mtbr member
    Sep 2012

need help finding a stem for my my flash

I have a 2012 flash alloy 2. I have searched and I am trying to find a shorter stem. due to the lefty its kind of hard. I went to my LBS and they say they are about 100 dollars through cannondale. I find that way to expensive for a basic alloy stem. I have looked online but haven't found much. Not sure what the stock size it but it has to be 110 or 120, its pretty damn long. Im 5"11 and ride a large and want to shorten my reach a bit.

LA CHÈVRE
    Were they talking about the stem-steerer combos? Not just basic alloy stems if that's what they refered to... But you can find them much cheaper on ebay, bought a new one for 25$ when the OPI model was released (mine is the XC3 stem-steerer, not as slick and doesn't have the possibility to add spacers raise it but it's less prone to creak and stiffness and weight are about the same as the new ones). There are plenty of 90mm long ones right now, I think it's the shortest Cannondale makes (but many people would agree if you need one shorter than that on a XC bike, you might have a too big frame. Some other companies make Lefty/Headshok sized stems but most need a separate steerer.

The size is marked on your stem to know what you currently have. If you have the XC3, it's on the top under the plastic cap. OPI stems are marked underneath, close to the handlebar.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    you can see its pretty damn long.

mtbr member
    What Dan said, if you don't want one of the OPI stems, Hope make a really nice Lefty stem!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a 2012 OPI 90mm -15deg stem I would part with for $50 plus shipping
    Cannondale Stem OPI 31.8 90mm x -15 Deg.- QSH090-15/BBQ - CannondaleExperts.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for the offer but I rather just buy a stem I can just install like a normal stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubstatic View Post
    thanks for the offer but I rather just buy a stem I can just install like a normal stem.
    Then you will also need a steerer tube, which is part of the stem you currently have. Cannondale used to have a separate stem and steerer tube, but have not used that configuration for several years.

Here is a link to one made by Project 321. Once installed, you have more choices for stems. Not really a cheap option, but it provides you with a lot of flexibility in the future.

PROJECT 321 | Products: 1.125" Cannondale Steerer Tube
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The stem and steerer on mine are 2 separate parts. My setup is just like a normal bike with a regular style fork. It just has a funky steerer size so 1.5 stems don't fit

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Try cannondaleexperts.com, I paid around $50 for a full stem + steerer combo, so you should be able to find just the stem for even less.

LA CHÈVRE
    They're on sale at 40$ right now: Cannondale XC3 Headshok + Lefty Stems 31.8 - CannondaleExperts.com but I sometimes see them go for 20$ new on ebay.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :