mtbr member
    Apr 2007

My Butt Feels Mushy!

Couldnt find any better words to describe how my prophet feels right now.
    I have a Prophet 3 and havent ridden it for a couple of months.
    Just took it out for a quick spin getting it ready for tomorrows ride and it feels a bit weird.
    It feels soft and plush and just over sagging, any suggestions on what to do?
    Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    It needs exercise! And adjust it's shock too...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    and that my friend is exactly what I dont know how exactly to do!
    HELP!

LA CHÈVRE
    Okay... What shock do you have? Manitou Swinger 3 Way Air? Swinger X3? If you have a Swinger 3-Way Air, make sure you have over 50 PSI in the red valve that controls the platform before doing everything below.

The basics of adjusting Air shocks: You must adjust the air pressure of your shock to get the correct sag. Sag is the amount of suspension used with your weight on the bike in a standard riding position. A good amount on the Prophet is about 30% of the travel (25% if you are more a XC rider, 35% if you ride more like a freerider). Since the shock has a 50mm stroke, the shock should compress by about 15mm when you sit on it. How to measure? On your shock, there should be a little rubber ring, like an elastic around the shock's shaft. Push it against the shock body. Smoothly get on the bike (don't bounce on it has it would compress the shock more) and then get off, smoothly again. Now measure the distance between the little rubber ring and the shock body. If it moved too much, add air as needed in the main air chamber (black valve on a Swinger 3-Way-Air).

Then there is an adjustable platform on Swinger shocks. The X3 is controled by a lever so it's easy. The 3 Way Air is controlled by the second valve (red)... Basically, the more air you have in there, the stronger the pedalling platform will be so it will bob less but will lose some small bump sensitivity. You just have to find the sweet spot. Can't tell you a precise figure, it depends of your weight, how you like the bike to feel...

Then, you have a rebound knob (blue?). Start about in the middle and then adjust after testing. Too fast will make you bounce after you hit a bump or land a jump. Too slow and the suspension will pack after fast succesive hits. Again, you need to find the sweet spot.

You think you're done? Nope! Well, kind of but everything I just wrote is just a way to find a not too bad starting point. After you ride, you may find it to be too stiff, too soft, too bouncy... You need to play around until you get your perfect setup. Don't be scared, the sag technique is pretty effective most of the time, rebound is adjusted on the trail as you ride (platform too on the X3)... Bring your pump along, at least on the first few rides, until you are happy with the setup...

Any other questions?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great timing of this thread as I am also adjusting my Swinger 3 Way Air. My question is as I unscrew the Manitou pump from the schrader valves I hear air escaping from the valve. When I replace the pump to recheck air pressure I lost almost 25 psi.

Do you compensate for that and over-inflate / over-charge the shock in anticipation of the lost air pressure when removing the pump? I seem to lose more air from the SPV valve when compared to the main valve if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

LA CHÈVRE
    The air that you hear when disconnecting the pump is the air in the pump. When connecting it again, air from the shock fills the pump so the only lost air is the air that leaves the shock to fill the pump. The smaller the air chamber in a shock/fork, the more it will drop when connecting a pump.

That's all assuming your pumps and valves are functioning properly of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    EXCELLENT REPLY! Finally someone that explained to me how the shock works.
    I think that only my rebound is off, as for sag it seems fine...
    By the way I have a X3 shock.
    Thanks again! Will keep you posted!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks Dan!