I like to ride my bike.

My Lefty's Rebound Knob is Driving Me Insane!!!

The head on my '06 DLR2 stripped a while ago. I Had REI drill it out. I got a replacement from Cannondale....a few months later....

It is now time to reset the bearings. The head had once again stripped. I search all over MA to find the only bike shop with a spare rebound knob as it will take cannondale 2 months to get more. I find one. They install it. I get home and can't get it off. REI can't get it off. The shops are now telling me to get another rebound knob and have it drilled out once agin.

[SIZE="4"]WTF[/SIZE]

?

I have the Mt.Snow National race in about 2 weeks that I'm qualified for.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    The head on my '06 DLR2 stripped a while ago. I Had REI drill it out. I got a replacement from Cannondale....a few months later....

It is now time to reset the bearings. The head had once again stripped. I search all over MA to find the only bike shop with a spare rebound knob as it will take cannondale 2 months to get more. I find one. They install it. I get home and can't get it off. REI can't get it off. The shops are now telling me to get another rebound knob and have it drilled out once agin.

[SIZE="4"]WTF[/SIZE]

?

I have the Mt.Snow National race in about 2 weeks that I'm qualified for.

Sounds like some irrational exhuberance, taken out on a poor little allen head set screw. Tighten it a bit less, if you can get one to DIY, you'll be happier. Note, use a nice fresh wrench, a worn one will make it feel stripped faster.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Sounds like some irrational exhuberance, taken out on a poor little allen head set screw. Tighten it a bit less, if you can get one to DIY, you'll be happier. Note, use a nice fresh wrench, a worn one will make it feel stripped faster.....
    Okay. After you take the knob off, there are "split rings" and a nut around a prong.(?)
    Cannondale says not to loosen or tighten the nut (#10)...I think I may have done this during the first time I reset the bearings. I also may have turned the prong(?...not sure what to call it) a bit for whatever reason. Would this have anything to do with my problem?

Well, I'll get another wrench and take it to a hardware store to see if they can get it out without damaging anything....which apparently they can do. When I talked to the emplyee at the bike shop, he said they can use a reverse (???) method to srew it out that should not damage the rebound knob or the screw. He also said the screw should be a 440...?

I'm sorry Mendon to have you try to make sense of all this...I'm a mess right now and hopefully this can all be taken care of SOON and no more money will be wasted.
    -Thanks
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog