mtbr member
    May 2017

Need help...New Jekyll or New Trigger

Looking for some input from anyone who has tried either of these out. I live in Northern Maine. No big mountain trails here like Moab or Colorado or anything. I ride mostly at trail centers that are rocky, rooty, twisty Single track with lots of short ups and down and others that are fast and flowy. I have to climb up these very trails before heading down (no fire road climbs here). I also plan go to Sugarloaf Bike Park in New Brunswick, Canada a couple times a season. I will sacrifice some climbing capabilities so I can party more on the downhill but I do still need to climb up the rooted sections and rock ledges. I know the trigger is a better climber but by how much. Will the longer travel of the Jekyll outweigh the difference in climbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've always suspected the Trigger is the bike they want to sell and the bike they want you to ride. Almost all the marketing I've seen has been on Trigger. The Jekyll is the bike they made for Jerome to win races on. And he wins them going down things.

So, Trigger.

That said, I know nothing about the places you are going to ride, so take with a pinch of salt

Demo them both is the best way, but I guess that's tricky where you are?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    My LBS does have the trigger so I will be trying that out. No Jekyll's yet but they might get one in with time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have the Jekyll and love this bike so, so much. That said, in retrospect, the Trigger probably would have been just as good (at my skill level and riding style). For a 170mm bike the Jekyll is very responsive and climbs great.

I haven't ridden a new Trigger, but I can only imagine it's more responsive and climbs better and probably doesn't give up much on the downhill portion either.

I decided on the Jekyll for two reasons- the first is that I've always loved the model so there was an emotional connection. And second, I'm 6'5" and weigh 250 pounds so I wanted the biggest, burliest bike I could reasonably ride.

I also have an F-Si for when I feel like riding XC trails too. If I were to limit myself to one bike I probably would have gone with the Trigger over the Jekyll.

mtbr member
    I'm on the fence also, NorCal rider with big ups and big downs and the twice a year Downieville ride with the gang. Have a trigger on order but may go Jekyll. Coming off a Turner 5Spot DW.

Reason one, Jekyll looks better
    reason two, can lower fork 10mm and will put the Jekyll in that playful mode!
    reason three, probably my last big hit bike before age takes me to more Trail type bike.