mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Need a spring for a Lefty Max 130

I have a 2003 Jekyl I bought new. The fork was in need of a rebuild again so I sent it to Mendon Cyclesmith. When he took it apart he found the spring was broken. Unfortunately Cannondale doesn't handle the springs for that fork any more.

Can anyone help me with a spring for it?

I'm not sure of the colors but rider weight is about 170

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've been watching ebay for about 6 months trying to find a spring and haven't seen a single one on there.

Can anyone tell me if a 140 spring will work at all? If so do I need to use a lighter weight class spring because the spring is longer? Alter the spring in any way? Alter the fork internals?

I only use the bike as a back up now so I don't want to buy another fork just to make the bike useable again.

Ridin' dirty!
    I have an old spring for a lefty max 140 that I shortened about an inch.....before I throw it away you can give it a try and see if it fits or if you can actually use a cut 140 spring.
    All you would have to do is to pay for shipping.
    PM me if you're interested.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I have an old spring for a lefty max 140 that I shortened about an inch.....before I throw it away you can give it a try and see if it fits or if you can actually use a cut 140 spring.
    All you would have to do is to pay for shipping.
    PM me if you're interested.
    I'll just chime in and say that yes, a 140 would be too long, primarily due to how the fork goes back together, and it will create spring bind once you get into the travel.

The cut spring is a good idea to try, I would be careful with the cut end, make sure it's smoothed down,and perhaps put a washer between it and the contact point,so as not to damage or gouge out that area.

Wish I could help. I was down at the machining company this week, that made Headshock and Lefty stuff for many years (not any more) and that was one of the things I was looking for. Sadly, they didn't make them. I need to chat with Cannondale about who supplied those, next project.....

They did end up being a treasure trove of some goodness though. If you have a headshock with a dried out nasty elastomer, take heart, I'm your man now.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Still haven't been able to find a spring for this fork.

Does anyone have one laying around they're willing to part with?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Still looking.

Just FYI I can't return PM's yet because I don't have 10 posts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry but I need to up my post count to 10 so I can reply to a PM about a spring

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi--did you ever find one? I'm on the hunt for one as well... Anyone have an Extra Firm or XX-Firm spring (Black or Brown) for a MAx? And will a 140mm Max work in a 130mm RLC?

Thanks!