mtbr member

New question here. My Lefty Dilemma

I'm having seal issues with my 2006 Lefty that my LBS cannot resolve. The seals were replaced in March 2012 and August 2013. This last replacement came with a new issue of the lock out lever migrating to the lock out position while riding. I can even bounce the front tire off the ground and watch it move. The LBS is stumped on the leak and migration.

I ran into a rider that raved about another local LBS whose owner "really knows Leftys", much like the LBS I use now.

My dilemma is:
    1. Try the new LBS for another overhaul(fresh eyes)
    2. PBR retrofit
    3. Send to Cannondale
    4. Fork swap
    My current LBS suggests a fork swap to a Fox regular guy fork. I like the uniqueness of the Lefty, so I would rather not go this route, but I guess I should consider it if my fork is trashed.

If possible to answer, which suggestion would be the most cost-effective and lasting repair?

Thanks for reading. Advice much appreciated.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Personally, I wouldn't consider using a 'regular fork' over one of my Lefty's.. if anything it would be a downgrade IMO..

Keep the Lefty & upgrade the damper to PBR.. You'll have a much better damping system and lose some weight at the same time

Upgrading to a PBR damper will also be cheaper than buying a whole new fork of a similar quality..

Just make sure you send it to a competant mechanic who actually knows Leftys..

Mendon Cyclesmith would be first on my list...
    The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The lever moving is one of two things, there was a run of reverse wound negative springs, if that's the case swapping it out will fix it. Or, the lock knob nuts are not quite snugged enough. I'm guessing it's option B, since it wasn't ever an issue till now.

As for the rest of it? Fresh eyes are always good, particularly if they actually work on them regularly as opposed to pulling them off to send to Cannondale for service, and really only changing oil and doing bearing resets and selling that as "full service" in house.....

May well just be a worn out damper also, so a PBR upgrade wouldn't be a bad plan either.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com