mtbr member
    Dec 2007

need coda disk upgrade tips

I have a F900 sx, with a Lefty fork. Of course I am not happy with the everlasting struggle with the Coda disks and I am looking to upgrade. I do have budget and would like some tips.
    -Are 6 bolt Lefty wheel sets readily available? I am a larger rider and want more heavy duty wheels, any suggestions?
    -Are most calipers compatible with the Cannondale bolt pattern on the frame? If so what is a solid brake at a decent price?

I'm sure these are common questions and I appreciate the advice, also if anyone has any used wheels or brakes I would be interested.
    Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JamsG
    -Are 6 bolt Lefty wheel sets readily available? I am a larger rider and want more heavy duty wheels, any suggestions?
    -Are most calipers compatible with the Cannondale bolt pattern on the frame? If so what is a solid brake at a decent price?
    #1 Yes. If you need a beefier hub than 32, check out Woodman hubs, they offer a 36. Cannondales are 32 or 24. Industry 9 and Mavic both make 6 bolt Lefty wheelsets too. I9 makes an Enduro wheelset, that my hardest hitting customer has yet to make whimper.

#2 If you mean the Coda brake rotors working with other "modern" discs, no, they are 151mm R and 171mm F, everyone one today is 160mm. A solid brake for a good price is the Avid BB7. Otherwise the world is your oyster, but I prefer mineral oil based systems, since using DOT brake fluid introduces a caustic element to brake bleeds, yuck. My 2 cents....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Doooooo it. I just did a similar replacement on my old Jekyll from 2001 (though the new wheels have yet to arrive).

For the breaks you're fairly safe in terms of mount compatibility. The mounts on the lefty and the frame are *almost* International Standard. The almost is there because the spacing between the mount and the rotors on pre-2002 models isn't quite the same as IS. This shouldn't affect your purchase choice, but it is something to be aware of because a) you'll probably need a few extra spaces and b) you may see companies like Woodman claiming that their hubs aren't compatible with pre-2002 lefties, which actually just refers to the difference in the brakes (I e-mailed them and Cannondale).

I decided to go with a pair of Formula K18s and Industry Nine wheels (just shipped today!!). Other than testing if they fit, I haven't used the brakes on the Jekyll yet, but I've been riding them on my GF's spare RockHopper and they are AWESOME (and not too pricey either). I doubt you'll be disappointed no matter what you get, at least if your Codas were as bad as mine.