mtbr member

My lefty ain't right (dlr speed alloy)

I just bought this fork and have been sizing it up to the 90mm reba it is going to replace. this fork shows that is 80mm travel but when I measure the axle to crown it's ove 30mm shorter! I've read about bearing migration so I follow the procedure fund in the manual for the 2009 Lefty Speed solo air (I think thats what it is) the fork measures 657mm extended where the manual said it should measure 695mm. I cycled the fork for a while but it remains the same. the fork goes through its travel smoothly, holds air, lockout and damping works fine. Another thing I noticed is that there are no bumpers to reduce travel as the manual indicated the 29er models must use. Any idea what's going on here? and how I can get this fork to have the proper A-C measurement? My lefty ain't right (dlr speed alloy)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349215342.508754.jpgMy lefty ain't right (dlr speed alloy)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349215358.746882.jpgMy lefty ain't right (dlr speed alloy)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349215370.994723.jpg

mtbr member
    maybe this? i guess ill take the damper out
    Quote Originally Posted by ssuats View Post
    Anders, thanks for your support. If I got it right the limiters need to be placed according to the red arrow:

Would it also be adviseable to reduce air volume with one of these air reduction spacers:

Cannondale Solo Air Lefty Tuning Volume Reducer Set - KH076/ - CannondaleExperts.com

Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The 695 number is with the fork pulled apart for bearing reset (top cap off, split rings removed etc), with the fork fully extended, so the top cap is well inside the fork leg.

Reassembled as pictured, it will be substantially shorter.

Proper A to C for that fork is 490mm. They had coil negative springs inthem which also had a significant effect on shortening the fork. Proper spring for weight makes a big difference. Stiff coil with a light rider, thus less air pressure? Way shorter....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The 695 number is with the fork pulled apart for bearing reset (top cap off, split rings removed etc), with the fork fully extended, so the top cap is well inside the fork leg.

Reassembled as pictured, it will be substantially shorter.

Proper A to C for that fork is 490mm. They had coil negative springs inthem which also had a significant effect on shortening the fork. Proper spring for weight makes a big difference. Stiff coil with a light rider, thus less air pressure? Way shorter....
    the picture with the tape (where i obtained the measurement) was with the top cap and split rings removed and fully extended. and after I cycled the fork a few times. the top cap never went inside the fork leg at full extension. is this not the proper way to measure?

mtbr member
    the a to c measurement I took on the lefty was 465 (unsprung with 100 psi)

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    the picture with the tape (where i obtained the measurement) was with the top cap and split rings removed and fully extended. and after I cycled the fork a few times. the top cap never went inside the fork leg at full extension. is this not the proper way to measure?
    Oops, thought I saw the top collar on.

You simply didn't reset it with enough vigor then. The top cap where the split rings sit, should end up being an inch+ down inside once fully reset.

Far easier to do on the bike, then in your hands. It does require some effort, it's not just cycling it in your hands....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oops, thought I saw the top collar on.

You simply didn't reset it with enough vigor then. The top cap where the split rings sit, should end up being an inch+ down inside once fully reset.

Far easier to do on the bike, then in your hands. It does require some effort, it's not just cycling it in your hands....
    Just the kind of info I was lookin for. thanks! I'll give it a shot tonight

mtbr member
    Bingo. Thanks. It took allot more effort than I thought My lefty ain't right (dlr speed alloy)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349299132.618951.jpg

mtbr member
    Does anyone else get concerned about breaking the plastic needle bearing housing at the top when doing a vigorous bearing reset?

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod View Post
    Does anyone else get concerned about breaking the plastic needle bearing housing at the top when doing a vigorous bearing reset?

- Joel
    I'd be more worried about pulling the fork apart.

Bearings are cheap, and not doing a reset will beat them up just as badly if not worse.

Main thing as I've said before, in other discussions about reset. You need to develop a feel. It will feel different at first, softer at the bottom of the stroke. Once you get near to full reset, it will become harder, like you're hitting the bottom of something solid.

Stop then, don't bother trying to squeeze out the last 2 or 3 mm if your tape says you still have that to go.

Getting those last couple is when I see forks come apart.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Not that I really care about rep points, but really? Neutral rep for this thread??

And you couldn't even sign it?

Nice guy....

WTF?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Not that I really care about rep points, but really? Neutral rep for this thread??

And you couldn't even sign it?

Nice guy....

WTF?
    ??? I gave + rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    ??? I gave + rep.
    Well thanks for that.

Someone else "grey boxed" me, (as opposed to red or green).

Bored I guess.....

Hope it's working well at least for you now!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com