Thread: Moto Carbon?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moto Carbon?

I'm looking for a bike to do some enduro racing this year. There is a guy with a 2009 Moto Carbon 2 for sale. I had never seen one.

There seems to be almost zero information on this bike, other than a few magazine/website reviews when they first came out. What's up with these?

Do they break? Is the shock a problem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow. I knew they were obscure, but not a single response?

Was this a bike that Cannondale developed just before they went through bankruptcy and then dumped when they came out of BK?

I think I'll pass on the one for sale. Nothing worse than a bike with no support.

TXTony
    I have one..It is heavy..34 pounds..there is some flex in the rear end..you either hate it or get used to it..not enough flex to make it a deal breaker but it is there..I have ridden mine hard..jumps..rip through rock gardens and have not broken it yet..the rear triangle is aluminum and tubes on the the thing are massive...it looks like a tank and rides like one also..nice steady pace for climbs and descents just push it as much as you want..I do not think Cannondale sold a lot of these mainly if I was guessing was the weight..If it breaks I have a life time warranty so I ride it with no worries...the ballistic type carbon Cannondale uses seems to be pretty tough..I get rocks smacking off of it all the time and still do not have any damage from rocks or other debris hitting the tubes..

I think there are better bikes for racing..weight wise..I am no weight weenie but pedaling a 34 pound bike around for a few hours is a heck of a work out..plus side..when I ride it I get a heck of a work out..

mtbr member

Re: Moto Carbon?

^^^what he said, super heavy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a chance to ride a Moto Carbon a few years ago and for it's day it was a good bike. However the Moto Carbon's day has come and gone I think you would be better off buying a used 2011 or 2012 enduro bike such as Trek's Remedy or Giant's Reign. Although the Moto Carbon isn't very heavy it's not light either and doesn't have the best parts spec for what it costs.

Like anything it's always an issue of money if you can buy one for $600 hell yeah go for it's a good deal! However if the seller wants $2,000 you could probably find a Giant Reign, a Trek Remedy or even a Cannondale Jekyll 5 at a dealer for that price. Between $1000-$1,600 buying the Moto Carbon is a far more nebulous issue.