
    it's hunting season in PA (Bedford County). % of male factory workers that hunt in PA, 99%

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i got to ride a new scalpel at the usgp derby city cx race and it was pretty sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does anyone know what the size of the seatpost, its 27.2 like the older ones...?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    Does anyone know what the size of the seatpost, its 27.2 like the older ones...?
    Yes, still 27.2.... and I assume a 31.8 front derailleur clamp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast