Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! My latest Cannondale >>>

Hey guys . First post here on this cool and informative site for us C'dale freaks.

Allow me to introduce myself . My name's Dave . I'm from New Zealand and yes I love Cannondale .

This here is my latest acquisition, the 2007 Scalpel 1 . I decided to order only the frame and then I just built it up basically from bits'n pieces I had . She's shown here below set up with SRAM XO triggers + XO RD , SRAM X-Gen FD , Avid BB7s (I do plan on upgrading these brakes in the future but these do the job for now) , Truvativ crank with XT cassette , Maxxis Larsen TTs on Mavic XM819s , Fizi:k saddle on Thompson Elite and Ti Eggbeaters .

Anyway, thanks for looking .

Cheers,

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kiwidjmei; 08-21-2007 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sweet bike

mtbr member

Thanks mate.

My first Scalpel (and first ever Lefty too by the way). And she's the sweetest ride so far.

Now I just have to make her lose just a bit more weight ... !

jin
    mtbr member
    Very Nice!

mtbr member

Cheers !

After looking at the newer models I reckon this year's models look better. Don't know about you guys but I'm not really liking the new postion of the rear shock . Not sure why they did that ... confused:

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwidjmei
    After looking at the newer models I reckon this year's models look better. Don't know about you guys but I'm not really liking the new postion of the rear shock . Not sure why they did that ... confused:
    To allow more travel, give it a nice rate and as a bonus, it uses a more common shock size and the shock doesn't eat all the mud thrown by the rear tire on the new design... Not that the current one is not good though, a bit too little travel for my taste but it's still the winningest suspension XC race bike ever.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Ahh, I see ...

Cheers DG. Wasn't sure about the specs and didn't think about mud factor but that obviously makes a lot of sense . But it's interesting though as I'd imagine that kind of modification to the Scalpel would make the decision between buying a Rush or a Scalpel an even more difficult one for some wouldn't it ?

Anyway, I reckon I'd better go out now and find a good rear fender for my Scalpel

Kidding !

LA CHÈVRE
    I think the main reason to move the shock is the travel limit of that shock layout. As for mud, you can use a shock boot. My friend uses one on his Scalpel, Lizard Skin makes some, they just need to be cut to fit the short shock on the Scalpel. You just wrap it over the shock and close it with velcro, no disassembly needed, looks less geeky than a fender, it's lighter and it does work well to protect the shock. Shouldn't cost much either.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Great tip Dan.

I'm gonna have a hunt for one today ! Come to think of it I used to have one of those Liz Skins on my old Super V years ago. Looked interesting I recall but I didn't really need it on there. But I think having it on the Scalpel would be ideal . Brilliant !

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Lizard skin really helps. I put mine on my Scalpel when I ride after the rain, makes a WORLD of difference in the cleanup process, and keeps the wet sand/mud off of the seal, and consequently, out of the shock. And I can imagine that the new shock mount will make a big difference, as I find very little mud makes it onto the shock body on my Rush.

mtbr member

Now on Marbella slicks

Quick review of some new tires I just got for my Scalpel . IRC Marbellas . UST tires made for, as they say, "Urban Assault" . Mine are 1.50 in width. They seem to be very good and grippy round tight corners and needless to say they're very very quick slicks ..

I recommend them if you're looking for tubeless slicks (of which I've discovered there isn't much of a selection) for doing most of your base miles on paved roads . However, on the downside, as IRC tubeless tires are quite notoriously known for being a rather tight fit, you should be patient with the installation . Be prepared to spend a while getting the buggers on your rims (you may even need to use a tire lever although it's not recommended by IRC) . MAN they were bastids to get on...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kiwidjmei; 08-21-2007 at 05:31 AM.

B3 MTB
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwidjmei
    Allow me to introduce myself . My name's Dave . And I'm a Cannondale addict [/B]

Hiiiiiiiiiii daaaaaaave. welcome to Cannondales Anonymous. the first step is admitting it... here goes.

i'm mat, and im a cannondale addict, too. who's next?

mtbr member

>> Hey Mat !

Show me whatcha got in the stable dude !

Ride Fast

Good job! Nice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jin
    Very Nice!
    Thats one awesome bike. It's got an awesome paint job too. Scalpels are really good, especially yours!!

mtbr member
    8-p

mtbr member

Thanks Jacko.

Thanks Jako.
    Yeah she's a real black beauty.
    You know mate, it's funny but when I'm ridin' this thing down town I actually get a lot of looks . Could well be that luscious Lefty or maybe it's just me....??

"I'm Too Sexy for my Bike ..."

mtbr member

Scalpel Looks Great

Nice bike!

mtbr member

Thanks Wick

It was love at first sight when I saw this one .
    Last edited by kiwidjmei; 08-22-2007 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member

New question here.

Sweet bike!!!
    Can I ask how are your new slicks doing? Thinking of buying slicks for my Caffeine F1, also what bar ends are you using? Cheers man

Ridin' dirty!
    Juup... That's a real sweet bike... like the paintjob too. And I also have to admit that the '07 Scalpel looks better than the '08... And for some reason the '07 looks to be more stronger... By the way: I'd always recommend to put a Lizard Skin on a shock... I even had it on my old Super Vee and the Shock outlasted the frame...keeps dust and dirt off the air seals.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member

>>> Thanks guys !

The bike's been amazing so far . It really does feel so stable and strong but at the same time light and fast . Perfect combination ! No wonder they call it the best and winningest XC bike on the market today !

The Marbellas are holdin'up really well . Actually I went for ride along a 15km single track yesterday. They handled that terrain surprisingly well , and super fast too. Didn't lose any air at all either. The real test is Paris-Roubaix of course ...

These tires were made for street racing . But I reckon they can take a beating from most XC conditions . But like I said, the only problem with these tires is that they aren't easy to put on. IRC tubeless tires are all apparently bastids in fact. Not looking forward to the day I have to remove and re-install them. Which reminds me I gotta buy some sealant today..

The bar ends are Serfas Dual Density Stabilizers (aluminums) . I love these thnigs, super light (100gms) and super tough. I've knocked them a few times but no problem at all .

And thanks for reminding me about the Liz'Skins . I have to get one today. I know they'll make a difference to the life of the rear shock. Fortunately the bikeI hasn't been out in heavy rain or mud yet . Mostly "urban assault" these days ... 8-P

Cheers mates.

mtbr member
    Before you go the Lizard skin you might want to have a quick look at these, http://www.gebali.com/shock_jacket.htm , I haven't got one yet but they do look good, I was thinking of it for my Jekyll but the shock mount doesn't really suit it, but it could be perfect for my Scalpel!

mtbr member

That looks interesting

I like the use of Gore-Tex . Need that .

Looks like a bit of work to attach though.

Cheers for the info mate.

mtbr member
    Yeah I see what you mean by the setup, but I think it's better than having Velcro on the shock jacket, I tried that once and the velcro didn't compress very well. Plus it does look like a light weight kind of permanent setup. If anybody has used one I'd love to hear the long term feedback.

mtbr member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast