Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

My 2012 Cannondale Flash Ultimate needs a diet ;)

Don't tell her I told you... but I want her to go on a diet.

Realistically, without spending thousands.... is there a way to get the weight down?

and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Tires and seat post stand out to me.

mtbr member
    Every single part of your bike can be lighter including taking the paint off the frame but I wouldn't consider that an upgrade. Check out Eliflap's bikes to see a hardcore Cannondale weenie.

mtbr member
    Tbh, I'm just waiting for Eliflap to see this thread and give me a list lol!

It's only a matter of time

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    lol @ Eliflap comments He's going to make you sand that nice paint job off though!

SAVE seatpost is nice but around 229g You could swap that for KCNC - 160g ish
    Crossmax SLR's are not that light either. You could save about 100-200g there I reckon
    Foam grips 50g ish saving
    Schmolke handlebar - 30g saving

How much does the bike weigh at the moment btw? It can't exactly be"heavy"

Even if you're not in Europe, this site is a good reference: r2-bike.de They have pics of all the components on scales so you can see how much the real weight is, not what the lying manufacturers say it weighs...

Helmetless Crasher
    You can prolly shave 350g for about a grand. Or shave your entire head/body and take a pre-race/ride dump.

Or both.

Keep in mind that there are of course lighter wheelsets than the Mavic SLR, but most will likely be weaker and not be lighter in the actual rim (which is where it really counts).

Unless you are tiny and ride on smooth terrain, beware of feathery parts w/ a stated rider weight limit.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    what does it currently weight?

mtbr member
    I haven't weighed her in a long time.... I think she's around 17lbs (not exactly heavy). But that's with tubes, if I went tubeless, I could probably get like1lbs off...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is your objective just to get it as light as possible? Or are you racing it etc?

I got to a point with my 29er Flash where I didn't want to give up any performance / comfort (Save post, Ergon grips, comfy saddle, etc.) just to get a few more grams off. That pretty much dictated where the weight saving stopped for me.

LA CHÈVRE
    I too like light weight bikes, but unless they're just for showing off, I wouldn't trade reliability and performance just to save weight. Sure a light bike is nice and climbs like a rocket, but if you like to ride or if you race, you want a bike that will let you finish your rides and races. I've tried some light wheels that were theorically great but if they're not stiff enough, it's not an upgrade over much stiffer wheels that are a tad heavier. And where I live, trails are technical, lots of rocks and roots, bikes need to be able to take some abuse so again, too light often means more fragile. At 17lbs, you have a bike that is light but not crazy light, it's built to handle real mountain bike riding so I wouldn't go crazy.

I'd ditch the tubes that's for sure, cheap upgrade that will not only drop some weight but also give a better ride, more traction and less flats...

I haven't tried the SAVE seatpost much but I don't think I'd really need it, You could drop some weight there.

I don't remember what bars are on your bike, I'm getting more picky on bars now, but more for fit and comfort... I like new school wide bars with more sweep than classical flat XC bars. On my Scalpel, I switched to a lower and longer stem with a wider bar with more sweep. My weight is pretty much distributed the same way between both wheels but I'm more comfortable, I have more pulling torque for climbing and the width helps on fast and steep descents. Your bars look very high, but fit is very personal.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-15-2012 at 07:12 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    Is your objective just to get it as light as possible? Or are you racing it etc?

I got to a point with my 29er Flash where I didn't want to give up any performance / comfort (Save post, Ergon grips, comfy saddle, etc.) just to get a few more grams off. That pretty much dictated where the weight saving stopped for me.
    I'm going to be racing her, and I think you've hit the nail on the head there if I'm honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    I too like light weight bikes, but unless they're just for showing off, I wouldn't trade reliability and performance just to save weight. Sure a light bike is nice and climbs like a rocket, but if you like to ride or if you race, you want a bike that will let you finish your rides and races. I've tried some light wheels that were theorically great but if they're not stiff enough, it's not an upgrade over much stiffer wheels that are a tad heavier. And where I live, trails are technical, lots of rocks and roots, bikes need to be able to take some abuse so again, too light often means more fragile. At 17lbs, you have a bike that is light but not crazy light, it's built to handle real mountain bike riding so I wouldn't go crazy.

I'd ditch the tubes that's for sure, cheap upgrade that will not only drop some weight but also give a better ride, more traction and less flats...

I haven't tried the SAVE seatpost much but I don't think I'd really need it, You could drop some weight there.

I don't remember what bars are on your bike, I'm getting more picky on bars now, but more for fit and comfort... I like new school wide bars with more sweep than classical flat XC bars. On my Scalpel, I switched to a lower and longer stem with a wider bar with more sweep. My weight is pretty much distributed the same way between both wheels but I'm more comfortable, I have more pulling torque for climbing and the width helps on fast and steep descents. Your bars look very high, but fit is very personal.
    It comes with the FSA K-Force bars.. I'm actually planning on swapping them out for the FSA K-force risers, simply because I don't like flats. I find them really uncomfortable....

The plan was always to go tubeless, I just haven't got round to it yet... with regards to the save seat post, I kinda like it, it's comfy I guess I could change it if I had to... but it would only be if I had to.

What do you think about the DT Swiss XCR's that came on the 2011 Flash Ultimate vs the Mavic SLR's?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    What do you think about the DT Swiss XCR's that came on the 2011 Flash Ultimate vs the Mavic SLR's?
    I haven't tried them but heard good things. The rear hub is way better than the Mavic (durability and mechanically speaking although, to Mavic's credit, it takes about 5 minutes to completely rebuild the rear Mavic hub with only two allen wrenches), the rims are quite lighter too but heard they're tough and very stiff... the rest of the wheels is probably not as stiff as the Crossmax SLR (theorically. Low count, light steel spokes, DT rear hubs have the spoke flanges a bit closer to each other)... I'd guess overall stiffness should be comparable. I almost bought a pair once but my bike budget was a bit too tight. And of course, the Mavic rims are the easiest to setup tubeless. But take it for what it is, I haven't tried them so perhaps people who did could give some more valuable feedback...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    and what is your weight? perhaps it's cheaper to drop couple of killos from yourself

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I haven't weighed her in a long time.... I think she's around 17lbs (not exactly heavy). But that's with tubes, if I went tubeless, I could probably get like1lbs off...
    Are you sure about the weight? I have almost the same exact build on a 2011 Flash Ultimate and mine weights in at 18lbs (confirmed on two different shop scales).

The few differences on my 2011 Flash are all lighter as well..a Fizik Carbon Cyrano post (lighter than the SAVE), Fizik Tundra 00 saddle (Lighter than the Tundra 2), tubeless Racing Ralph FR & RR, Slim Lefty boot, and size small frame. Everything else is the same so I imagine yours is probably over 18lbs. Still very light.

Helmetless Crasher
    Tubeless is good for roughly 50-100g per wheel vs. a decent tube. Obviously, its a no-brainer mod that should be done anyway, but don't expect to drop a pound . . .
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 03-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KtKona View Post
    Are you sure about the weight? I have almost the same exact build on a 2011 Flash Ultimate and mine weights in at 18lbs (confirmed on two different shop scales).

The few differences on my 2011 Flash are all lighter as well..a Fizik Carbon Cyrano post (lighter than the SAVE), Fizik Tundra 00 saddle (Lighter than the Tundra 2), tubeless Racing Ralph FR & RR, Slim Lefty boot, and size small frame. Everything else is the same so I imagine yours is probably over 18lbs. Still very light.
    First of all, she's a beaut.

I can't remember the exact weight, but it's definitely under 18lbs... Not sure why mines lighter? Are you running the hi-mod frame or something? That was with pedals as well... Have you noticed, we both have each other's Lefty's? lol! Give it back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    First of all, she's a beaut.

I can't remember the exact weight, but it's definitely under 18lbs... Not sure why mines lighter? Are you running the hi-mod frame or something? That was with pedals as well... Have you noticed, we both have each other's Lefty's? lol! Give it back!
    Well I guess it's mine that needs a diet!

I am puzzled as to where the difference would be? The frame is also a BallisTec Hi-MOD carbon. In addition to the lighter parts I have, my cranks 170mm and OPI stem 90mm should also be good for a few more grams. Maybe the tires? What size tires do you are your Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic? My Racing Ralphs are 2.25" and were approx. 525g ea.

Anyone else have an idea where the weight difference could be?

Yea, I didn't like the green clamps on the 2011 Lefty so I went with a 2012 Lefty with black clamps and an 88 aid tuning with team decal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KtKona View Post
    Well I guess it's mine that needs a diet!

I am puzzled as to where the difference would be? The frame is also a BallisTec Hi-MOD carbon. In addition to the lighter parts I have, my cranks 170mm and OPI stem 90mm should also be good for a few more grams. Maybe the tires? What size tires do you are your Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic? My Racing Ralphs are 2.25" and were approx. 525g ea.

Anyone else have an idea where the weight difference could be?

Yea, I didn't like the green clamps on the 2011 Lefty so I went with a 2012 Lefty with black clamps and an 88 aid tuning with team decal.

I have no idea, I'll get her weighed up and take a picture for you The frame is the frame that is found on the 2011 Flash Ultimate right?

I'm pretty sure it's the 2012 shock.. you can get the same forks on the Scalpel's. Not sure why I ended up with those colors... I really like the green clamps. The 2011 frame is better looking if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Finally found your new colorful mint fresh ultimate sweet.

Great ideas in this thread:-

Lose weight: take a poo

mtbr member
    I'm getting there, it takes time though.

So far Ive...

- Swapped the Mavic SLRs for DT Swiss XCR 1.2s
    - Ditched the Avids for Hope Race X2s

I'm going to swap the seat post out, as well as running some tubeless Racing Ralphs and getting some Egg Beater 11s.

mtbr member
    I have XTRs on all my MTB bikes, how you finding the Egg Beaters - they look uncomfy!

I have DT Swiss on the hi-mod and it's a great wheelset - considering Stan ZTRs to lighten both bikes but tbh don't need it..

Will ride them a season & see what they need. Ride & get fit & stop looking at upgrades.

mtbr member
    The Egg Beaters are amazing.

Get the DT Swiss xcd 1.2s they're an amazing wheel set!

Yeah, I need to do that also.

mtbr member
    Poop more & loose weight it's free

True nice wheelset I have the 200g heavier approx xcr's 1.5

mtbr member
    They're alloy though right?

They won't be as stiff...

mtbr member
    They're alloy though right?

They won't be as stiff...
    It's not an upgrade - the Mavic SLRs would be stiffer (but are not the lightest) the XCR1.2s carbons you suggest would beat them pants down.

The xcr's 1.2s are maybe worth the few hundred grams difference if you can pick up a set ...
    Last edited by wallstreet; 11-24-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast