mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My first FS Bike - Prophet 800

I just bought my first Full Suspension bike. It is a 2006 Prophet 800. It was more than I budgeted but but hey what is few hundred bucks. I got it for $1500 + Tax, they threw in a ODI OURY grip and swapped my pedals to toeclips (Yes I have not switched to clipless yet). The saddle is hard as a rock though.

I set up my Bike in FR mode
    I am 5' 9'' weigh 155 so the Bike Shop guy said I should set the pressure of the rear shock to 142 psi. He said I should adjust the rebound and dampening as needed for the Lefty. I read something about sag setting I think I should go back to the shop and get help getting the right sag.

I have a few questions though before I take my bike back to the shop to get it adjusted after I take the bike for a .

• The front brake has a annoying squealing noise, is there a adjustment I can make or are the pads just trying to set in?

• The Prophet Setup Guide that they gave me says something about Travel Management, I don't see the blue dial on the Lefty MAX 140 TPC my Bike.

• The rear Brake line is getting in the way while pedaling, so I just zip tied it to the chain stay, is this ok or should I get the bike shop to reroute the rear brake line to a better position?

• Does the 2006 Prophet 800 models come with Chain Stay protector pads? My bike did not have one on it.

• The owner's Manual warns about Cable rub damage to the frame, so I looked for the clear guard where the cables touch the frame but, I did not see any. Is this a optional Kit that I should buy and fix it to the frame?

mtbr member
    nice bike, go flats or clippless though!

the rear hose on mine is routed on the iside of the swing arm - never been a problem

mtbr member
    Love the slime green paint job.

Saddle--you can probably sell it on eBay and pick up a WTB (inexpensive and more comfortable in my opinion). Some people really love the Fizik though. All personal preference.

Rear brake cable routing--I re-routed the cable on my Rush to the inside of the swingarm. It seemed to create a straighter line into the brake mechanism. I had also had the pedal strike problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    isn't the blue nob the one underneath? if you mean travel managment as being able to adjust the amount of travel, i have to dissapoint you. they tried to make a spv evolve with it, but it never made it to the marked.

in terms of rub defence, just apply some tape and replace it if it gets worn. the idea is just to have the friction from the cables work its way thorugh something else than your frame. applying the tape also makes the surface smoother so there's less fricition.

i'm not sure, but i thinking that if there wasn't chain stay protector on... i thought you just got em with the rushes at first.

the squeal should go away after the system heats up after some use, but i depends on what type of pads/disc you have. i know some brakes are more prone to making noice than others, say if it's wet or not.

setting the sag should be pretty easy, especially on the shock. there's no excact number you should run, but try with a few different ones and play with the rebound, then you'll find out what you like. i have a swinger 3 way and rund it with less sag than usual, about 10-15%, but have no spv dampening. think of your shock as pretty similar to the 3 way, but with a set propedal(platform) level and being less progressive. if set up properly - there's not a whole lot you can do, meaning rebound and sag - it should work fine. if you don't like it a swap for a 3 way would only cost 99bucks pluss shipping from santa cruz. sorry, i'm not saying hey, congrats on the new bike, but you need to upgrade your shock. i'm just saying, if you're not happy a swap can be made real cheap.

and yeah, my rear cable is routed on the inside too. works like a charm.

also, if trailriding is your thing, i would advice you to try the xc setting too. if you set the sag a little bit firmly on this setting the bike gets fast, but when you pop it into fr mode it should get plusher. running the shock plush in the xc mode would make it superplush in the fr mode, maybe a bit too much so. i prefer the xc setting when i'm going uphill and in everything but long downhills. the fr setting is def the way to go downhill though, it makes a huge difference. and if you bring a umbraco key, or do you call em allen wrenches?, it should take you all of 10 secs to change from one setting to another.

i would love to see your bike in person. i never really gotten that color when i've seen pics of it, but everybody's raving about how cool it is, so it must be really nice. congrats on the new bike! a prophet with a lefty is ahellofa fun bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Riding Impressions

After riding the about 10 miles through the trails (CVP, Frankfort KY) , I think I made a excellent decision getting this bike.

• Going down steep downhills and going over rocks and roots are no longer a problem and it is a breeze to handle these situations. Compared to my Hardtail (Raleigh M80)

• The best thing I like about this bike is how stable it is and goes where you point it too. It must the Lefty fork at work.

• I used to struggle to make it up steep hills, but surprisingly I was able climb with ease, with this bike, although it needed me to constantly shift my body weight to prevent the front wheels from lifting or prevent the rear wheels from loosing traction. (I am guessing everybody does that or it maybe it is a noob thing)

I had to re-route the rear brake line to the inside of the Chainstay swing arm to eliminate pedal strike. I did not use locktite when bolting the caliper the frame. Do I have to do it for safety purposes?

The only issues I had that spoiled my ride was this annoying constant squealing noise coming from the front caliper even when I am not braking. Should I just have to remove the pads, clean them and center it correctly. It is a new bike so must be a oversight on the mechanics part.

Also there is a clicking noise coming from the rear cassette, sounds like chain suck, the chain must be binding against the sides of the nearby gear wheels and releasing. Any ideas what it might be?

I am going to try the XC setting next and see how it compares with FR setting.

The saddle even though it feels hard was not a problem at all when riding.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mavsfan
    After riding the about 10 miles through the trails (CVP, Frankfort KY) , I think I made a excellent decision getting this bike.

• Going down steep downhills and going over rocks and roots are no longer a problem and it is a breeze to handle these situations. Compared to my Hardtail (Raleigh M80)

• The best thing I like about this bike is how stable it is and goes where you point it too. It must the Lefty fork at work.

• I used to struggle to make it up steep hills, but surprisingly I was able climb with ease, with this bike, although it needed me to constantly shift my body weight to prevent the front wheels from lifting or prevent the rear wheels from loosing traction. (I am guessing everybody does that or it maybe it is a noob thing)

I had to re-route the rear brake line to the inside of the Chainstay swing arm to eliminate pedal strike. I did not use locktite when bolting the caliper the frame. Do I have to do it for safety purposes?

The only issues I had that spoiled my ride was this annoying constant squealing noise coming from the front caliper even when I am not braking. Should I just have to remove the pads, clean them and center it correctly. It is a new bike so must be a oversight on the mechanics part.

Also there is a clicking noise coming from the rear cassette, sounds like chain suck, the chain must be binding against the sides of the nearby gear wheels and releasing. Any ideas what it might be?

I am going to try the XC setting next and see how it compares with FR setting.

The saddle even though it feels hard was not a problem at all when riding.
    The rear brake line SHOULD be on the inside of the swingarm, good thing you changed it. Most mounting bolts for calipers already have loctite on their threads. Did you see any blue stuff on them? If you did, they are fine, if not, check them often or apply some blue loctite.

If the front brake makes noise even when you are not touching the brakes, they are not setup right. They should be re-aligned so there is no rub. You can also clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) while you are at it but that wont stop the constant rub if you don't re-align them.

For the chain, check for stiff links and it's also a good idea to de-grease it and re-lube it. New chains often come in a thick grease that's there for extending their shelf life, prevent rust but it doesn't make a good lube once you install it, especially on mountain bikes. It also could just be a rear derailleur that needs adjustment. If your front brake is rubbing, your rear brake line is not routed correctly, I wouldn't be surprised that the shop didn't adjust the derailleurs too well...

Personally, I think a saddle shape has a more important role in confort than the padding softness.

Well, congratulation on your new bike, it's a real fun-machine! Once everything is tuned and adjusted just right, it's going to be a real joy to ride!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    If the front brake makes noise even when you are not touching the brakes, they are not setup right. They should be re-aligned so there is no rub. You can also clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) while you are at it but that wont stop the constant rub if you don't re-align them.
    They shouldn't be making noise when not braking, but I have had a lot of noise issues with my BB7 mechs. I've re-aligned the calipers numerous times, cleaned the rotors, resurfaced the pads, etc. This is a known problem with the avid brakes.

mtbr member
    I just bought my first Full Suspension bike. It is a 2006 Prophet 800. It was more than I budgeted but but hey what is few hundred bucks. I got it for $1500 + Tax, they threw in a ODI OURY grip and swapped my pedals to toeclips (Yes I have not switched to clipless yet). The saddle is hard as a rock though.

I set up my Bike in FR mode
    I am 5' 9'' weigh 155 so the Bike Shop guy said I should set the pressure of the rear shock to 142 psi. He said I should adjust the rebound and dampening as needed for the Lefty. I read something about sag setting I think I should go back to the shop and get help getting the right sag.

I have a few questions though before I take my bike back to the shop to get it adjusted after I take the bike for a .

• The front brake has a annoying squealing noise, is there a adjustment I can make or are the pads just trying to set in?

• The Prophet Setup Guide that they gave me says something about Travel Management, I don't see the blue dial on the Lefty MAX 140 TPC my Bike.

• The rear Brake line is getting in the way while pedaling, so I just zip tied it to the chain stay, is this ok or should I get the bike shop to reroute the rear brake line to a better position?

• Does the 2006 Prophet 800 models come with Chain Stay protector pads? My bike did not have one on it.

• The owner's Manual warns about Cable rub damage to the frame, so I looked for the clear guard where the cables touch the frame but, I did not see any. Is this a optional Kit that I should buy and fix it to the frame?

Nice bike man, I'm glad you like it. I have the exact same bike, and it's been a love affair since I bought it

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    They shouldn't be making noise when not braking, but I have had a lot of noise issues with my BB7 mechs. I've re-aligned the calipers numerous times, cleaned the rotors, resurfaced the pads, etc. This is a known problem with the avid brakes.
    I thought the Prophet 800 had Shimano LX brakes...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I thought the Prophet 800 had Shimano LX brakes...
    Whoops, you're probably right. They switched the brakes on my bike, I bought it used. Never mind what I said lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I did see the Blue stuff on the bolts when I removed the rear Brake caliper and re routed the brake lines.

The bike chain does have the thick grease on it, that could be the problem. I will degrease it and apply dry chain lube. Hopefully the rear dérailleur is set up correctly.

I will take the bike to the LBS on the weekend and ask them to re-align the front caliper and check the dérailleur and stiff links if the chain relube does not help.

My son is always sneaking the bike out for joy rides. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes my bike has Shimano LX brakes.

Pow
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    [*]Does the 2006 Prophet 800 models come with Chain Stay protector pads? My bike did not have one on it.

My fiance has an 06 Rush and I have an 06 Prophet, neither came with one. Been looking for them online ourselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I went back to the dealer and he pulled a chainstay protector from the 2007 Prophet model and gave it to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had my first Endo going a very steep downhill. Nothing bad just bruised my shoulder and elbow, got up and just kept riding, lucky for me I had caged pedals. The bike is built like a tank though.
    2006 Prophet 800

mtbr member
    I had my first Endo going a very steep downhill. Nothing bad just bruised my shoulder and elbow, got up and just kept riding, lucky for me I had caged pedals. The bike is built like a tank though.
    When I first started riding my prophet, the same thing happened to me a couple of times. I attribute a large portion of it to novice riding technique, but I also noticed that my rear shock was set too stiff, especially when compared to my front shock. This basically causes the bike to angle forward and change the headtube angel, NOT GOOD for steep, bumpy terrain.

Since then, I've re-adjusted my shocks for equal sag / stiffness and I've also got a shorter stem and higher rise bars. I haven't gone over the bars in over a year