mtbr member
    Sep 2007

new 2007 f3.. scratch from the kick stand dealer had on.

got a new 2007 f3 yesterday. i like the bike. only thing is the cannondale dealer who sold me this bike had kick stand on it. so today, i took it off to go out on short ride. noticed that the bottom of the fram where the kick stand made contact has number of deep scratch due to the kick stand.

do i need to do touch up paint? or do i take it back to the dealer and have them do something about it? the dealer which i bought this is out of town dealership.

pete

War machine member

Personally???

I'd take it back to the shop. I have no idea why they'd put a k-stand on an aluminum frame not designed to accept a k-stand. Kickstands and aluminum frames are a bad combination, as evidenced by the damage to your frame.

Prophet converted!
    I would take it back and ask for a different bike.
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    I would take it back and ask for a different bike.
    Maybe he'll end up with a Prophet, like you did!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    Maybe he'll end up with a Prophet, like you did!
    I bet that would make his day! It sure put a huge smile on my face.
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    took a look at the scratch little more. it's just paint job that's messed up. the frame itself is not damaged.. minor surface scratch maybe, but not as deep as the serial numbers. this was the only 2007 orange caffeine 3 they had and i like it a lot. not sure if i want this thing changed unless they can get me another orange one. i'll give them a call and see what they say.

pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly rider
    ...Kickstands and aluminum frames are a bad combination, as evidenced by the damage to your frame.
    Could you (or someone) elaborate on this?
    My son put a kickstand on his F6, since he uses it for (amount many other things) his paper route. A few scratches in the paint are expected and no biggie (under the BB area they aren't visible anyway), but I'd like to know if the kick stand is going to cause more structural or other problems over time. I'd hate to see that frame fail or get damaged because we didn't know any better! - Thanks!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    take it back. a F3 should not have a kickstand. no bike going off road should have a kick stand!

mtbr member
    Can you post a pic?

If it's just a couple cosmetic scratches, I wouldn't sweat it. After a couple weeks of riding, you'll have more scratches and scuffs to match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    Can you post a pic?

If it's just a couple cosmetic scratches, I wouldn't sweat it. After a couple weeks of riding, you'll have more scratches and scuffs to match.
    called the cannondale service office. they say it will not hurt the frame. spoke to the dealer. he is willing to put touch up paint on it. i'll take it in and have them put clear coat on it instead of putting wrong color.i like the bike and i'm keeping it as it is. been riding everyday and don't want to bother with changing it out and all that. cannondale says it will not void the warranty by doing touch up, so i got no issue. talking to local people who rides all the time, the bike will get scratched up and paint will get chipped anyway. i'll just upgrade to new bike in few years.

pete

mtbr member
    Cool--glad to hear it.

mtbr member
    yep, its a mountain bike. its supposed to have scratches.