mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Need serious mental help! Deciding on Carbon upgrade.

Alloy frame has a seat tube crack. Cannondale is making some internal changes and there has been a delay in my new frame coming.

I have a small window before a bike trip early march. The LBS that has been looking after the claim has been great With all of my back and forth questions about a carbon upgrade.

The biggest plus is the frame is in stock and I can relax about having the bike I want for the trip. (I am assuming a 2012 carbon one as he said it is black and silver)

Options are, Wait and hope the alloy frame makes it. not to likely at this point)

Spend a 1000.00 On the carbon frame and enjoy having one.

I do race sport class (hopefully higher next year.) It will be my only bike and carbon has me a bit worried, only because of replacement cost if anything ever happened. Basically I wouldn't have the funds for a crash replacement.......I try hard not to crash.

I am going crazy trying to make a choice. I have the go ahead from the wife and am very close to having the money together.

I'm not so concerned with the weight difference as I don't think it is much. But is the ride Quality that much better? I have never been on one.

I don't want something that has to be cared for with gloves on if you know what I mean.

Oh Cannondale has been nice enough to get me a loner for my trip. So do I suck it up with what ever the loaner is or enjoy the trip on a brand new frame that I have wanted for over a year? Im having a hard time convincing myself.

mtbr member
    Find out what the loaner is and go from there. If it is as good or better I would KEEP my $1000 for the trip!=)My 2cents
    Bill
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wish it was that easy lol. Im pretty sure my wife just pushed me over the edge....to get the carbon!

The trip is shared with my race team so it is pretty much paid for. I will be to busy riding to spend money plus im cheap, maybe that is the main issue lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

I think you just want the carbon, unsay get it and then just ease into it like a new car. Just ride smarter and don't crash it. But honestly I think your under estimating what carbon can take. I am willing to be a garage will destroy more carbon frames than crashes. (Where people leave them on the car and pull in)

I would also assume they crack less but do crack, in those cases your covered.

One thing I have learned over the years. I should have just bought the bike I wanted instead of buying some less only to upgrade and pretty much could have bought the one I wanted. I bought a scalpel carbon team 2014, waiting to get it first week in March

Live free, your wife will only give you permission so many times in life. So I usually try to keep my bikes the same color so she has no idea when I change them...lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trackermi View Post
    Live free, your wife will only give you permission so many times in life. So I usually try to keep my bikes the same color so she has no idea when I change them...lol
    Haha. That's awesome! You are right about just getting the bike I want. When I got the alloy I though it was all I would want, Then I started to get better and started to race with good results. Carbon was the next step.

Im going for it.

mtbr member
    Just get the carbon. I don't know about the color though. Mine is black and white with green Cannondale logos. I raced my Flash Carbon last summer once and it was the first race I have done in years. I really liked it and how the bike made the race so much easier. My last race bike was a Kestrel CSX. I rode and raced that bike for many years, I had a couple of falls on it and that frame is still completely intact. I personally have no fear of carbon fiber and most worry way more then they should about it. Think about where your alloy cracked and I would bet it was at a weld. Carbon is all bonded and built to flex a little as to not break. The F29 frame is a very compliant and comfortable one. You will not be disappointed at all. Once you get it and build it you will wonder why you went with alloy at all..
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You are right. It broke on a weld. In my reading, I had no idea that aluminum has a pretty limited life expectancy compared to carbon.

mtbr member
    If they have your size and you have the money to do it, get it. You will have a warranty on that frame as well. So you should not have to worry about that either.This is my 12 Flash carbon: Need serious mental help! Deciding on Carbon upgrade.-my-flash-29r.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice. I have a picture I got of the web of you bike hanger. I tried to use it to convince her to let me put bikes on the wall instead of a bookcase.....no go.

mtbr member
    It is a free standing rack. Not attached to anything. It contains my Synapse and my Flash. My Kestrel is sitting upstairs in my spare bedroom. I live in a townhouse and have no garage or basement. They had to go someplace..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    picking up the carbon frame on Thursday. Hope it lasts me the rest of my life....

mtbr member
    You'll be fine, quit stressing it!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    She's pretty sweet......in the house I guess. will ride it in 1 week from today.

Came it at 20.07 pounds and that is with the stock alloy seat post/riser bar and elixer 3 brakes. If I would not get killed by my wife, I could take another pound off easy, maybe more.

I was surprised when they weighed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Looks awesome, just make sure that seat post has enough distance into the seat tube. My just be the angle but looks pretty far out.

Like the look though and you can't complain about that weight.

Your wife will forgive you, just do some dishes or something. Whenever I wanted to convince my wife something was a good idea I just convince someone else to my wife. As long she doesn't hear it from me she thinks it's a great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    the minimum insertion is about 3/4 of an inch under the collar. There should be an inch and a half below the to tube. same as my alloy that cracked in the set tube. the stock post is 400mm, maybe I should look for a longer one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a 2013 carbon Flash that I road the wheels off....never once worried about the frame.

I'm on my 3rd Carbon bike , all Cannondale and issue free. Enjoy your trip

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Maybe just to be safe, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Congrats!!! Tough decision! Have a Great trip man! Be safe!
    Bill
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival

mtbr member
    What size frame do you ride that you have so much post sticking out of it? You notice in my pic I have no where near the post sticking out you do. I am riding a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Yeah now looking at that post (little deeper) and you mentioning only 1.5 inches of post below the collar, I am not sure that's such a great idea. If it were me, I would want the post out far enough where it gets below the top tube and seat stays.

I mean sure the post may have a spec of min insertion, but then there is the frame stress that may come into play also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its about 1.5 below the top tube.