mtbr member

My '13 Cannondale F29 3 (thoughts and review)

OK sorry for not posting this sooner, but i've edited to include my full review. first, the parts. (copied and pasted the list from c'dale's site and will write on each part).

As it sits, the bike is under 22lb 13oz (in the picture it had some heavy ergo grips which have been replaced with lizard skins, along with a plastic mount for my garmin GPS) set up tubeless with Crank Pro EB3s, ritchey carbon bars, and Tioga spyder twin tail (i know it's the road saddle but it's held up great), one cannondale bottle cage, and an otherwise stock bike.

FRAME
    F-SERIES 29'ER, BALLISTEC CARBON, SPEED SAVE, BB30, 1.5 SI HEAD TUBE

Wow... this thing is compliant. cannondale really did their research int his respect. The top tube is longish (nah, really, it's long...) and i almost fear the bike is SLIGHTLY too big for me in XL (which i've never experienced at 6'3"). after some maneuvering of the componentry i've gotten comfortable on it. Only time will tell

FORK
    NEW LEFTY PBR 90 29, HYBRID NEEDLE BEARING TECHNOLOGY

What can be said about this fork that hasn't already been said over and over again. i'm a big guy and, as it turns out, i've never been on a stiff fork before (which i didn't know until i tried my hardest to get some flex out of this lefty). my only gripe is that the extra 10mm would be nice for a total of 100mm stock travel, but the bike is a purpose built race bike so i understand

CRANK
    SRAM S1000, BB30, 38/24

meh... heavy... no biggie though. going 1x10 soon so this will suffice for now.

BOTTOM BRACKET
    SRAM BB30

LOW. i've never had to half pedal so much on a bike before. not bad once you get used to it though.

SHIFTERS
    SHIMANIO SLX, 2X10

I'm not terribly thrilled with the SLX shifters, but i will assuredly replace the rear der. shifter with an XT or XTR unit as i like the double upshift feature they offer, and they shift much faster. at least it's not sram though, amirite?!

COG SET
    SRAM PG-1030, 11-36, 10-SPEED

Nothing to be desired here, at least in florida. i rarely see 6 of the 10 gears and i don't use my granny gear (though i do more on this bike than previous bikes)

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X7, S3

blegh. it already misshifts (cables need to be tightened anyway). i'm getting rid of it anyway and going 1x10

REAR DERAILLEUR
    SHIMANO XT, 10-SPEED SHADOW +

yes please!

RIMS
    WTB FREQUENCY RACE I19, TCS, 32-HOLE

Here's where i was really impressed. absolutely love these. the rims are even about 90g lighter each (judt the i19 rims) than my Arch EXs. i kept them instead of going through the hassle of lacing up the stans.

HUBS
    FORMULA LEFTY SL FRONT, SHIMANO FH-M525, REAR

These will probably get swapped out for some lighter bits eventually, but for now they're fine

TIRES
    SCHAWLBE RACING RALPH PERFORMANCE, 29X2.1" EVO

did 'em up tubeless and kept 'em. may go a bit bigger in the front, but these aren't bad (though a bit soft)

BRAKE
    AVID ELX 7, 180/160MM

blegh! you have to be kidding me with these. i almost considered swapping these out with some old bottom of the line shimano HDBs i have in the garage... going either SLX or XT here as well eventually

HANDLEBAR
    CANNONDALE C2, 700X10, 2014 DOUBLE-BUTTED ALLOY

Wouldn't know. came off immediately for the carbon bars

STEM
    CANNONDALE OPI ADJUSTABLE, 31.8, -15 DEGREE(M-L), -5 DEGREE(X)

a bit long but i assume necessary with the somewhat steep HTA (as it turns out, i'm a HUGE fan of a steep HTA)

SADDLE
    PROLOGO X8

also in the parts bin in exchange for my tioga

SEAT POST
    CANNONDALE C2, 27.2MMX400MM,

I ordered an easton haven replacement on closeout so this is going in the parts bin too.

Stand by for what I assume will be a long winded review

Last edited by TwoNin9r; 01-01-2014 at 06:52 PM.

DMills
    Apr 2012
    Love my F29er...I went with XXX Bontrager bars and Ritchey seat post. Also upgraded to XT brakes and added a Chris King rear hub. I absolutely love this bike - it's very fast and nimble - the lefty makes a 29er so quick to respond in the turns. I'm anxious to see your extensive review. BTW - I'm in So Fla (I see your FL license plate in one of the pics). See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    Haha awesome! Yeah it'll get upgrades here and there. I absolutely LOATHE the x7 brakes so that will likely be the first thing to go. At 205+ lbs I need some decent stopping power. What trails do you ride? I'm biking distance from Markham park and regularly ride Amelia earhart as well. That picture on the bench is taken in chupacabra in amelia

mtbr member
    updated with review. bump!

mtbr member
    You can put a 100mm fork on it and it won't be an issue. I swapped out the 90mm PBR alloy on my '12 Flash 29r 3 carbon with a 100mm XLR carbon. I don't have the newer hybrid one, but I am content with what I am riding currently.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    ah very cool. if i only had the cash! haha

mtbr member
    Check Ebay, there are some really good deals on there sometimes. My fork was used, but was recently serviced. It is working great. I wanted new, but like you I didn't have the cash to put out for that. I got a set of Reynolds wheels which were new take offs, but I got them for less then a brand new build. Deals can happen..

DMills
    Apr 2012

Re: My '13 Cannondale F29 3 (thoughts and review)

I keep telling people that those stock runs are light and durable but no one believes me. I have a year of hard riding on those wheels and they are as true as the day I got em.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    ohhh... reynolds. pics? (permission to threadjack granted)

do you have a 3? did you weigh your stock wheels? i'm curious to know what the stock i19s with the deore rear hub and formula front, dt swiss competition spokes. i can calculate them but can't account for nipple weight and real world differences

DMills
    Apr 2012
    I have not weighed the wheels and mine are not totally stock - I have a Chris King rear hub, different spokes etc but I don't think it would affect the weight of the wheel overall that much. Full disclosure - I'm not a weight weenie but more about feel, durability, etc.

mtbr member
    My '13 Cannondale F29 3 (thoughts and review)-my-flash-29r.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    ohhh... reynolds. pics? (permission to threadjack granted)

do you have a 3? did you weigh your stock wheels? i'm curious to know what the stock i19s with the deore rear hub and formula front, dt swiss competition spokes. i can calculate them but can't account for nipple weight and real world differences
    Mine did not come with the wheels you have since mine was a '12. I had Sun Ringle' Equalizer 25's with an x9 rear hub and whatever front lefty hub they used. I did weigh my bike before I changed out the wheels and it was a little over 23lbs. When I got the Reynolds setup I dropped 2lbs. That is with the 2.1 RR and light weight tubes. If I go tubeless I could probably loose a little more. I have not committed to that as of yet. Other mods I did was FSA SL-K seat post, riser bars and crank set. As I already told you I changed out the fork to a 100mm XLR carbon Lefty. Mine came with Elixr 9 brakes and they work fine for me. I have read all the complaints, but mine have been good.

mtbr member
    Oh wow excellent info and thanks for the picture. Loving the wheels and that's a helluva weight savings. Probably not Clyde friendly.

mtbr member
    This is a really awesome bike. Enjoy that thing.
    I have been looking at these F29 series for a couple years...looks like it is worth the price of admission.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    This is a really awesome bike. Enjoy that thing.
    I have been looking at these F29 series for a couple years...looks like it is worth the price of admission.
    I definitely like mine and I highly recommend the carbon version if you have the means..

mtbr member
    Yeah easily worth it. It's the closest one felt to handling like a 26er on any 29er I've ever ridden.