mtbr member

My 2000 SuperV700SX just broke today...

I was doing my ride at the trail and I heard a loud "pop". I thought I kicked up a rock. About the same time my chain popped off the inside sprocket in the rear. I pulled it back and rode more. The chain popped off like that twice more. So I moved the front sprocket to the smallest one to lower my range so I wouldn't have to shift that low in the rear.

Then I rode another loop around the trail. After the ride I brought it to the bike shop to get my free adjustment and that was when he pointed out the crack in the rear swing arm. Here's some pictures.

This bike is 14 years old and a 26". They just don't make any parts for it any more even though the frame has a lifetime warranty. So I took it to another bike shop (the shop I bought at no longer sells Cannondale). This other shop does. So he took my information, S/N and photos and will contact Cannondale and let me know what they'll do. So my bike might just wind up as a "boat anchor". And I may have to get a new bike. He said they may give me a few hundred dollars towards a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The swing arm off a Jekyll fits straight on as I replaced the cracked swing arm on my Super V 1000SL with one. While looking for info about the cracked cast arm I found this site Uber Swingarms
    As you can read the dimensions are the same so all you need to do is find one that's not been fitted to an uber V.
    Cannondale replaced the cast rear arms that were prone to cracking with the Jekyll type if you were the original purchaser of bike but that happened so long ago that there won't be any left in Cannondale stock I would think. This site cannondale SUPER V shows the Super Vs using the cast arm till end of 2001 then the Jekyll arm after that. I see on that site it shows your 700SX had a Lefty, I removed the 80mm Headshok from mine and fitted a 100mm Lefty. It might be old, 14y.o. like your's, but it's still a great bike to ride, don't let your's die.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yep, just source a new swing arm from somewhere, (Jekyll, Raven type preferably) and keep in truckin'.

Do yourself a favor though, and don't buy that style, they all broke, just as yours did.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokipea View Post
    The swing arm off a Jekyll fits straight on as I replaced the cracked swing arm on my Super V 1000SL with one. While looking for info about the cracked cast arm I found this site Uber Swingarms
    As you can read the dimensions are the same so all you need to do is find one that's not been fitted to an uber V.
    Cannondale replaced the cast rear arms that were prone to cracking with the Jekyll type if you were the original purchaser of bike but that happened so long ago that there won't be any left in Cannondale stock I would think. This site cannondale SUPER V shows the Super Vs using the cast arm till end of 2001 then the Jekyll arm after that. I see on that site it shows your 700SX had a Lefty, I removed the 80mm Headshok from mine and fitted a 100mm Lefty. It might be old, 14y.o. like your's, but it's still a great bike to ride, don't let your's die.
    I'm waiting to hear back from the Cannondale via the bike shop as this only just happened. He said it would be about a week. But thanks for your information. I would like to keep riding this bike instead of purchasing a new one. I looked on Ebay and found nothing for this bike.I'll check those links.

I did some looking around on Ebay and could not find any Jekyll rear arms either. So I don't know how I can possibly get this bike going again unless I can get a rear swing arm.
    Last edited by Zomby Woof (MCM700); 4 Weeks Ago at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I saw your post in the other thread. It's been many many months and my issue hasn't been resolved. I contacted someone at Cannondale HQ that used to work at my LBS and still no resolution. I sent him an email that I want a 29" frame if I don't hear from them by today. I doubt I'll get a response.
    Between the 2 of us, maybe we can put a bike together. My frame is cracked where the seat tube meets top tube. My swingarm seems fine, it's also yellow.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I just put a post in the 29er forum that I got a new Scalpel. I got it under the warranty claim. It wasn't a free bike or an exchange. I got it for 40% off MSRP. I saw a mention of that in a thread about their warranty claims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The 40% off never made sense to me, since the LBS had last year's bikes on sale for 30% off.
    They would claim that:
    the newer bike was soooo much better than last year's. I have a 10+ year old bike, that makes no difference to me. Anything remotely newer would be a big improvement.
    they rarely have stuff on sale. Not true, there is something on sale every time I've walked in there.
    I'm average height, so it's unlikely my size would be there. There was one yesterday.

40% off a $5,000 sounds like a great deal, but I don't need anything that fancy.

Ridin' dirty!
    You can always find parts like swingarms and such for older cdales on fleabay:Cannondale Super V Freeride Swingarm w Dropout GC | eBay
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V