Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

My Prophet climbs like crap--or is it my noobness?

Hey guys, so I finally got my 07 prophet 4 in perfectly working condition and got the black spring for my weight (nearly 180). Even though upgrading the spring from the green was a huge improvement, I still find it massively harder to ride this bike, especially uphill as compared to my crappy older Raleigh hybrid AND my specialized p.3 . I understand that this has much more travel and thicker, knobbier tires (although not thicker than the specialized). But I would think that it wouldn't be this much harder to ride. It sucks cuz when I ride with one of my friends, 99% of the ride is on paved or xc terrain and I run out of breath up the steeper hills lol. I thought upgrading to the black spring would eliminate it but it just improved it. Also, my rear shock bottoms out on many jumps--is this particularly bad? Should I pump some more air in there or is it OK to bottom out from time to time?

Thanks guys!

PS anyone know any good trails in the NE Philadelphia area? Preferably nothing TOO hardcore and wider trails so I don't get smacked in the face by weeds and poison ivy on my legs? haha

mtbr member
    I doubt its the fork thats causing you trouble. You should look into a rear shock that has adjustable platform and possibly bottom out resistance if your shock is truly bottoming out. Also check you're seat height to make sure you're getting full leg extension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    I doubt its the fork thats causing you trouble. You should look into a rear shock that has adjustable platform and possibly bottom out resistance if your shock is truly bottoming out. Also check you're seat height to make sure you're getting full leg extension.

hmm...I end up climbing out of my seat. It's just weird cuz on bikes that are 1/5th the price, it's easier to climb

Ridin' dirty!
    Adjust the rear shock with the recommended sag...put the swingarm into the XC position, Don't run the fork too firm...adjust the sag properly.
    And.....work on your climbing technique
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    believe it or not tires can make a tremendous difference. But you shouldn't be standing while climbing on a FS bike. It is one of the trade-offs that make them so much faster downhill, the rear suspension makes them climb less efficiently. This can be compensated for by rear shocks that you can turn the platform on or off, but cannot be eliminated.

LA CHÈVRE
    Depends of the surface, in technical, loose rocks and such, the suspension adds traction and helps climbing. I think the Prophet is a great climber for it's weight and size. It's all in the setup but even more in your technique and physical shape... And a FS bike is very different compared to you other bikes, time will also help you adapt to the bike and it's different way to ride it.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    tire and tire pressure can do alot

mtbr member
    I have the same bike as yours and switching out the Fox Float R for a Fox Float RP23 makes a big difference. Before, going uphill on rocky trials with the Float R, the rear would always compress causing my weight to shift and spin out; with the RP23 Pro-pedal set to max, my bike climbs like a champ. The only time I take it out of Pro-pedal mode is when I don't what to fill the ground to much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

Music & Bikes
    Hard tail or better ; rigid.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    On my Prophet, I've found that staying on the saddle, sliding up towards the nose, makes climbing easier.

As for NE Philly trails, Neshaminy HS, Pennypacker or the Wiss. Try this http://www.phillymtb.com

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Tires make a huge difference.

I thought my Prophet sucked until I switched to Specialized Fast Tracks. Now it climbs as well as it goes downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It must be the air pressure... My Float R is set to the right pressure and it climbs really well. It doesn't compress all that much when even cranking out of the saddle.

Mind you, small to medium bump compliance is also non-existant.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My Prophet climbs like a dream. When I made the switch from my HT to FS I wasnt so sure but making some position adjustments helped alot as well as switching to Nevegals. As someone else mentioned make sure you are in XC mode. I tried it in the DH mode once and couldnt climb worth a damn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hmm..I'm in FR mode right now. But mainly because I'm 5'5.5 and it lowers it a bit for me. I wonder if I should switch it back regardless...I like to take random jumps and bumps on it so I figured FR mode would be perfect. But I'm new at these fancy bikes so I'm not sure hehe --thanks for all the advice so far!

mtbr member
    In FR mode the BB is a bit lower and front end wanders and lightens up a lot more uphills than in XC mode. That being said, it still climbs pretty damn good. I only use XC mode when I'm in tight, techy singletrack. It steers better at slow speed and the higher BB helps with rocks, logs, and obstacles.

I rarely climb out of the saddle but when I do, it doesn't bob that bad and I get decent traction. Maybe more rear shock pressure? I have a Float R BTW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    In FR mode the BB is a bit lower and front end wanders and lightens up a lot more uphills than in XC mode. That being said, it still climbs pretty damn good. I only use XC mode when I'm in tight, techy singletrack. It steers better at slow speed and the higher BB helps with rocks, logs, and obstacles.

I rarely climb out of the saddle but when I do, it doesn't bob that bad and I get decent traction. Maybe more rear shock pressure? I have a Float R BTW.

I think I will pick up a shock pump and try to add air first. Then maybe I'll check out the XC mode. Besides a higher BB, what's the advantage of being in XC mode?

mtbr member
    XC mode has a steeper headtube angle so the steering is quicker and more precise. FR mode is more stable at speed, but I feel it tends to flop over when steering at low speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    XC mode has a steeper headtube angle so the steering is quicker and more precise. FR mode is more stable at speed, but I feel it tends to flop over when steering at low speed

man I wish I had some mtb enthusiasts as friends in my area hehe. I'm the only one nuts enough to buy a bike over a grand lol. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If there is a LBS around see if they will do a suspension tuning session with you. I did a session about 2 weeks ago and it transformed my bike. Turns out I was using too high of a pressure in the rear and not enough in the front.

It also sharpened up the steering by having the sag at the correct level changed the head angle.

After the adjustments I pulled my fastest lap ever at the local bike trail and it climbs far better than before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisR32
    If there is a LBS around see if they will do a suspension tuning session with you. I did a session about 2 weeks ago and it transformed my bike. Turns out I was using too high of a pressure in the rear and not enough in the front.

It also sharpened up the steering by having the sag at the correct level changed the head angle.

After the adjustments I pulled my fastest lap ever at the local bike trail and it climbs far better than before.

it's tough to find a trustworthy LBS here :-/

I've haven't found any that seem too attentive their customers lol

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    I think I will pick up a shock pump and try to add air first.
    What is the current pressure? Has anyone ever added air? It is quite possible that the shock is completely flat.... That would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    What is the current pressure? Has anyone ever added air? It is quite possible that the shock is completely flat.... That would explain a lot.

Supposedly when getting it ready for me, the LBS put enough air for my weight (approx) of 175lbs. Maybe I'll go by a shop and get a pump. What should the pressure be around? I don't want to overpump it or run it completely flat--i've never put air into a shock before.

mtbr member
    What shock are you running?

mtbr member
    If it's bobbing excessively on climbs and you don't want to replace the shock, you could send it to Push Industries? My Jekyll is a much more solid climber after sending the Float R to Push.

I keep mine in the XC setting to keep the front end from wandering on climbs - not sure if you've having the same problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast