mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My 03 Jekyll Comments and Questions

I recently picked up on 03 Jekyll 800 on eBay. Coming from a Specialized Hardrock, I wasn't sure how I'd like the full suspension. Now that It's been a few weeks, I must say that the suspension has helped removing most of the fatigue of a hard day's ride. Landing of drops of 3 feet is like landing on a cushion, a great feeling! I ride up, over, and down areas that I used to stress before, but now I'm past the areas before I know it. I'm very happy with the Jekyll.

I have had some issues with shifting. I'm not sure if it's my shifters or the derailer, but when trying to move between gears on the rear cassette, I click and it doesn't move. The next time I click it goes down 2 cogs. I just had it in for service, not sure if it's an adjustment. Do you think going from deore to XT shifters would help?

My rear brake almost hits the bars, I'm going to try and bleed the brakes and get them refilled with fluid. Just learned your not supposed to turn the bike upside down. Do you think traveling with it in the back of my xterra on it's side is bad?

Great forum people, going to clean up my bike so I can post a pic. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusrock1
    I recently picked up on 03 Jekyll 800 on eBay. Coming from a Specialized Hardrock, I wasn't sure how I'd like the full suspension. Now that It's been a few weeks, I must say that the suspension has helped removing most of the fatigue of a hard day's ride. Landing of drops of 3 feet is like landing on a cushion, a great feeling! I ride up, over, and down areas that I used to stress before, but now I'm past the areas before I know it. I'm very happy with the Jekyll.

I have had some issues with shifting. I'm not sure if it's my shifters or the derailer, but when trying to move between gears on the rear cassette, I click and it doesn't move. The next time I click it goes down 2 cogs. I just had it in for service, not sure if it's an adjustment. Do you think going from deore to XT shifters would help?

My rear brake almost hits the bars, I'm going to try and bleed the brakes and get them refilled with fluid. Just learned your not supposed to turn the bike upside down. Do you think traveling with it in the back of my xterra on it's side is bad?

Great forum people, going to clean up my bike so I can post a pic. Thanks.
    I have been told never turn your bike upside down and recently at my lbs the mechanic said I could can turn my bike upside down for a little while as long as I dont compress the brake levers which can force air into the system. Going from deore to XT will result in smoother shifting but I think the problem is derraileur or cassette related.

Lying your bike on its side should be okay, just watch that the derraileur or brake levers are not being banged or wedged into anything. A bike rack is ideal because you dont have to worry about the bike being banged around and mud from a post ride wont be tracked into your vehicle.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I have been told never turn your bike upside down and recently at my lbs the mechanic said I could can turn my bike upside down for a little while as long as I dont compress the brake levers which can force air into the system.

Lying your bike on its side should be okay, just watch that the derraileur or brake levers are not being banged or wedged into anything. A bike rack is ideal because you dont have to worry about the bike being banged around and mud from a post ride wont be tracked into your vehicle.
    I've never heard this.I set my bike on the bar ends and seat upside down every time I put my front tire on the fork, and when I adjust the hydraulic brake pad position (not self positioning) on the trail or when I want to lube the chain or make sure everything is shifting well. I guess since these are short duration events there was no problem...

What would the problem be? Air migrating through the line into the brake caliper?
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

ಠ_ಠ

cable placement

It's the way cannondale places the cables under the bottom bracket. The cables get dirty very quickly and then they don't move so well. I've had a Jekyll for a couple of years now and it's a constant battle. I decided that next time I change my cables, I'm going with total enclosure. I changed to XT shifter which helped somewhat, and I even bought an avid rollamajig, not sure how much that helped though. The main problem is cable placement. Trust me, you're not alone here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool, sounds like going with new cables and shifters will help. Going to try and bleed the brakes this weekend. Hopefully, I won't f-it up so I can go riding this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

He's right...

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    It's the way cannondale places the cables under the bottom bracket. The cables get dirty very quickly and then they don't move so well. I've had a Jekyll for a couple of years now and it's a constant battle. I decided that next time I change my cables, I'm going with total enclosure. I changed to XT shifter which helped somewhat, and I even bought an avid rollamajig, not sure how much that helped though. The main problem is cable placement. Trust me, you're not alone here.

Yup, he's right on the money here. It's the cable routing. It gets full of dirt, then you're done. I've also thought about going to full housing, but haven't done it yet.

I've also tossed around the idea of moving to SRAM shifters which are 1:1, which will certainly lessen the effects of the dirt.

Has anyone converted to SRAM here and seen the diff?