mtbr member

My Lefty Max PBR seems to lose pressure?

Hi I have 2010 rz140 with Lefty Max PBR. Unfortunately it seems to have started losing pressure. Indeed to pump it up every 5 days or so recently. It has become very cold in The UK and I was wandering if that could be a factor? If not it is still under warranty so should I have it taken in or is there a quick fix?

mtbr member
    Check the air valve is tight and sealing off properly. Make sure you have a good valve cap, it can be a secondary seal.

replace the valve if it is leaking.

mtbr member
    I have checked the valve and I think it is ok (no air bubbles when I put soapy water over it). I should explain that it is losing pressure from 140psi to about 50 psi in circa 5 days! It never used to do this until the last few weeks.

mtbr member
    looks like you may need to take it in. No point messing with it if its still under warranty.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Annual service done on it? 2010 can mean almost more than 2 years ride time, so that's be my first stop after the valve core.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Although it is a 2010, I purchased it in May 2011 (new) so the warranty should still apply hopefully. I guess they would service it under warranty to get the the bottom of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    Although it is a 2010, I purchased it in May 2011 (new) so the warranty should still apply hopefully. I guess they would service it under warranty to get the the bottom of the problem?
    Yep, send it in. Too bad your LBS doesn't work on them, it's likely a simple issue.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    It is one of the biggest problems I have with owning a lefty! I am sure it is a simple thing to put right, but I am also pretty sure the shop will not touch it and simply send it back to Cannondale UK. This will ultimately mean that I will have the bike out of action for potentially weeks!
    With other forks I have owned problems have often been sorted whilst I wait in the shop (they simply do a quick strip/service and find/repair the problem). Only as a last resort do they send back to the dealer.

mtbr member
    Ok, my lefty seems to be having another problem. Basically it needed a bearing reset which I did, however, the fork still has a large clunk on top out. I am fairly sure the reset has been successful as the length is 730 which is the full length.
    Is there anything else that I need to do that is simple or should I add it to the list of things to look at under warranty?
    The thing is I don't want to send the fork back, be without it for weeks when there is a simple remedy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have the same fork, had the same problem.
    The LBS replaced EVERY seal etc inside the fork but it still leaked, sorry but you'll be without your bike for a while

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wattiez View Post
    I have the same fork, had the same problem.
    The LBS replaced EVERY seal etc inside the fork but it still leaked, sorry but you'll be without your bike for a while
    Thanks for the info. Time for deep breaths and patience I think. I love the lefty fork and the feel it gives. As long as it gets put right in a reasonable amount of time I am fine.

I am not sure who does the warranty work in The UK.

mtbr member
    The Lefty has just come back from a full overhaul. Wow, it feels super plush and the rebound damping is far better than it was when new. I cannot fault the service that has been provided under warranty.

I do have a question though. A lot more
    Pressure is needed on the fork than before (150 psi rather than 125). Is this usual after a service or does it just have to settle down?

Also, when I released the pressure in the fork a little oil
    came out of the valve. Is this usual and and if so why is it there?

A lot more
    Pressure is needed on the fork than before (150 psi rather than 125). Is this usual after a service or does it just have to settle down?

Shouldn't be different, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Oil is present, yes. It's lube for the air piston seals, no worries....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Lefty has just come back from a full overhaul. Wow, it feels super plush and the rebound damping is far better than it was when new. I cannot fault the service that has been provided under warranty.

do you mind sharind what was done to your lefty?

i had similar symptoms where it compresses after a short while. when i lift the front wheel to extend it it will maintain for a while and then compressed again after a short while.

but the differance in my case is that when i checked, the pressure is still there. it's just that the lefty compresses and bottoms out and will not extend unless i lift the front wheel to 'reset' it

sent it to have it fixed and had all the seals replaced, but the problem persist. i am begining to wonder if it is more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by botak View Post
    do you mind sharind what was done to your lefty?

i had similar symptoms where it compresses after a short while. when i lift the front wheel to extend it it will maintain for a while and then compressed again after a short while.

but the differance in my case is that when i checked, the pressure is still there. it's just that the lefty compresses and bottoms out and will not extend unless i lift the front wheel to 'reset' it

sent it to have it fixed and had all the seals replaced, but the problem persist. i am begining to wonder if it is more than that.
    Commonly it's a Solo Air piston issue. The wave washers can break, which causes the negative air chamber to overfill, causing it to suck down. Pulling up resets the air, and it returns to normal for a little while.

Usually the wave washers replaced, the problem goes away.

I had a recent case where the wave washers were fine, fork had just bee serviced. Air piston was the current generation too (often the older ones will do this even if the washer is in tact). Spoke with my tech guru at Cannondale, I guess sometimes the pistons themselves can be "bad".

Whomever did the service should check your wave washers, if they're fine, replace the piston....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Commonly it's a Solo Air piston issue. The wave washers can break, which causes the negative air chamber to overfill, causing it to suck down. Pulling up resets the air, and it returns to normal for a little while.

Usually the wave washers replaced, the problem goes away.

I had a recent case where the wave washers were fine, fork had just bee serviced. Air piston was the current generation too (often the older ones will do this even if the washer is in tact). Spoke with my tech guru at Cannondale, I guess sometimes the pistons themselves can be "bad".

Whomever did the service should check your wave washers, if they're fine, replace the piston....

thanks. this will really help.
    do you mind sharing which part is the wave washer? (i am not allowed to post link at the moment, but can you point to the specific part in the manunual. thanks so much for your help.
    sorry for being so specific.
    i am in malaysia and had extremely bad experience with my Lefty service.
    originally sent my lefty to the LBS. the told me they fixed it by chaning the seal. (that took more than a month!!). issue not fixed, worse is they didn't use the tool to remove the crown properly and caused a scratch.
    then had to send it to singapore for (i'm from malaysia btw), charged me equiv to ~200USD. Six months gone and issue got slightly better. but on my ride yesterday, it happened again.

couldn't find anyone other than the lbs to do the lefty service as it need special tool and trained tech.

now the thought of having to send it back to Singapore (and additional 6 months) is really putting me off...
    so i think if i can pinpoint the specific item to be fixed, probably it can speed up the service.

Quote Originally Posted by botak View Post
    do you mind sharing which part is the wave washer?
    Remove the damper. At the bottom end is the Solo Air piston. At it's bottom end is a 6mm allen fitting, and a snap ring. The washer is under that snap ring. Remove the ring, and replace the washer, (2 is recommended rather than one). It should be solid (no split in it) and shaped like a Pringles potato chip (kinda)...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Did you send through your local bike shop or direct to the warranty people, mine will be due a service in the summer and wondering who in the uk to use??