mtbr member
    May 2005

NEW 2005 Prophet 800..Worth ???

Ok you Cannondale experts please give me some advice. I came across this new 05 Prophet 800 for sale and am wondering what it might be worth. He is asking $1300 and the MSRP in 05 was $2000. I think $1300 is to much personally. It's second up from the bottom entry level 600 model in the 05 lineup.

Here is the link http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5VE8.html

Also would a large frame Prophet be to big for someone who is 5' 10" (the bike above is a medium I know which would be best I know)

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As far as price, it depends on the components. If its stock, 1300.00 sounds like a bit much, especially that its 4 yrs old. i picked up an 05 prophet 600 in 2006 and paid 900.00, pretty worked up with upgrades and the bike rocks. As far as fit, i am 5'11'' and the med is fine, but i have a short torso, someone with alonger torso would probably fit better on a large. Go to a dealer if you can and size yourself up and see what fits better. is it equipped with a lefty? LEFTY rocks Alos, check ebay there are always a few there

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have an '05 Prophet 800. I bought mine new in January '07 for $1500 from Helen's in Santa Monica. I would pay $1000 at most for the same bike today. But I do think you can get a better deal only because the bike is 4 years old now. For about $1300 you can probably get a better equipped, newer, and lightly used Prophet on ebay.

I'm 5'11" and ride a Large. My friend who is the same height rides a Medium. You'll have to test ride it to see how it fits you. I tried his bike and it feels a wee bit small for me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scotte2981
    As far as price, it depends on the components. If its stock, 1300.00 sounds like a bit much, especially that its 4 yrs old. i picked up an 05 prophet 600 in 2006 and paid 900.00, pretty worked up with upgrades and the bike rocks. As far as fit, i am 5'11'' and the med is fine, but i have a short torso, someone with alonger torso would probably fit better on a large. Go to a dealer if you can and size yourself up and see what fits better. is it equipped with a lefty? LEFTY rocks Alos, check ebay there are always a few there
    Bike is new, never used and totally stock as far as I can tell. See my link above to the Cannondale archive site for components.

Size thing...actually this is for a friend who is 5' 10" and I was just "wondering" if a large frame should be considered in our search for a used bike.

Thanks

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad
    Bike is new, never used and totally stock as far as I can tell. See my link above to the Cannondale archive site for components.

Size thing...actually this is for a friend who is 5' 10" and I was just "wondering" if a large frame should be considered in our search for a used bike.

Thanks
    It all depends on how the bike feels and fits.
    I'm 6'1" and moved from a M to a L Prophet....
    L would be to big for your buddy, but if he has an inseam of 32" or so it'll be a different story.
    Also, I believe $1.300,- is way to much for a 4 year old bike, regardless if it's in new condition or not, since like the others stated already you can get a better spec'd Prophet on eBay for around $850.- to $1.000,-
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V