Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 29/44

ganginwood

My 29/44

'08 rush.........
    i'm still missing the boat on this one. for the few extra grams i'm saving (not pounds) why should i enjoy not having a granny ring? looking at gear inches, this 2x9 is quite a spread. furthermore, i very seldom run the big ring. its purpose for me was to jam it into a log/obstacle. as a spinner, maybe this isn't for me.

i haven't used the crank yet but i'd like some feedback before it becomes a used item and harder to sell/trade.

only field tested reply's please. i'm not interested in theory.
    thanks,
    kevin

edit-- i know i can toss a trip on it.
    Last edited by ganginwood; 01-25-2008 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good Question

I'm wondering the same! I bought the three ring spider & rings, cause i'm not sure which setup to have ? Right now its setup with the 2 x 9?

LA CHÈVRE
    I like it but I can crank tall gears and forcing yourself to pedal in taller gears will get you stronger and faster too. At places you would usually downshift and spin a long climb, you are forced to go faster since you can't pedal at a too slow cadence. As a result, you climb faster than you would normally do. It's like forcing the 'always use a cog smaller than you would like' theory to climb faster. Also, what I like about it is that I tend to shift more with the rear derailleur as it shifts much quicker and much smoother than the front, having only two chainrings, you use the rear shifer more and the front less.

It's definitly not for everyone though, it's aimed for strong XC racers that almost never use the granny and tallest cogs combinations anyway, if you do use a 22 x 30-34 combo usually, you may miss it a lot.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

ganginwood
    i'd be worried about lactic build-up at a lower rmp on the steeps. this is a tough call.

LA CHÈVRE
    If you have another bike at a similar weight as your Rush (I could climb places on my 23lbs hardtail with much taller gearing than I can on my 27lbs Prophet so the weight does make a difference), calculate the gearing of 29x44, find out the closest equivalent on your bike and try to ride while staying in that range, it's the best way to really know if you can do it. If you're a true spinner and ride steep climbs a lot though, there is no shame to use 3 chainrings.

fella
    29/42 is even better. I much prefer it over a triple. No messing with crappy granny shifting. Generally you just ride in 29 on hillier parts of the course and switch to 42 on flats.
    Unless you live in mountains with really steep climbs you don't need a granny in XC racing.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

ganginwood
    i have the 07 carbon rush too.
    backcountry shuttle
    my wife was supposed to ride the new rush but didn't like the paint job nor the 2x9. i told her she could race my rig from last year and i'll take the new one. that's what kind of guy i am.
    i'm concerned about a log over with a chain on the big ring. maybe i'll just toss an xtr on there. never hads a problem with one of them. hollowgram anyone?

mtbr member
    I'll buy anyone's 2x9 ccdale/fsa chain rings that doesn't want them (for the right price of course). I have been running 2x9 for a little more than a year now and find that it mentally makes things easier for me (maybe I'm a retard). It just makes it easier to only have 2 gear choices up front. Either big ring or little ring. You're not on a long climb in a race wondering if you should shift to the middle ring or not. You may suffer a little from time to time, but as Dan says, it will just make you faster. I too believe that on a heavier trail bike or the bike you may do epic rides on it is nice to have the 22. One other advantage of 2x9 is that it seems I never have the chain fall off to the inside like seems to happen once in while when dropping down to the 22.

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    One other advantage of 2x9 is that it seems I never have the chain fall off to the inside like seems to happen once in while when dropping down to the 22.
    now your talking...if this was around the horn i'd toss a coupla points your way.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I know the spindle on the 2X9 is 10mm shorter which brings the pedals in 5mm on both sides. This is very desirable for most.
    EDIT: As MaestroXC and rumshcawheely pointed out below, the bearings do not line up with the 122mm spindle, so the first line of info here is incorrect. The spindle is only 1mm shorter. Thanks guys for clearing that up.

I ride my Rush on long rides sometimes and could not do without the smallest ring - faster or not, it would make some sections miserable for the old legs. I love to ride very fast, but I am not into being miserable.

A 27X42 would be a better choice IMO.
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 01-28-2008 at 01:54 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by slyboots
    29/42 is even better. I much prefer it over a triple. No messing with crappy granny shifting. Generally you just ride in 29 on hillier parts of the course and switch to 42 on flats.
    Unless you live in mountains with really steep climbs you don't need a granny in XC racing.
    I agree, my favorite gearing for a light XC bike is a 29/42 front with a 11-34 cassette...

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I run a 29/38 to a 12-32.When the cassette wears out I'll do a 12-34.Works good for New England conditions.With the 38 it's easy to stay in the big ring;I build monentum real quick and the 38 is easier to spin(like a 39 on the road).

More than somewhat.
    I was told by my dealer that he can throw a different spline on the 22/44, turning it into a triple. I'm having it done to my Taurine Team (if it EVER gets here), to make it nicer for the epics that can happen in MT. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 6 mile plus long climbs that would require the 22 starting from the bottom.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    '08 rush.........
    this 2x9 is quite a spread. furthermore, i very seldom run the big ring. its purpose for me was to jam it into a log/obstacle. as a spinner, maybe this isn't for me.

Kevin,

How's it going? You upgrading this year?? Congrats on the '08 Rush - I'm racing a Caffiene F29 this year.

If you decide to get rid of the 2x9 - let me know, I'd be interested in grabbing it from you.

-matt

www.mattmorr.blogspot.com

ganginwood
    i was wondering who mattmor was. i checked the blog and saw your pic. i have a caffiene 29er but i'm not racing it. im staying with the rush. i had pretty good results with it last year.
    what do you mean by upgrading....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=yogiprophet]I now the spindle on the 2X9 is 10mm shorter which brings the pedals in 5mm on both sides. This is very desirable for most.

Not true. The new Scalpels are coming with the 131mm spindle (I put a 128mm one on mine and there is hardly enough clearence between the big ring and the chainstay. They used to make a 122mm spindle but they quit that a few years ago. If I were to put a 122mm spindle on my scalpel I'm quite sure the big ring will rub the chainstay. The carbon rush and tourine have a slightly wider bb shell so they can't come with that narrow of a bb spindle either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    i was wondering who mattmor was. i checked the blog and saw your pic. i have a caffiene 29er but i'm not racing it. im staying with the rush. i had pretty good results with it last year.
    what do you mean by upgrading....
    Kevin,

Which Caffiene do you have? And have you lightened it up a bit? That's what I'm in the process of doing now. Any thoughts on unloading that crankset for a 3x9?

What I was referring to with upgrading was - Sport to expert class.

-matt

mnt bike laws of physics
    Not true. The new Scalpels are coming with the 131mm spindle (I put a 128mm one on mine and there is hardly enough clearence between the big ring and the chainstay. They used to make a 122mm spindle but they quit that a few years ago. If I were to put a 122mm spindle on my scalpel I'm quite sure the big ring will rub the chainstay. The carbon rush and tourine have a slightly wider bb shell so they can't come with that narrow of a bb spindle either.
    The BB shell may be wider on my Rush, but with a different spider it could easily accomidate the 122mm spindle. I have gobs of room between my crank arms and the swingarm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How???

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I agree, my favorite gearing for a light XC bike is a 29/42 front with a 11-34 cassette...
    How are you doing the 29/42 combo? I want to do this but I don't really wanna buy new cranks. I have a couple cransets (standard 4 bolt, XTR 970, and some old square taper Race Face next lp - I think 5 bolt - but I can't remember)

I'd like to use what I have if I can, otherwise I need to know the least expensive and lightest way to go. Thanks.

-matt

fella
    XTR won't work, unless you put 29T ring as a granny and 42T as a middle. 30T from Extralite is the smallest middle ring you can put on a 4-bolt 104 BCD crank.
    You need a 5-bolt 94/58 BCD crank. Check your RF Next LP's, they came in both 94/58 and 110/74 5-bolt patterns. You might be lucky, those are very good cranks.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmor
    How are you doing the 29/42 combo? I want to do this but I don't really wanna buy new cranks. I have a couple cransets (standard 4 bolt, XTR 970, and some old square taper Race Face next lp - I think 5 bolt - but I can't remember)

I'd like to use what I have if I can, otherwise I need to know the least expensive and lightest way to go. Thanks.

-matt
    As Slyboots said, for a 29 middle ring, you need a 5 bolt compact crankset (94 BCD), the smallest chainring that fits the 104 BCD 4 bolt is a Extralite 30T. Otherwise, you can find a 28T granny ring (I have never seen a 29T granny) you mount instead of the granny and put the big ring in the middle position with singlespeed chainring bolts. The beauty of that option is that it makes a better chainline than just taking the granny off unless you use a shorter BB spindle, which is not always possible with outboard bearings cranksets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    The BB shell may be wider on my Rush, but with a different spider it could easily accomidate the 122mm spindle. I have gobs of room between my crank arms and the swingarm.
    If it's a new carbon Rush, it isn't chainring clearance that is the primary problem, it's the bearing surfaces on the spindle. With the wider shell, the bearings are in a different place than in the 68mm shell; they won't match up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet

You are wrong by saying that the 2x9 cranks are coming with a 10mm shorter spindle. That would be a good thing for the bikes that it would work on (if there are any), but even the ones that the big ring would clear on, the crank arm might rub the chainstay and even if that works, with wide top tubes, your knees might rub on them. I'm pretty sure Cannondale works all the angles here.

mnt bike laws of physics
    You are wrong by saying that the 2x9 cranks are coming with a 10mm shorter spindle. That would be a good thing for the bikes that it would work on (if there are any), but even the ones that the big ring would clear on, the crank arm might rub the chainstay and even if that works, with wide top tubes, your knees might rub on them. I'm pretty sure Cannondale works all the angles here.
    2 other guys already beat you to it. Besides I already edited my original post to correct it. And yes it would work on my Rush (for a 2X9 that is)by a long shot, if the bearing races lined up.
    Let's move on...

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I run Cannodale cx-2 cranks,octalink bb compatible,2x9 specific.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast