mtbr member

Mountain wheels for my Bad Boy

Well the time has come to get some mountain wheels for my Bad Boy Ultra.

That is a 2006 Cannondale Furio frame with a Headshok Super Fatty Ultra DLR, SRAM PG 950 11-34 cogs and FSA V-Drive MegaExo 22/32/44 crank.

After reading the forums I've narrowed my alternatives between the 07 Mavic Crossride wheelset or the Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL with XT hubs.

I weigh around 200 pounds and eventhough downhill is not my main thing I kinda feel i hit my rims pretty hard when off road, sometimes I do some jumps and somehow wonder if the crossrides will stand that in time. I just checked them today and as nice as they are they look a bit 'delicate'. I haven't yet seen the Sun Rhyno's but they are described -in most of the posts I've read- as tougher than the crossrides.

If I go with the Rhynos:

- is there really a difference other than price between the SRAM 950 and the 990 cassetttes?

- is there any measure I should specify when ordering the XT hubs?

- I've been told that the fattest tire that would fit my frame is a 2.3 Can you confirm that?

- am I missing any other rims/wheelsets I should consider?

A set I do like a lot are the DT Swiss FR2350, but as much as I like them they are out of my budget now.

As a restriction, I wouldn't like a silver set. Red is OK, but then..

So, I'd appreciate your comments, or experiences on this. Thanks.

- AE

R.I.P. DogFriend
    - is there really a difference other than price between the SRAM 950 and the 990 cassetttes?

Weight, carrier that holds the cogs together and finish. I'd go either XT or 990.

- is there any measure I should specify when ordering the XT hubs?

Color? Disc? Probably going to be XT756 for 6-bolt disc hubs. The new Shimano catalog I saw didn't list them anymore....????

- am I missing any other rims/wheelsets I should consider?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...c-717-Rims.htm

As a restriction, I wouldn't like a silver set. Red is OK, but then..

Right now, most budget wheelsets are like the old Ford Model T; you can get any color you want, so long as it's black....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have two wheelsets for my 2006 BBU:

Road: XTR centerlock hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro hoops.
    Mountain: XTR centerlock hubs skewered to XTR hoops with Crossmark UST tubeless.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll definitely go with an SRAM 990 cassette - there is an interesting thread about cassettes here. Squash's post is pretty good and informative.

As for the wheels, I'm leaning towards the crossrides for the sealed bearings hubs they have -less maintenance-. But it seems the Rhynos are stronger rims that would do more than OK with XTR hubs or something better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd follow Safeways advice and get identical hubs/cassettes/discs for both wheelsets, that way, when you swap wheels back and forth, everything lines up perfect and you dont have to adjust deraillers or recenter the disc calipers.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Beankeeper
    I'd follow Safeways advice and get identical hubs/cassettes/discs for both wheelsets, that way, when you swap wheels back and forth, everything lines up perfect and you dont have to adjust deraillers or recenter the disc calipers.
    Ditto - also make sure the old cassette is not too worn or otherwise the new cassette will not mech properly with your old chain.