mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My Prophet X...Near Complete!!!

For those of you who have seen my prospective build for a 2008 Cannondale Prophet X, my dream has today become a reality! Due to a Christmas day injury, I have not been able to ride, so I figured I would devote some extra attention to masterfully assembling my new bike. Within the past week, I have invested 50+ hours into this build, between stripping, sanding, painting, polishing and finally assembling...it is a true representation of what time, patients and attention to detail can bring. What a bike...and I haven't even ridden it yet.

Here is a link to my new Prophet X's web gallery; it will be periodically updated with pictures of it's progress... http://picasaweb.google.com/mylesofs...ey=xX4DFTASw5c

I discovered today that my borrowed 20mm front wheel is actually proprietary to the X-Fusion fork it came from, thus I must wait until I can locate another loaner wheel or patiently wait for my Industry Nine Enduro's! Also, I have to re-bleed the rear brake as I failed to properly do it today. Let me know what you think.

shut up and RIDE!
    Looks great! Please post some pictures of your I9 Enduro's, I'm considering them from my Prophet. Great looking bike!
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by capefeartrailrider
    Please post some pictures of your I9 Enduro's, I'm considering them from my Prophet.
    I will as soon as I get them; I think I have another 2-3 weeks of waiting. Do you have a Prophet or Prophet X/MX? I'd say that if you had a 140mm Prophet, get the All-Mountain wheels; only if you have 160mm and do much more aggressive riding would I endorse the Enduro wheelset. The standard Prophet is really a versatile cross-country rig; the Enduro wheels would just weigh you down. Save some unnecessary weight and get the All-Mountain's unless you are doing some big drops.

shut up and RIDE!
    Thanks for the info. I have a Prophet 3, not the X/MX. I do hit some nice size drops, but nothing that my crossmax rims cant take so far.
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The rear swingarms looks like hell in the raw finish. Makes the bike look like a car that was in an accident and the owner tried to fix it themselves.

What's with the rear brake caliper?

Ridin' dirty!
    If you'd polish it it'll be a whole different story though!
    Get some medium/fine and some fine/extra fine steel wool and polish the swingarm with it.
    Key is to have even strokes in one direction.
    Go from coarse to fine.
    Next step would be some "Mothers" metal polishing paste or even "Brasso" and a whole lotta elbow grease
    Once done it'll be shiny like chrome!
    Did this with several Fatty forks and even pistols and it looks like a factory job....
    Takes quite a bit of time though....
    Is the frame anodized or painted?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

got the dhr...
    ya-whats up with that rear caliper. are you tryin to fit a huge rotor in or something? also, what fork is that on your bike? and, just so you know, the prophet x and the prophet both have 5.5 inches of rear wheel suspension. the prophet x ussaully has a 6.5 inch fork on it though. you probably know that allready though unlike what some people say, i like the way the swingarm looks it works well with the red. ohh, and sweet red spacers...

Like catnip for people
    can't help but cry when i look at it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The frame is painted a metallic burnt orange and the swing arm is polished; all by myself. I have since used some more steel wool and a polish called "semichrome" which has now made my swing arm consistant and polished like chrome...it looks amazing. Regarding the rear brake, I had to re-bleed it thus I didn't want to put it all the way back on however, I didn't want to loose the hardware, so I bolted it that way for the time being; it is since corrected. My fork is a 2008 FOX Talas RC2 with a 1.5" steerer tube.

Ridin' dirty!
    Glad that it worked out.
    I really like the color.
    But why did you go for a polished swing arm instead of a white one?
    I'm just curious, because everything else is white......
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Glad that it worked out.
    I really like the color.
    But why did you go for a polished swing arm instead of a white one?
    I'm just curious, because everything else is white......
    Thanks; I like it too! I went for the polished swing arm as I simply liked the idea...I wanted a real handmade in USA look to this bike. When you look at more boutique USA made frames, many have loud color frames with polished swing arms and linkage...I wanted a similar effect; the white on the saddle, grips and fork seemed to compliment the already desired orange/polished pattern. Maybe some day Cannondale will catch-up and produce some better painted frames. Every other US bike manufacturer has elaborate paint departments where a rider's imagination can go wild. Instead, with Cannondale, one gets the quality USA made frame with a mundane and just average paint scheme. I wanted the look of USA boutique manufacturers but the consistency and performance of Cannondale.