Upgrade your life

My new build ( F400 CAD2 )

Finally i am riding her! Still need to upgrade to disc, but the back brake is working well for now.

FSA XC-281 Handlebars
    XT Front derailer
    XT Rear derailerXT Shifters
    XT Brake Levers
    XT Rear Brake
    LX Crankset
    EA-30 seat post
    EA-30 stem
    Serfas genitalia goodness saddle
    FOX Vanilla 32 RLC
    Flight Deck ( not installed yet)

UPDATE 08-30-2008

WTB Dual Duty XC Wheels
    BB7 Disc Brake

Last edited by JayDial; 08-03-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Upgrade your life
    Any positive or negative feedback on the build? I often wonder if i would of been better of buying a new bike. Considering i have 1200 into this bike.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Nice bumblebee. What headset are you using on that?

...and why no front brake?

mtbr member
    I still like the older frames but for a CAAD 2 I think I would have gone V brakes up front as well untill such a time as you could upgrade to more current disc frame. The bike looks great though, real clean condition. If you have the dough, I would change the fork out and save it for your next build.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

Upgrade your life
    Woodman Axis Headset

I have no front brake, because i do not have disc compatible wheels. That will be my next upgrade. I just cant afford it right now.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    How important are matching wheels to you? When I needed a disc-compatible wheel for my commuter, I grabbed one local for like ten bucks. Decent wheel.

edit: btw, how'd you manage to run a standard size headset in that? Did you use reducer cups?

Upgrade your life
    Quote Originally Posted by baalan
    I still like the older frames but for a CAAD 2 I think I would have gone V brakes up front as well untill such a time as you could upgrade to more current disc frame. The bike looks great though, real clean condition. If you have the dough, I would change the fork out and save it for your next build.

Fortunately, its easy to upgrade to disc in the front ( just need another paycheck). For the rear I am just going to buy a A2Z adapter.

Upgrade your life
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    How important are matching wheels to you? When I needed a disc-compatible wheel for my commuter, I grabbed one local for like ten bucks. Decent wheel.

edit: btw, how'd you manage to run a standard size headset in that? Did you use reducer cups?

I went with a wooman axis reducing headset. The wheels do not have to match. Ive been keeping my eye on craigslist, but next friday im just going to buy a new set, and put these on a raleigh M80 i have torn apart.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDial
    I went with a wooman axis reducing headset. The wheels do not have to match. Ive been keeping my eye on craigslist, but next friday im just going to buy a new set, and put these on a raleigh M80 i have torn apart.
    I figured you got the reducing one, but you linked to the standard one which is why I asked. Hey, since I'm doing something fairly similar at the moment I have a question for you... did you pull the black cups from the headshok assembly prior to installing the reducing headset? Here's a picture of what I mean.

For wheels, try your local mtb association. It's where I got most of my parts (and for darn cheap, too). People from those can hook you up with most anything. Just ask, you could get something for free.

Upgrade your life
    I bought my frame used, and it didnt have the headshok headset cups. They would of been removed to install the woodman though. It comes with its own headset cups, which are to be pressed in.

Upgrade your life
    Whoops.. Correct link
    EDIT WTH. It seems to default to the standard one. Just look through the woodman headsets, and you'll see the one for headshock head tubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Fortunately, its easy to upgrade to disc in the front ( just need another paycheck). For the rear I am just going to buy a A2Z adapter.
    Forget the A2Z it won't work

I have a Killer V I'm rebuilding at the moment with pretty much the same drop outs and the A2Z adapter doesnt fit. I can attach a photo tomorrow to show you what I mean.

I'm waiting on a Brake Therapy adapter, which is unfortunately the more expensive option, but it's supposed to work fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KillerV800; 07-26-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    From the images I attach on my previous post, you can see that the A2Z adapter just won't sit flat against the drop outs on the Cannondale frame. That frame is a Killer V800 from 1998, but I think the rear end is the same as your F400.

Like I said I'm waiting on the Brake Therapy disk brake adapter, which should fit fine. I'll let you know when it arrives, hopefully next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerV800
    From the images I attach on my previous post, you can see that the A2Z adapter just won't sit flat against the drop outs on the Cannondale frame. That frame is a Killer V800 from 1998, but I think the rear end is the same as your F400.

Like I said I'm waiting on the Brake Therapy disk brake adapter, which should fit fine. I'll let you know when it arrives, hopefully next week.
    Just a suggestion maybe you should try to mount the A2Z adapter on the left side of the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Just a suggestion maybe you should try to mount the A2Z adapter on the left side of the bike...
    It was... If you look closer at the drop outs, the frame is upside down. It was the only way I could get the adapter to sit (since if doesnt fit) and take the photo.

Now with rotated photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerV800
    It was... If you look closer at the drop outs, the frame is upside down.
    Ahh ok I gotcha didnt realize that. Good luck with the one from brake therapy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep here's hoping on the Brake Therapy solution...

Upgrade your life
    Well thats unfortunate. I think my best immediate solution is to use a v-brake in the rear and disc in the front. Is it a better idea to just get a bracket welded on?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Well thats unfortunate. I think my best immediate solution is to use a v-brake in the rear and disc in the front. Is it a better idea to just get a bracket welded on?
    I don't see anything wrong with a V in the rear and a disc in the front. I do that on one of my bikes and it hasn't been a problem. I guess I just don't do the kinds of descents where I need that much more power in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is it a better idea to just get a bracket welded on?
    Definately don't go the welded route. I think all Cannondale aluminium frames are heat treated, so any additional welding will drastically weaken the frame, unless you get it heat treated again and that isn't a cheap option.

mtbr member
    With V's and disc combo, to me it just looks unbalanced.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

Avenger of Evil
    V-brake in the rear and Disc up front will be fine. I say Go for it!!!.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

Upgrade your life
    Thank you everyone for the input!