Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

Need help selecting a Prophet.

My 2 main issues are:

1.) What size frame for someone that is 6'2" w/ approximately a 32-33" inseam? (EDIT: Inseam is actually 33.5".)

2.) Pricing. I am looking at an all stock '07 Prophet 3 Demo bike in avg condition, and an 05, maybe 06 Prophet 1000 w/ these upgrades: Sram 990 cassette, Sram hollow pin/hollow plate chain, E-13 polycarbonate bash guard, Race Face chain ring (36t), and Crank Bro candy pedals (pedals used less than a dozen times) in avg condition. I have no clue what a good price would be for these bikes, although I'm pretty sure the MSRP for both was over $2k when new. Is one preferred more than another? They both received great ratings in the reviews section of this site.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide me with.

-Joshua
    Last edited by Datalogger; 07-31-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Just a flesh wound
    The one that fits you better is the one to get. The frames are the same, just the components make the difference between prophets. The upgraded 1000 is probably a good value if it is in good shape.

I have an upgraded 05 800 and I love it. XTR rear SKF BB Crosstrail wheels.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Well in this case they are both the same size, and unfortunately are nowhere near me to try out.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Those upgrades on the 1000 are not to significant and are a preference.

For example,
    The pedals, if you are used to Shim SPDs, you will probably hate the CB candies. I hated my candies and went with Time ATACS, love them.

The chain, the hollow pin is a little tempermental with chain tools. I would not run one with the marginal weight savings. I run the 990 crossstep, better shifting.

Bash guard??? Fine if you need one.

The cassette is a decent upgrade, but only $100 msrp.

The race face chain ring is ok, but not a major upgrade since they wear out.

I would look for better wheels, a TPC lefty, and a better crankset. You are much less likely to replace those as a personal preference
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Im 6'1 with a 34" inseam and ride a large.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    ziscwg, I was thinking the same thing-I'm really not interested in most of those upgrades.

Duncan, Do you feel that you are at the far end of the spectrum as far as bike fit? You don't feel cramped at all?

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    For me the large is a perfect fit, very roomy even with my saddle pushed pretty far forward, so that I dont have to run a shorter stem and loose climbing performance. Hope that makes sense. If it doesnt I'll try to clarify.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    That's a perfect explanation, thank you. I wasn't 100% sure on my inseam so I ran and measured it quickly, and I'm actually about 33.5".
    Being able to fit on a Large will open up many more purchasing options. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Glad I could help!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Go with a Large. I'm barely 6'0", and I was riding a Medium for the longest time. On the Large it feels great for XC and downhill, but doesn't have the flickablity feel on jumps that the smaller bike had.

If that helps at all.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Thanks PaintPeelinPbody! The more votes I get for a Large, the more comfortable I feel giving someone $1,500+ w/o ever throwing a leg over the bike. If there were any Cannondale dealers near me I would simply go test ride one, but unfortunately the local Cannondale dealer closed their doors over 5 years ago, and one of the owners went into the Banking Industry.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've just bought a large and I'm 6ft. Feels fantastic! I was in the same position, no dealers locally, so I took the gamble, so pleased I did, I love my Prophet!

Do it!

mtbr member
    i'm 6'1 and have a 33" inseam and ride a large prophet 1000&LOVE IT! You wont be dissapointed.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Thanks guys!

SHIFT_
    Oct 2007
    I have a 07 Prophet 4, size large, If you are interested...
    1105071517.jpg
    Details http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7VE4.html
    07 Cannondale Prophet 4 - Sold
    06 Novara Ponderosa - Cracked
    New bike pending

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 6'-0", 32" inseam, 185 lbs in gear, and ride a med.

I asked my pro bike fitter about a large frame and he said I would have fit, but would have less flexibility on seat height and maybe have needed a shorter stem. My seat is raised a decent amount with a Thompson set back seatpost.

My LBS said the same thing, I could go either way on size.

One other thing, I did have to change my spring from a red to a black one on my med. They are only $35 or so and you can do it yourself.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdurbin
    I have a 07 Prophet 4, size large, If you are interested...
    Details http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7VE4.html
    Feel free to PM me what you're asking. I'm looking for a 3 or better, but for the right price...

mtbr member
    6'2 with a 34 inseam, I am sure 6'2" could go either way L or XL but after trying my friends XL I prefer the large for rocky rooty tight single track I ride and the small jumps and drops seem easier as well.

I could be wrong but the Prophet seems big vs. some other XL's, tried a guys Nomad (gets my vote for best looking bike ever) and his XL felt very much like my Large Prophet, just a 10-15 min fore rode ride......and one tends to take it real easy on a $5000 bike one doesn't want to buy but I hit enough rocks and ruts (up and down) to feel comfortable with my opinion on the size.

Why are sizes usually stated as seat tube length?? can I put a 4 foot seat post on a XS and it will fit, wouldn't horizontal top tube(middle of the head tube to middle of the seat tube) be a better system?

Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    Feel free to PM me what you're asking. I'm looking for a 3 or better, but for the right price...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am 6-6 and ride a Prophet large, no complaints, I love it.

I prefer the handling over size as I have a BMX background

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I"m right at about your height and with a slightly larger inseam and I just got fitted for an '08 Prophet 3...I went with an X...which is about a 21" bike.

Also, the shop I got mine from has a new '07 Prophet 3 (Large) with the lefty shock that I believe they said they could sell for about $2000...if only my legs weren't so long

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Thanks for the info Ray Lee and ASI CA!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Boilermaker
    I"m right at about your height and with a slightly larger inseam and I just got fitted for an '08 Prophet 3...I went with an X...which is about a 21" bike.

Also, the shop I got mine from has a new '07 Prophet 3 (Large) with the lefty shock that I believe they said they could sell for about $2000...if only my legs weren't so long
    Is it blue/black? I'm in PA, I take it they are in AZ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I can't remember but I"m thinking it was blue...yeah, it's in AZ.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Boilermaker
    I can't remember but I"m thinking it was blue...yeah, it's in AZ.
    Do they have a website by chance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    they do but it doesn't have product inventory

http://www.focuscyclery.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast