Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My Lefty snapped in 2 while riding ..

.. and made me go over the bar and land flat on my face. Fortunately no serious harm was done, exept for some scratches to my cheeck and eye.

The Lefty however is another story. After my fall I noticed that the lower leg was completely disassembled from the upper leg! The 4 guiding races were spilled all over de ground and the lower leg including wheel was dangling on the frame only held on by the brake hose of the front brake. The parts were not broken, it looked like the lower leg just 'fell out' of the upper leg.

I don't know how this could have happened. I was riding normally on a smooth flat forrest trail and jumped over a small tree stick, about 6 cm diameter so nothing special. I ride a Prophet SL with a Lefty DLR2 so this should be nothing special for this bike. I'm a light rider a normally am not abusive of my material. I count myself to be a skilled rider so I dont think my riding has caused this faillure. It also strikes me as strange that the Lefty shows no signs of further damage, what could have been the result of improper landing.

After the fall I was able to provisioally stick the parts back together, however, the Lefty did not function at all anymore and I was not able to complete my ride. Fortunately my GF accompanied me and she was able to get our car and drive us home.

I really would like to know what could have caused this faillure. Is this a problem that is known of Leftys? Anybody have that has had a simmilar problem?

I'm a bit hesitant now to put the Lefty (when repaired) back on my bike, should I be?

Thanks for any info,

J

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Glad you're okay......

that could have been a life changing fall. I've always believed that two legs are better than one.....which is why I refuse to buy into the C'Dale's Lefty propaganda. If you can get it fixed for free then do so but sell it. If they make you pay for the repairs then just call it experience then try to sell the parts.

mtbr member
    didn't really SNAP in two...sounds like it disassembled itself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It might have been one of the DLR2's that were subjected to the recall. The recall was a minor issue with a lack of loc-tite on the threads that joined the Lefty together. If you are now scared of the Lefty like mtnbiker4life apparently is just get another type of fork. Nobody is making you ride a Lefty if you don't like them.

LA CHÈVRE
    Sounds exactly like a recalled Lefty that hasn't been taken in to be fixed. Glad you're okay....

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sucks! Glade you're OK. Once the fork gets fixed, wanna swap the lefty for my super T marzoochi?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fork was recently serviced

I now read about the recall from Cannondale, seems that this issues applies to my Lefty. Strange thing is that I have send the fork for service (leaking oil) to Cannondale in may 2007. The lower leg was renewed and some internals as well. My thoughts are that they should have taken care of the recall issues then. Also strange is that I have a 2006 model, where the recall only seems to apply to 2007 models.

Maybe 'snapped' is not the right word, disassembled is a better description. The upper leg still contained al the internals, execpt for the 4 sliding races and a small aluminium tube in about 8 cm lenght and 1 cm diameter. The complete lower leg had come out.

I'll take it to my LBS tomorow and see what they have to say, maybe phone Cannondale as well. I want to be absolutely sure that this will nog happen again, my GF has a Carbon Rush with a Lefty, and I do not want to see her get hurt. Now the accident happened on a smoot forrest trail and all I have is a black-eye, if it had been a rocky decent things might have been very different! I have had her fork serviced for the recall issue as well, but as with my own fork, that might not give any guarantee.

J
    Last edited by Jowan; 10-07-2007 at 12:57 AM.

mad aussie
    I wonder if they actually put a new Cartridge into your fork in 07 that actually lacked the loctite? I got the inside story on this one that the company that made the cartridges for Cannondale would send them out to have a thread locker applied which was then baked on. Someone in the company making the cartridges decided to skip the loctite process to save a couple of bucks and the rest is history.
    I would suggest that your GF not ride her fork until you can have the cartridge removed and have loctite applied to the cartridge.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Post some pics if you can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Some pictures

I've just spoken to the Cannondale service center (europe). They were very helpfull and eager to find out what could have happened. As this is a 2006 fork this should not have happened as it's not a fork affected by the recall action.

I understand it's not possible for Cannondale say anything before they have had the change to check the fork, so I'll send the fork in to investigate.

Here are some pics:

-First the lower leg and parts that came apart from the upper leg, now neatly arranged but they were spilled all over after the accident.
    -Second the treath of the lower leg
    -Last the punctured fork booth.

I'll keep you informed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    that could have been a life changing fall. I've always believed that two legs are better than one.....which is why I refuse to buy into the C'Dale's Lefty propaganda. If you can get it fixed for free then do so but sell it. If they make you pay for the repairs then just call it experience then try to sell the parts.
    Yep, never ever in my whole life, have I ever seen those two little bolts that hold two legs together, strip, fall out, or break. Absolutely a fail safe system, just like the Titanic. Spread the hate elsewhere.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    I've just spoken to the Cannondale service center (europe). They were very helpfull and eager to find out what could have happened. As this is a 2006 fork this should not have happened as it's not a fork affected by the recall action.

I understand it's not possible for Cannondale say anything before they have had the change to check the fork, so I'll send the fork in to investigate.

Here are some pics:

-First the lower leg and parts that came apart from the upper leg, now neatly arranged but they were spilled all over after the accident.
    -Second the treath of the lower leg
    -Last the punctured fork booth.

I'll keep you informed.
    Is that rust or dirt in the threads?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I would definately make a ruckus, and have it fixed properly. Issue is now (amongst others) that the races have been mixed up, and the fork will have to be rebuilt by someone who understands how to get them back in correct order. Make some noise, not only should Cannondale pay for shipping in both directions, they should overnite it, and make fixing yours first, a number one priority. They had it in their hands, and still they screwed it up. Not saying mistakes can't happen, and things can't go wrong, but that's just a really bad screwup, that they need to rectify ASAP. Glad you're OK!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lefty is off to Cannondale now

Delivered the bike at my LBS today and the'll ship it to Cannondale for me. My LBS had never seen anything like this.

To me it seems that Cannondale takes this serious. The service rep I spoke to made sure that I would contact him personally if I would encounter any problems or had any questions. I'd rather have them investigate this issue properly and I will give them the time to do so. All I'm intererrested in for now is finding out what has happened. If they get to the bottom if this we might all benefit from Cannondale's findings.

Dan, it did not look like rust to me, more like dried out copper-grease. The rest of the lower leg looked fine to me, as for the rest of the internals.

Still, any clues are welcome!

Jowan

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    This could easily happen on a conventional fork if the bolts holding the cartridges both were loose or snapped. It just takes twice the bad luck.

I feel secure riding my Lefty.

mtbr member
    I believe in regular maint. and I'm also not into trusting anyone else to do it for me. When you had this thing serviced, did the shop do it or did they send it to Cannondale? Did you feel or hear any clunking in the rides leading up to this noightmare ride? I'm also glad to hear you are OK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Recall

There's a recall on those forks. Check into it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyh3
    There's a recall on those forks. Check into it.
    Looks like somebody didn't read the whole thread!!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

e

word

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lefty is back

The lefty came back from Cannondale service (Europe) about two weeks ago. I dit not get a chance to test it untill last weekend, hence my late post.

The Lefty seems to work perfect now, better then before, just more smooth. Or perhaps this only seems smooth as the past few weeks I've only been riding a Headshock DLR.

Anyhow, Cannondale service could not give any firm clue as to why the incident had happened or what could have coused it. Best estimate was that the races were to thin, they had them replaced with new, thicker races. As far as I can gather they have investigated thoroughly, even the salesrep I spoke on the Netherlands trade show knew about this incident.

As the fork seems to work OK, I'll give it another chance. I really like our Cannondales, would be a shame to trade Leftys to other forks. I'll let you know if I encounter any issues with the Lefty again.

Jowan
    Last edited by Jowan; 11-21-2007 at 11:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Question to Mendon and Jowan

I have a 03 DLR Ti , should I be worry about this ?

Also , Jowan , do you remember if there's any sign before it fails ? Did it shake like a shaking steering in your car , any sign at all ?

I hope you can shed some light on this...

Thanks in advance !

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Yep, it's an inherently sketchy design, no doubt about it.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Yep, it's an inherently sketchy design, no doubt about it.....

Thats a Righty, it's stonger because it as more letters in it's name.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    As far as I can gather they have investigated thourougly, even the salesrep I spoke on the Netherlands trade show knew about this incident.
    Jowan
    I heard about this at the shop I work at in Pittsburgh, PA USA. This was definetly looked into thoroughly by Cannondale, if we heard about it here in the US. Glad you didnt get hurt man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

No previous signs

To answer PhillyGTA's question, there were no previous clues to this faillure. Only thing was a small topping-out sound at the end of the rebound stroke, but that still there now after reassembly by Cannondale, so nothing strange. I had been on a 2hour trip without any issues when suddenly, upon bunny-hopping a small log, the lower leg fell out. Just a freak accident.

I'm glad to see my impression that Cannondale has investigated this faillure thoroughly affirmed in the above post. So I'll keep riding our Cannondales. I have never encountered any other serious problems with the Cannondales my GF and I share (two 6/13 roadies, Carbon Rush, Prophet SL and Taurine) and we just realy love our rides.

Jowan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast