mtbr member
    Sep 2007

MTB serial numbers. Frame purchase.

Someone has offered to sell me a Cannondale Prophet frame but they are not sure what year it is or sizing. They have a serial number. Can anyone tell me if the serial number describes the frame at all. I found info on Sheldon Browns website about Cannondale serial numbering but the number i have been given doesn't look anything like what's on Sheldon's site.

http://sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html#cannondale

Thanks in advance. Rex

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by rexy-rex
    Someone has offered to sell me a Cannondale Prophet frame but they are not sure what year it is or sizing. They have a serial number. Can anyone tell me if the serial number describes the frame at all. I found info on Sheldon Browns website about Cannondale serial numbering but the number i have been given doesn't look anything like what's on Sheldon's site.

http://sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html#cannondale

Thanks in advance. Rex

Try this

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/info.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    So it looks like I can identify the year model only for 2002 models onwards. I suppose that is close enough. Can work the size out with the websites frame sizing specs.

Thanks ar1981. Rex

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by rexy-rex
    So it looks like I can identify the year model only for 2002 models onwards. I suppose that is close enough. Can work the size out with the websites frame sizing specs.

Thanks ar1981. Rex
    I don't think you can, to be honest. (Maybe Cannondale insiders could derive some kind of meaning from the Serial number)

I think your best option for trying to find the size is to find the bike on the Cannondale Archives, click the geometry page for the particular model and then get out your measuring tape!

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/archive/

mtbr member
    Try emailing custserv@cannondale.com with the serial #

I did that with my old Delta V, and got an answer back the next day with all the info I needed and more. (Year of bike, date of manufacture, they even sent original brochures/spec sheets in PDF format.) Heather at Cannondale is my hero.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Note: My 2006 hardtail was actually produced in 2005 so it has a "Q" as the first letter in the serial number, even though it is actually a 2006 model.

My 2004 hardtail was built on 8/11/03(per warranty card) and gets an "N" 2003 designation even though it is a 2004 model.

Just adds a little more mystery, I know.

I guess you would have to know the cutoff date when they switched from one year to the next. On my warranty card it lists the build date in October 2005.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well thanks everyone. Contacting Canonndale seems a good idea. Thanks for the e-mail link.

Rex

mtbr member
    how can you not find your serial number on this link?

it has SN info for every single year for cannondale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    how can you not find your serial number on this link?

it has SN info for every single year for cannondale.
    If you read the first post of this thread then you will understand the question that was asked.

mtbr member
    gotcha...not enough caffeine that day.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    My '97 Super V was produced in May of '96. I spoke with Heather today and she said it's very possible that the '97 SV was produced that early! Weird.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    ...she said it's very possible that the '97 SV was produced that early! Weird.
    Actually, it's probably not all that unusual, Heather said my 93 Delta V was made in June 1992 (the 5502nd frame made that month). But then she said "Please keep in mind that the “Jurassic” 50mm travel HeadShok forks are no longer serviceable; the parts are no longer available."

Hey, did she call my beloved head shock "Jurassic". Truth hurts I guess - lol.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks everyone. Got word back from Heather at Cannondale and thought I would post it here for future reference.

"The barcode is the serial number."

"The frame code can tell the year as well" The frame code is the first group of numbering and in the example I gave was 5DMGILLG. It is a 2005 model. So I take it the 5 at the start of the frame code is the year.

Have no idea what the second group of numbering is.

Regards, Rex.