mnt bike laws of physics

Need help on how to change SL damper oil

I would like to learn how to change the damper oil in the 2007 Lefty DLR SL. I just bought a Castle tool. Can anyone help :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This is for the DLR2 rather than the SL, but I believe it's almost identical:

http://randompic.compare-loan-rates....ctionsDLR2.pdf

(Don't worry about the slightly dubious sounding URL, it's the only place I've got to host it at the moment!)

mad aussie
    The owners manual supplement on Cannondale's website under tech has some very good cut aways showing the construction of the damper. Its hard to explain, but once you get started on it, it is pretty simple.
    Just make sure you clean the threads and apply a small amount of loctite before reassembly!

Kevin

mnt bike laws of physics

Thanks for the file but...

Quote Originally Posted by GlenH
    This is for the DLR2 rather than the SL, but I believe it's almost identical:

http://randompic.compare-loan-rates....ctionsDLR2.pdf

(Don't worry about the slightly dubious sounding URL, it's the only place I've got to host it at the moment!)
    my computer said the file was damaged :-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Strange - it works fine for me. Perhaps you need a newer version of Acrobat reader (i'm using version 8)?

LA CHÈVRE
    Works fine for me too, no Acrobat at all but I'm on a Mac...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mnt bike laws of physics
    Damn! I uploaded version 8 and my stupid computer still says the file is damaged. Thanks for the help anyways. I will try to take it apart and see what happens. do I need any special tool besides the castle tool?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You need a Park Tools green pin spanner (although you can get away with some needle nose pliers).

If you just want to change the oil, you can get away without taking the damper apart totaly. Just undo the top plastic cap (which is what you need the pin spanner for) and drain (pump the rod a few times). Re-fill, pumping the rod again to make sure there is no air trapped. Fill right to the top and screw in the cap, opening the bleed valve a bit to let the excess oil out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Oh, and make sure you release all the pressuer from the fork before you unscrew the damper with the castle tool, or the air piston will fly out at considerable speed!!

mnt bike laws of physics

Hey, Thanks for the safety bulletin...

You are the best Glen! I just happen to have a green pin spanner I should were my helmet and glasses when I service it just in case I don't get all the air out
    Again, thanks a bunch for your help and advise.

mtbr member

hey

where is the best place to bu the tools? is it a cannondale oe tool or is the castle tools made by a another tool company thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Castle tool is only available from Cannondale.

You can however, use a Park Yellow (SPA-4) pin spanner on a dlr2/sl as the top of the cartridge is not recessed once the air is released.

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...5&item=SPA%2D4

Kanonkuglen.dk
    For Yogiprophet: Where did you buy the castle tool? From your LBS or privat?
    And can I as a private person ask my LBS to order a castle from Cannondale to me?

I often see all the Cannondale tools in their manuals, does that mean I can order them as a private person, or is it only for shops?

mtbr member
    You can order the tools from any Cannondale shop

Kanonkuglen.dk
    That sounds great... my LBS seems pretty reluctant about these tool! Telling me that it is only for shops, and not for normal customers? So I just wanted to be shure whether a normal customer can go and order this tool:-)! I even thought about contacting Cannondale to be shure whether or not a normal customer can order their tools:-)!

mtbr member
    Your LBS is just being a dick because they think they will lose
    revenue if you do the job yourself .
    If this is the case, just order it from the next closest C'Dale dealer .

Kanonkuglen.dk
    Yearh you're probably right about that:-)! But are you absolutly sure that everyone (customers) can order such tools as Castle Tool, Shaft Clamps and the bullet tool?
    Thanks...

mnt bike laws of physics

Anybody!!!!!

Even if you do not own a Cannondale, they should order the tool for you NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

What I always do when I want a Cannondale specific tool or part is to look at the Tech section of their website and bring the part number to the shop and TELL THEM TO ORDER THIS FOR ME.

Go for it and have fun working on your own bike and learning about how it works.