mtbr member

Need Lefty Recommendations

I bought a Santa Cruz Solo (125mm full susser 650b bike) a few months ago and have logged about 350 miles on the Fox CTD fork that came with the bike.

I gave it a shot. It just does not compare to any the buttaery smooth travel of a lefty (confirmed via ride with my Rush this morning). Sure, they've got their issues, but I've yet to find a fork (I've also had a Rockshox Reba) that matches that buttery smooth travel of the Lefty.

So now I'm in a market for a Lefty and I need your help in figuring out what Lefty would best be suited for a 125mm rear travel 650b bike. Since I spent most of my dough on the Solo, I'm limited on budget although I did get the wife to approve some funding for a Lefty.

I'm thinking I'd need to go with a Lefty Max, but unsure as to what the best years were and what exactly I should be looking for and if I will need to put in any spacers, etc. (My Rush with Lefty 110mm DLR 660b requires nothing).

Any thoughts as to what a 110mm travel Lefty would do to the geo/feel? I think it would be odd to have a 15mm difference travel between front and back but maybe that is an option (the 110mm Lefty felt like it had as much travel as the 130mm Fox).

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I begin my hunt for a new Lefty.

Also - does anybody have any experience with the Project 3-2-1 adaptors?

Thanks in advance!
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im sure others will chime in, but some questions which will come up are.. whats the stack height of your headtube+headset? and what axle to crown is the bike designed for?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Im sure others will chime in, but some questions which will come up are.. whats the stack height of your headtube+headset? and what axle to crown is the bike designed for?
    Good questions - bike is the in shop (due to the Fox fork) but as soon as I have the answers to those questions I will post them up.
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)