Sweet

Need a shorter stem on Prophet....

What to do? I don't want to get a Fox Fork, but I need a shorter stem.
    Please advise!
    More fun than an open casket funeral

siv
    mtbr member
    Look on e-bay. They usually go for around 30 bucks as opposed to 60 new. Make sure you and the seller know what you want and have before buying. I bought two so far and am looking for another maybe. Not sure what your issue is but you may also want to look at a setback seatpost, higher rise bar and utilizing the FR position in your shock mount.

Sweet
    What I mean is the bikeshop says I cannot get a shorter stem than what I have due to the Lefty.
    I am on a medium, I am 5' 7 and 180. I ride it in the FR setting. I dont want to get a different fork or bike for that matter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Have you tried moving your seat forward? or would that make it ride weird? Personally I'd get a new fork, but I plan on doing that anyways because I don't much like the Lefty. But thats just my personal opinion.

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crtlnd
    What I mean is the bikeshop says I cannot get a shorter stem than what I have due to the Lefty.
    I am on a medium, I am 5' 7 and 180. I ride it in the FR setting. I dont want to get a different fork or bike for that matter.
    I guess you mean because it will interfere with the top of fork. What are you using now, length and rise?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crtlnd

I'm almost the same size as you riding a medium. I got a 90mm 20 deg. rise and gravity 40mm riser bars. The difference is like night and day (front the original 90mm 5 deg). That change brought my grips about 1-1/2" closer and about 1" higher. My front tire pops up at will.

mtbr member

suggestion...rotate or replace riser bar

You can try rotating your riser bar towards you to shorten the reach. If this puts your hands too low, reverse the riser (left hand becomes right) so the sweep is in the opposite direction so that the rotated riser puts your hands up higher. If manipulating your current riser does not work, you could get another with a different rise/sweep.

You will have to loosen the brake/shifters to rotate the bar, then re-tighten at the correct angle

I like to ride my bike.
    You should either be able to order something from Cannondale or get something from the website in this thread...Need a Lefty/Headshok stem ??

Also, I just did a search and came up with a few related threads...
    Cannondale Stem Sources?
    Stem change on Rush
    •WHo Makes The Best Stems Fro Lefty/Headshock?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Sweet
    Thanks guys.