mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My Trail SL2 29er weights

Hey guys,
    I got an '11 trail sl2 in xl and I love the bike. I know its heavy, 30+lbs, but I was wondering about some of the specs of the bike and where you can cut some weight. I have researched published weights of some things but I had to weigh the Cannondale branded stuff myself. The only upgrades I have done (although not all pictured) are chucked the stock saddle and put a WTB pure V saddle. Ditched the Small block 8s and put a Nevegal up front and an Ignitor out back. These Time atac pedals have been on 3 of my bikes and I wont get rid of them anytime soon either. Here are some things that I hope will help some people out. I plan to update this list and others are welcome to also.

Maddux DC3.0 wheels
    F ~1025g
    R ~1325g

Shimano HG61 12-36 cassette
    330g

Shimano SM RT51 rotors (6bolt)
    145g (bolts not included)

Skewers
    ~130g

Seat post
    ~403g

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm also really curious about the weight of this bike. Is it possible for you to get a total weight on the bike?

mtbr member
    Here is a great article on 26 vs 29. The bikes they used were the SL 2 and SL 29er 2. Their medium SL 29er 2 weighed in an 30.1 lbs and the SL 2 came in at 28.6.

26er Versus 29er: The Shootout You've Been Asking For | News | Main

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Beat me to it. I was going to post weight by my bathroom scale, was 31lbs if I remember. But there is so many ways to upgrade on the cheap that its worth it to me to not buy a 2k+ bike right away. I mean, even putting those LX cranks on sale at Jenson for $89 will shed half a pound. Stuff like that rocks

Pedal Over It
    You could probably lose some weight by putting a lefty on.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” - Plato

mtbr member
    I want to know the difference in weight between the aluminum flash frames vs. the SL frames. I have a 2010 F5 (pretty much the same as 2011 SL3) in the 26 inch and am eying the 29ers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is there something natively heavy about these SL 2s? I would think the most important component is the frame followed by the forks then the wheels, basically how expensive and difficult they are to replace with lighter ones. Hows this 29er compare to other ones in it's range?

Sorry hal0 I hope we haven't thread jacked, we'll get to the btotom of this!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It really the sum of its parts. The frame is STOUT. I dont think I could break it unless I was freeriding it daily. So its not going to be billed as a weight weenies first choice to build off of. Im OK with that. Im not racing professionally so I dont care. Then it trickles down to all the other things like you mentioned. Getting a set of Stans Crest at 1575g looses almost 2lbs right there! carbon seatpost and bar prob another pound. It keeps going and going.

As far as the difference between the flash and sl2, I dont know.
    Last edited by hal0tw0; 09-29-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Pretty sure my SL4 had the same bars / stem / post as the SL2

If so, the stock bars are 305g,
    stem is 180g,
    seat clamp is 48g
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ratch, I dig your build up. What was your favorite mod if you could name one. Im eventually going 1x9 and Id like a set of Crests to boot. I havent had many complaints with my air Deuce but a Reba would be good to lighten up the front end Im sure.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by hal0tw0 View Post
    Ratch, I dig your build up. What was your favorite mod if you could name one. Im eventually going 1x9 and Id like a set of Crests to boot. I havent had many complaints with my air Deuce but a Reba would be good to lighten up the front end Im sure.
    I'd say swapping out the RST for the Recon was the best upgrade so far. I've done a few more mods since my last set of pictures, I'll have to update my post soon.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a 2011 trail sl 4, I weighed it on the bathroom scale. Came in at 30lbs. Size Medium
    Upgrades:
    Avid elixr r brakes
    Shimano lx shifters
    shimano deore derailuer
    lx chain

mtbr member
    My ex 2011 Trail SL2 L size weighted 30,20lbs stock....after many updates he came at 26,01...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What did you do to drop the 4 pds and what was the cost
    ? I have the same Sl2 in large

mtbr member
    You can see a picture here: Post a pic of your Cannondale 29er

I changed wheels, tires, crankset, cassette, chain, derailleurs, shifters, saddle, seatpost, seatclamp, handlebar, grips, rotors, quick release and i think that's all....

The cost, i don't really know....most of the parts are now on my Niner Air9.