Drink...sleep

Need help with lefty bearing reset

Hi guys,
    I'm having some trouble with resetting the needle bearings of my lefty on my Prophet 700SL. It is supposedly a Lefty Max Alloy 120 TPC. The internals absolutely don't match the tech manual of the Lefty Max 140 on the Cannondale website (my bike didn't come with a manual for the lefty). I've attached a picture of it. I suppose for resetting the bearings I have to somehow remove the upper black sleeves that you can see on the picture. The trouble is, I see no way of removing them. Does anyone know how to handle this? It sure looks like a crapload of work compared to the 140 Max. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

N.T
    mtbr member
    Maybe this helps you a bit
    manual

Drink...sleep
    Thanks, but I'd already checked that manual out. Maybe I'm missing something very obviously, but I still can't seem to remove those black sleeve like things at the top.

Are you talking to me?

I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Hi guys,
    I'm having some trouble with resetting the needle bearings of my lefty on my Prophet 700SL. It is supposedly a Lefty Max Alloy 120 TPC. The internals absolutely don't match the tech manual of the Lefty Max 140 on the Cannondale website (my bike didn't come with a manual for the lefty). I've attached a picture of it. I suppose for resetting the bearings I have to somehow remove the upper black sleeves that you can see on the picture. The trouble is, I see no way of removing them. Does anyone know how to handle this? It sure looks like a crapload of work compared to the 140 Max. Thanks!

In order to remove the black spacers, you need to compress the spring. Slide the large black unit down, over the spring. Grab the spring by hand, and compress it. As you do this, you will see that the small black spacer will slip out, and away from the shaft.
    gfy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Okay, here's the deal. You're right, it's different, and a bit more effort is needed, but not much. It seems wierd, but take the inner plastic one off first. Slide the outer aluminum one down to fully expose the plastic one. Inside of it, around the silver shaft, you will see another black ring, it's soft rubber, push it as far down as possible, but it will not go fully below the plastic ring. Push down a little bit on the spring, and peel the plastic one out from it's place, it's flexible, just peel it past the shaft, then the aluminum one will come out the same way, but a bit more easily. Feels like the wrong thing to do, but fear not, it's fine. Do this a few times, and other than getting a bit greasy, it's no big deal, but it does make you see why the newer ones are even less of an issue! Best of luck!

Drink...sleep
    Thanks guys, I did it. I the process I lost quite a bit of the red grease though. Can I just add a lithium based grease, or Finish Line Teflon grease, or should I try to remove all red grease first?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hiyer Bozzz
    I know this is off topic but i've gone and brought a 06 700 SL this week and should receive it next week and just wanted to know what you thought of yours.
    Thanks
    Glen

Drink...sleep
    Hi Glen,
    I've got the bike for quite a while now, and I think it's pretty good. It is my first full suspension bike though, so I can't compare to anything else. I bought a Lefty Max SPV with 140mm of travel on eBay for it, as the TPC+ was (initially) to much of a pogostick to me. The SPV isn't very supple though: the black stem cap has popped of a couple of times hitting a medium sized bump, like the root of a tree, even when climbing! This never happened with my TPC+ fork. I have now installed the softer blue titanium spring from my TPC+ fork in my SPV (which had a red spring) to see if it's any good. I will also try the TPC+ fork again, but now with the stiffer red spring, as the blue was too soft. This will maybe remove some of the pogostick factor. If I remember, I'll post here which one I'll keep Anyways, what I meant to say, the blue spring (which comes standard in both the medium and large 700SL's) is definately too soft in the TPC+ fork for someone my size (87 kg).

The Fox Float R at the rear is an okay shock. I whish it was a bit more plush sometimes over fast medium bumps, but it should be better than a Manitou Swinger from what I've heard.

I also installed a shorter 80mm stem with 20 deg. rise as my hands were getting pretty numb. I think I've gone too short though, so I'll probably go looking for a 100mm/20 deg stem.

I did have a problem with the chain rubbing the e-type plate on the front derailleur. Nobody knew a fix, so I solved that by filing some material of the e-type plate. Also the FSA Megaexo (crank) bearings crapped out on me after 500 km. The grease in there is poor quality, so be aware of any scraping noises or sudden resistance. I opened them up and found them all rusted. I cleaned them though and, packed with fresh, high quality waterproof grease, they still might go for a while.

What more to say? The rear hub (C'dale Fire) which has a bad reputation is still going strong; I installed fatter tyres, the Serac XCs are really skinny; and I recently put on a 203 mm front rotor, the 160mm wasn't cutting it for me on steep descents (outside of the Netherlands, of course )

Overall, it might be the best of the Prophet SL's, as all the other ones with their 110mm air-sprung Lefty's are just a tad heavy Rushes with a longer rear suspension. At least the 700SL has 120mm instead of 110 in the front. Anyways, I hope you'll like the bike and if you run into any problem or need more info, feel free to ask.

Members who have read this thread: 0