Thread: my chain broke

cannondale rider

my chain broke

i was out riding on paved trails yesterday trying to get back in shape and the chain on my f900 broke. i looked and couldnt find the pin. i also think i lost a link. ive never broken a chain before, do lbs have links and pins. also, i have a chain tool, is it difficult to put it back together. the bike is a 1998, so could it be age that broke the chain. thanks in advance
    rshank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rshank3499
    i was out riding on paved trails yesterday trying to get back in shape and the chain on my f900 broke. i looked and couldnt find the pin. i also think i lost a link. ive never broken a chain before, do lbs have links and pins. also, i have a chain tool, is it difficult to put it back together. the bike is a 1998, so could it be age that broke the chain. thanks in advance
    rshank
    If it's a shimano chain you can pick up a pin that looks like this: http://www.bikeworld.com/components/...pid=647&cat=72
    Basically you use your chain tool to guide the tapered end in and then break it off with the other end firmly holding the links. If you lost a link, I'd just go get a new chain anyway. Of course if the rest of the drive-train (cassette, chain rings etc) is a 1998 then you probably will have to replace all of it for optimum performance. Sometimes a new chain on an old cassette can just bounce around back there and cause ghost shifting. 7years on a chain is a long time....even if you only ride it occasionally, I typically change mine every year, or when I break it
    You can't test courage cautiously.

-Annie Dillard

cannondale rider
    its a sach chain. how much would all of that cost. my f900 is my secondary bike, my prophet is my main, so i dont want to put a lot of money into it.

mtbr member
    you can get a new chain for 20 bucks from your lbs, your chain has to be way strecthed out after 7 years

cannondale rider
    how much for a cassette and chainrings

mtbr member
    $10-15 for cassette off of ebay, about 2x's as much new from the store. Rings $15-
    $25-$35 for new. Not sure what rings would go for off of ebay, of course it may depend on what kind of cranks they are, some are considered proprietary and need to be paired with their own brand. You may not need any of that depending on how the chain seats and how worn the originals are, but a new chain may not like the worn teeth on your rings and cassette you just might have to start cheap (new chain 1st) and then change parts as needed.
    You can't test courage cautiously.

-Annie Dillard

cannondale rider
    theyre coda cranks

LA CHÈVRE
    A 98 Coda crankset used the standard compact 5 bolt pattern (94/58mm BCD) of the time so you can use any brand that use that standard so you should have no problems finding cheap rings.,,

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    F**k me, It broke after 7 years, what kind of rubbish have you bought?

Members who have read this thread: 0