mtbr member

New question here. Moto vs RZ 140 frame

I have the opportunity to get a moto (aluminum) frame or a RZ 140 for a replacement on my cracked Prophet.
    I don't have the details, so I don't know if the moto is a demo frame...leftover...etc. All I know is that it's 160mm and burlier than the RZ 140.

Questions for anyone who has moto experience:

1. rear spacing = 135mm and it looks as if a regular QR can be used or a RS maxle. Does each Moto frame come with ability to run either? I don't want to buy a new rear wheel since I have a new Mavic Crosstrail std QR.

2. PIKE 140mm? Can I run my PIKE on the moto w/o messing up the geometry?
    just had it PUSHED and I like it. Plus don't want to buy a new fork.

3. Weight: will a med Moto frame be similar to a Prophet frame?

Still need to get the facts from my LBS before I get it stuck in my head what they're offering.

thanks for the help.

TXTony
    I have a Moto..wish I could help you on the rear wheel thing..not sure..have not tried to or asked about running a standard QR wheel..the fork I think would work as the Moto's Lyric fork is adjustable from like 115-to 160..I have run it at various settings depending on the trail..the killer is going to be the weight...I do not know what your prophet weighed but my Moto(carbon) with pedals, KS dropper seat,Sun Ringle Charger Pro Wheels(Tubless), carbon handlebar, bash guard weighs in right at 34 pounds, my buddies Aluminum Moto weighs in right at a little over 35 pounds...his is a large..mine is a med...so yeah it is a little on the heavy side...it will go up...I just have to ride this bike different when making long climbs...slow...nice rhythm..methodical pedaling to the top...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How do you want to ride it? I have a RZ 140 with a 36 talas and its great. I have taken out the lbs demo moto (medium, same as my rz) and with the lyric it felt to short in the top tube and the head angle felt to steep. Demo them if you can but I would say the moto is going to suck with that fork, the head angle will be to steep.

mtbr member
    thanks for the input...
    what is the HA on the RZ 140? I think I read 68*?
    I'm thinking I may go with the RZ just because it's more similar to the Prophet.
    The Moto weight fully built is a little high considering I have a 40+ pound VP free for Freeriding & DH.
    I don't want a mini DH bike too.
    My Prophet was prob 31 pounds +/- .
    The main thing is that I don't want to have to shell out $$ for a new fork, rear wheel...etc.

anyone know which rear shock would come on these frames?

I have to call the LBS today with all my questions...

Tool
    A Fox RP2 or RP3 should come with the RZ frame, but you'll have to check to be certain.

I love my 140. I've got mine <25lbs. and even with the light build, it can really take a beating.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Well, I never had a chance to ride a MOTO, on the other hand, I did use the prophet mx – LOVELY RIDE!!! – rode it with dhx air.. and it had a QR axle in the back.
    Later I switched to the RZ 140… I ride the RZ with the same DHX air shock, as I did on the prophet…
    these bikes feel kinda alike… BUT – the RZ linkage ramps up close to the end of the travel, giving it sort of bottomless feel.
    The rear is NOT as stiff as the prophet, but since the weight is MUCH lower on the RZ, the bike accelerates like an XC machine!
    You will NOT notice the 140mm travel in the back, going up… descending, the bikes rear opens up and gives you a nice plush travel…

So in case you were happy with your prophet, I would say go for the RZ… in case you are going to use the same components from your old bike,
    you should be able to fit all parts nicely… plus your pushed RS fork will fit the RZ super nice!

mtbr member

rz

Quote Originally Posted by radiomir79 View Post
    Well, I never had a chance to ride a MOTO, on the other hand, I did use the prophet mx – LOVELY RIDE!!! – rode it with dhx air.. and it had a QR axle in the back.
    Later I switched to the RZ 140… I ride the RZ with the same DHX air shock, as I did on the prophet…
    these bikes feel kinda alike… BUT – the RZ linkage ramps up close to the end of the travel, giving it sort of bottomless feel.
    The rear is NOT as stiff as the prophet, but since the weight is MUCH lower on the RZ, the bike accelerates like an XC machine!
    You will NOT notice the 140mm travel in the back, going up… descending, the bikes rear opens up and gives you a nice plush travel…

So in case you were happy with your prophet, I would say go for the RZ… in case you are going to use the same components from your old bike,
    you should be able to fit all parts nicely… plus your pushed RS fork will fit the RZ super nice!

thanks for the feedback...makes perfect sense.
    my only issue is that I have been riding my 8.75" VP Free in the trails for the last 2 weeks and I LOVE plowing over everything with max speed.
    The bike is a beast but it's SO much fun.
    This is why a part of me is thinking....hmmm Moto might be tons of fun!

But the main issue is that I want to swap EVERYTHING over if I can.
    And yes the PUSHED PIKE should feel right at home on the RZ.

thanks again...