Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I Love my Rize

My Rize seatstay and main pivot bearings

Well I finally pulled apart my rize rear suspension and my main bearings are toast and my seatstay bearings at the lower shock link are toast. I kinda knew they were gonna need replacing but it was easy as pie stripping it down bare. The bearings Cannondale uses are not that good for the application. They are caged sealed bearings made for more rotation. Suspension bearings need more balls and better seals for less rotation. Needless to say I found the perfect replacement bearings at Enduro fork seals. They are the Max bearings for suspension pivots. They are cageless and carry alot more balls and have way better seals and higher grade balls and races. I do believe they will solve the premature bearing life on our Rize's. The seatstays bearings are 6800 2RS MAX you need 6 for the whole seatstay system (I'm replacing them all since they are better and I have it all apart but only 2 bearings were bad). The main pivot bearings are 6902 2RS MAX. Hope this helps all of us Rize owners. I LOVE my Rize and try to upgrade everything that needs replacing with something tougher and more durable. By the way you must use Loctite 638 on all the 6800 2RS MAX bearings.

ENDURO MAX BEARING SPECIFICATIONS

ENDURO MAX BEARINGS: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION PIVOT BEARINGS!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by danoalb; 11-29-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: More info (links)
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    which set did you buy? i didnt see the rize on the web site

I Love my Rize

I said which ones in my post

Open the second link for the bearings and scroll down until you get to 6800 2RS MAX.... you need 6 of them then keep scrolling to 6902 2RS MAX you need 2 of these (main pivot) done deal.
    Last edited by danoalb; 11-23-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Helmetless Crasher
    Nice. Good lookin' out!

Thank you.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I fitted these exact bearings to my old Rize back in 2010. I can confirm they last a lot longer then the bearings Cdale used. In fact once i fitted them i never had to change them again.

I in fact had more issues with the Fox shock mounts then any of the bearings though, thats where any play in my rig came from. So I upgraded my shock mounts to heavy duty ones with polymer eyelet bushings. This made a huge difference in how tight the bike felt, and it never developed play or any slack again.

Mount Kits, 12.7mm - for Fox, 5th ... - TF Tuned Shox

At the same time also replaced the shock bolts with items used on the Orange Pro 5. They were not only a better fit, but also stiffer, and once again I never had any slackness or play issues once i switched to them.

Scroll down to "Shock Mount Bolts" ;

Orange Mountain Bikes - Components and Spares

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb View Post
    Open the second link for the bearings and scroll down until you get to 6802 2RS MAX.... you need 6 of them then keep scrolling to 6902 2RS MAX you need 2 of these (main pivot) done deal.
    As I remember when I did this bearing swap out, the main pivots are press fit bearings IIRC. So, you'll need a bearing press or have an LBS do it.

Getting my smaller 6802 bearings out was kind of a pain even with heating them per the instructions.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

I Love my Rize

kewl

I'm using these for my shock bushings.......... SHOCK CHART

By the way what size shock bolts did you use for your Rize. 29mm 31mm or 33mm.... I'm assuming the diameter is the same

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

I Love my Rize

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Correction

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    As I remember when I did this bearing swap out, the main pivots are press fit bearings IIRC. So, you'll need a bearing press or have an LBS do it.

Getting my smaller 6802 bearings out was kind of a pain even with heating them per the instructions.
    The smaller bearings are 6800 2RS MAX NOT 6802 2RS MAX as I stated earlier My earlier posts have been corrected. I hope nobody bought the wrong smaller bearings due to my error

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    May 2007

damn

Quote Originally Posted by danoalb View Post
    The smaller bearings are 6800 2RS MAX NOT 6802 2RS MAX as I stated earlier My earlier posts have been corrected. I hope nobody bought the wrong smaller bearings due to my error
    I ordered the wrong ones...damn...6 of em....So they are useless?

I Love my Rize

Call Enduro asap

If they didn't ship I'm sure Chris will swap them out. If you got them I'm sure he will make things right. He's a good guy and frequents these boards usually in the suspension and shocks topics. His handle is Chris2fur. sorry

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Just ordered 6 of the small ones.
    I wonder if we could find a replacement for the shocklink pivot bolts, that attach seatstays to shock link. Those two little bolts are the weakest part of the RZ suspension and only come as part of the KP072 kit, that you can purchase online for $40, or through cannondale dealer special order(part# 121832)
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just ordered up a set of 6 6800 and 2 6902's along with a couple needle bearing shock mount kits. I am sadly getting a lot of creaking and it is pretty obviously coming from the torque of the drive side creating play in the seat stay bearings.

I also ordered the shock eyelet tools, one for the DU and one for the needle bearings. I'll be picking up some LockTite 638 shortly I suspect and redoing the bearings on the seat stays and shock link.

I Love my Rize

Your gonna love them

DR My Rize creaked so bad before I fixed it and my back wheel moved from side to side it wasn't funny I thought my rear hub bearings were shot I hated on my Rize at that point as it felt like a piece of junk I didn't even want to ride it anymore......they weren't After I did the fix the whole bike is tight as a drum and dead silent I also did the RWC needle bearing kit and all I can say is WOW. I went one better and installed the PUSHED Monarch RT/AM. and wrote a post about It called SUPER RIZE and it is believe me. My rear end is in a class by itself. It's so plush and pedals so well even without the platform. I rarely used my platform on the fox anyway. The RT/AM is off the charts on the way it keeps your tire glued to the ground. You will find that you will have to use more air pressure than you usually do and a slower rebound with the needle bearing kits as the pivots and shock eyes rotate so free........totally drag free. I told PUSH to not install the shock bearings they provide as I was going to use the needle bearing kit. I bought the installation tool and I HIGHLY recommend it as it installs the bearings PERFECT in literally seconds with no chance of damaging them. DR you will be blown away with the needle bearing kits believe me but since you went that far I would not even hesitate to get the PUSH Monarch as that is the last step for perfection..........GAME, MATCH AND SET OVER I really want to hear what you think about your new set up when it's done. GET THE MONARCH RT/AM

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member

Rize Carbon 2 Upgrade

I know there are a lot of upgrades that can be done, but what would everyone suggest I upgrade from my stock 2009 Rize Carbon 2? After a couple of years with the bike it is time to make some improvements. I like the idea of updating the rear shock, but don't know if that is my top priority.

Any suggestions for tires (Dry loose to hardpack riding)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This is good info because my Rize is beginning to feel a little loose and i suspect it is the bearings

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by moabcrazy View Post
    I know there are a lot of upgrades that can be done, but what would everyone suggest I upgrade from my stock 2009 Rize Carbon 2? After a couple of years with the bike it is time to make some improvements. I like the idea of updating the rear shock, but don't know if that is my top priority.

I am thinking of upgrading my rear shock as soon as i fix my bearings. I think this will make the most difference in my ride. Also upgrading the wheelset paid off for me.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by moabcrazy View Post

Wheelset/tires make a pretty dramatic improvement. I went to Mavic SLR's and tubeless Rocket Rons (from the OE Mavic 317's and tubed Kenda ExCavators) and lost about 2 lbs of rotational weight and a bunch of rolling reistance. When riding, the bike feels 5+ lbs lighter, and accelerates and changes direction with very little effort.

For your conditions, you may wanna try the schwalbe Racing Ralph . . .

My next mod is to get the Fox RP2 PUSH'ed. I weigh 220 and want a tad more platform and big hit control without losing any plushness. I'll let you know how it goes in a few weks . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Thanks Stumpjumpy. I will look at those tires/wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Wheelset/tires make a pretty dramatic improvement. I went to Mavic SLR's and tubeless Rocket Rons (from the OE Mavic 317's and tubed Kenda ExCavators) and lost about 2 lbs of rotational weight and a bunch of rolling reistance. When riding, the bike feels 5+ lbs lighter, and accelerates and changes direction with very little effort.

For your conditions, you may wanna try the schwalbe Racing Ralph . . .

My next mod is to get the Fox RP2 PUSH'ed. I weigh 220 and want a tad more platform and big hit control without losing any plushness. I'll let you know how it goes in a few weks . . .
    I put a set of Crossmax Slr's on my Rize that I had on my hard tail, and I have had to replace 5 spokes on my rear wheel. I tend to ride my Rize a little harder then my hard tail and that is probably the cause so I switched back to the rims that came with the Rize.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley02 View Post
    I put a set of Crossmax Slr's on my Rize that I had on my hard tail, and I have had to replace 5 spokes on my rear wheel. I tend to ride my Rize a little harder then my hard tail and that is probably the cause so I switched back to the rims that came with the Rize.
    Wow. No issues like that for me, so far (knock on wood). I'm a Clyde, but pretty light on the equipment, I guess.

What exactly happened to the spokes? No rim damage? I'd think your HT would have been harder on the wheels than your Rize.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No rim damaged,just needed to be trued, 1 spoke actual snapped in half and the other ones just bent. It's happened on 3 different occasions, 1 one time (this one snapped) , 2 another (bent), and 2 another time (bent). My riding style changes based on what bike I ride, and when on the FS Rize I tend to be a little more aggressive but it's not like I'm hitting big drops. That's the only thing I can think that would be causing this since the rims are so light and not heavy duty. I'm only 155lbs so I know it should be a weight issue.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley02 View Post
    I'm only 155lbs so I know it should be a weight issue.
    Wow, I have 65 lbs on you. You must ride like a wild beast, and me like a timid wuss! I will work on that.

Seriously, perhaps your SLR's were not assembled properly (spoke tension off) or the spokes were defective?

They are light XC race wheels, but they should not come apart like that with a 155 lb rider. Unlike many wheels in their category, they have no weight limit and are known to hold up to abuse fairly well. There is a pic of a chap racing/finishing on a bare SLR rim on the net somewhere. LOL. Very good strength/weight compromise.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I also ordered the shock eyelet tools, one for the DU and one for the needle bearings.
    Do you already have the main bearing press to use for the tools? I am asking because the one they are selling is over $200

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover View Post
    Do you already have the main bearing press to use for the tools? I am asking because the one they are selling is over $200
    Nope. I decided that I wouldn't do enough press-fit bearings to warrant the tool in my lifetime! I may borrow the tool but I'll probably just take it to my LBS to do the pivot bearings after I replace the seat stay and shock link bearings. I want to see how much the noise and movement are reduced before doing so.

It's time for a Lefty service as well, so I can get all that done at the same time.

I Love my Rize

You don't need a press

The main bearings are way easy. Just put your swingarm in a vise and eye the bearing straight and turn the crank on the vise Mine went in perfectly straight with the vise. When it was flush I put the socket on the bearing to finish it off. It was all the way in the bore so it could not misalign. They will squeeze in really easy with no resistance if it's right. I was pleasantly surprised on how well well it worked. If your use the socket from the beginning it could go in crooked . Just the vise at first until bottomed then use the socket.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast