Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

My endless problems with F29 Carbon 1 2013

Hello guys, here is my list with the problems encountered in no more than 2 months usage:
    1) seat tube crack : F29 Carbon 1 seat tube crack
    2) broken rear hub ?
    Cannondale F29 Carbon 1 Reynolds rear hub - YouTube
    3) chain stuck between bottom bracket and lower chain ring (possible due to point 2 )
    4) oil leak in the lockout area of the Lefty fork
    5) loose spokes
    6) violent vibrations on front braking (due to incorrect brake adapter)

I'm pretty disappointed with the bike as my previous cheaper RZ 120 XLR1 bike was flawless.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Longtime Cannondale lover myself. But when they went Global Corporate in 2010 and sent mfg to Asia...I got off their ship. There is better brands out there, guys....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry to hear about your F29 failing.
    I have 2011 Flash C2 29 and zero problems here, other than the chain suck, which was a major issue.
    My LBS replaced the crank with XO, the FD with XX under warranty and the problem is gone.
    I am not crazy about the front shifting (My thumbs are sore from the hard friction)
    But overall I love the bike and once the chain suck issue was fixed it never fails me.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I haven't had problems with the lockout of my fork. But it did have scratches on the inner leg, and seemed to leak oil. I had the fork sent to Cannondale in Holland. They changed the inner leg, and it's been fine since then.

As you know, my frame has a similar crack in the seat tube.

I've heard some bad things about the Reynolds wheelset. Hopefully they'll be fast when repairing your wheels. I have only had loose spokes (going to the LBS tomorrow to have that fixed).

My chain can also get stuck between the BB and the little chainring, but only if I take the rear wheel off (and put the bike in the car), and I'm not careful about not dropping the chain without the rear wheel. I've never dropped the chain or had chainsuck while riding (and I've ridden the bike quite a lot).

You definately need to have the wheels fixed, so you can ride. If you can get another wheelset instead, that could be an option? I'd get Enves if I could choose. Same with the fork, that needs to be fixed before riding. You don't want oil on your discs (not very likely, but still).

My bike also had the wrong front brake adapter. I didn't complain too much about it, but I think I should have. It is dangerous! Besides, I've now changed to 160/140 discs instead. I had problems with the stock pads though, noise and vibration.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The problem with the fork occurred only one time just before first ride, I turned the bike upside down to convert the wheels to tubeless, this could be the explanation.since then I didn't saw any leakage and seems to be okay.
    Regarding the chain stuck it might be related to the problem with the hub, because I recently noticed that for a small amount of time when I pedal in reverse (with might happen when I try to clip back the pedals) the rear cassette gets blocked so the chain could drop in that moment...
    I sent today the email to my LBS, wasn't quite a friendly email, and I'm waiting to see their response and how they want to further proceed.

mtbr member
    Well, it really is not the LBS fault that the hub went bad. I have the same wheel set on 12 Flash Carbon 29r and the freehub is fine on it. It just needs a new free hub, not a whole new hub. LBS should be able to replace it for you and may not even have to contact Reynolds on it since it shouldn't really be a Reynolds specific item. Spokes have come loose on mine, but have been fine since I have tightened them up. I would say whoever built the wheels at Reynolds did a poor job. But to be fair spokes can come loose on a new wheels set. Frame crack seems like it is related to the Save seatpost and Cannondale may need to look into that situation. I don't have that post and probably won't see the issue on mine. Chain suck can happen on any bike and is not to be considered a defect. Rough trail, slapping chain while shifting can cause it and if you throw mud into it things get worse.
    Last edited by Flash29r; 07-28-2013 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You're right, isn't the LBS fault for the hub, I just sent them my dissatisfaction regarding the multiple problems that I encountered with the bike, and the last one could prevent me participating to the upcoming races that I already paid for.
    Hopefully would be like you said, only the freehub will need to be replaced.
    The chain stuck indeed can be cause by many things, but in my case it occurred to often and without shifting. I hope to be also related to the hub problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: My endless problems with F29 Carbon 1 2013

I need a new free hub, this one looks pretty bad, the guys cleaned up but the clickets (don't know the English word) get stuck and are oxided.
    Now if I talk with my LBS I'm pretty sure that they would only delay me, how Reynolds RAP works? Can I contact them directly, it will work quicker this way?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My endless problems with F29 Carbon 1 2013-uploadfromtaptalk1375118895214.jpg  

mtbr member
    I don't think the RAP is in place for hubs, more for the rims themselves. You can try to get them to replace it under that, but you would have had to register your wheels when new. Given how your freehub looks they will not warranty it at all. Looks like it saw serious amounts of water with no maintenance. I'm thinking by looking at that it would fall under neglect. You can try to get them to replace it, but I don't think you will get very far. Just buy a new freehub and ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: My endless problems with F29 Carbon 1 2013

The wheels have no more than 2 months, whatever conditions would have been is not normal in such short time. Also the guys from service told me that the bearings and the rest are perfectly fine so if all these pieces have the same build quality then all of them would be affected the same, which is not the case here
    I would buy myself a free hub but I really don't know where I can find /order such piece..

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by muntos View Post
    I need a new free hub, this one looks pretty bad, the guys cleaned up but the clickets (don't know the English word)

It's called Freehub Pawls. Shame on Reynolds!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    http://www.reynoldscycling.com/uploa...1201162428.pdf Use this and see if you can get it cleaned up and useable. It appears to be a DT 240 hub that they use that is made to Reynolds specs. From looking at the PDF it appears to be serviceable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We have had at least 5 reynolds freehub failures at my shop alone. One occurred during Pro XC Nats…They've been replacing them but the replacements have also been failing. Luckily no one has gotten hurt yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It seems that there is a design flaw with these hubs, my question is, can I replace the freehub with another manufacturer, are any compatible ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    It's called Freehub Pawls. Shame on Reynolds!
    Reynolds doesn't make the hubs, so really not their fault. They are DT hubs with Reynolds name on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muntos View Post
    It seems that there is a design flaw with these hubs, my question is, can I replace the freehub with another manufacturer, are any compatible ?
    Hard to say, would have to be some trial and error. Your LBS would have to help you with that. I don't know how interchangable the freehubs are from one brand to another hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My LBS don't know sh**, actually they only sold me the bike and for any problems they told me to contact the local Cannondale dealer. The local dealer is another bad joke...
    Ok, let's say that freehub is hard to match, but how about a whole hub? I didn't see many options for 24 holes hub either...

mtbr member
    They sold you the bike and they are not a Cannondale dealer? So is this a used bike or new? Why don't you try to contact Reynolds and see what they can do for you. Sounds like you have no decent local support what so ever. Beyond that you get another hub laced up to the rim and your done. DT is the maker of the hubs from what I can find out, but since they were done for Reynolds you may have to go through them.

mtbr member
    Here you go: DT Swiss 180/240/350 Freehub Body at WesternBikeworks Seems like it is a direct replacement, but I am not a 100% positive. You may have to contact them before purchase.

mtbr member
    Ok, just found this: Excel Sports: Servicing a DT Freehub body - YouTube If these are indeed DT hubs they seem simple as hell to service. Probably not the body at all but the star gears just need a good cleaning and lube. Watch it and perform the maintenance to see how it works for your. OP, yours looks like it just needs a good cleaning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The shop that sold me the bike is in another town and they are some sort of Cannondale re-seller. The bike is new.
    I have sent to Reynolds an email, I'm waiting for a reply.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It would be simple if the hub is this, but it is totally different, the powls are attached to a spring, and even if the guy from service tried to clean and lube them very very good they still get blocked because the spring seems to lost its tension power.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hmmmmm. Maybe I should see what my freehub looks like....

EDIT: How is it removed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes, it would be a good idea to check it, because it seems is a problem with the 2013 wheels design.
    Love'm - Hate'm Reynolds 29er Carbon Wheelset

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How did you remove the freehub?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast