mtbr member
    Oct 2016

NEED ADVICE: Going 1x11 or 1x12 on 2016 Habit 4

Stock groupset is Shimano SLX 2x10.

I am at a point with my bike where my chain and rear derailleur need to be replaced, which got me thinking about going 1x.

I am looking for advice and recommendations on whether to stay Shimano and go Shimano XT 1x11 or go SRAM 1x12 GX Eagle?

My main questions are:

1. If I go SRAM, do I have to replace the driver with a SRAM XD one?
    2. The stock shifters and brake levers are combined. Do I have to replace my brake levers to make either/both of these options work?
    3. Is there any compelling reason to do either?
    4. Any other considerations I am not thinking of?

I live in TX where there is not a ton of long, steep inclines where I would need to rely on a really easy gear for long, but I love the idea of the extra range from the 1x12. Would love any experienced advice anyone can provide. Thank you.
    2016 Cannondale Habit 4
    2010 Cliff Windsor 4900 - Fox Float RL 130, Velociraptors

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    1. You don't have to replace the freehub body with an xd driver if you choose to use 3rd party cassettes (SunRace, Gaburuk)
    2. You don't have to replace the brake levers, but you'll definitely not be able to use i-spec anymore
    3. From what you mentioned, it seems that the GX Eagle is overkill for your local terrain, the XT 1x11 is fine though
    4. Maybe you could try an oval chainring as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    If you want a 10 tooth as your top gear, you need an XD driver. I believe that is the requirement for all the 1x12 SRAM setups. If you want range, stick with your 2x10. It will be cheaper in the long run. I have 1x11 Shimano XT on my wifeís bike and I find the range a little limited and it isnít buttery smooth with that big 46 tooth ring out back. That said, it is idiot proof as far as what you should shift when you realize you need to change a gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    bumping to hopefully get a few more opinions here. Thanks!
    2016 Cannondale Habit 4
    2010 Cliff Windsor 4900 - Fox Float RL 130, Velociraptors

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have the Bad Habit which came with same stock 2 x10. Just put an absolute black chainring on front for 1 x 10 and leave the back alone. A lot cheaper that way.

For a replacement chain use a KMC X10SL. SL = Super Light

I just bought a new fat bike with 1 x 12 and I have some moderate climbs in my area and the 1 x 12 is overkill in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Go 1x11.

Keep your existing cranks. Use a 30t or 32t on the big ring. Keep the granny on the crank. They weigh next to nothing.

For that extremely rare climb where the low end is not enough on the cassette, do a manual chain drop on to the granny.

Its what I've been doing for a few years and love it. If you really don't need the range of a 1x12, and in TX you probably don't, I'd avoid it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    if you don't have extremes on the same ride [very steep climbs and then fast flat group riding] then 1x11 will be fine...

Happy Trails
    1X is awesome. Best value option for you is Shimano 1X11. I think youíll like this better than 1X10 on your existing setup and you probably donít need 1X12, especially now that Shimano has 46Tooth cassette. I would (actually I did ...) swap out the crank and derailleur to get the improved ďone-byĒ chain retention, shorter chain, and shorter derailleur cage length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk