Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

More lefty questions!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LUW 
#1 ·
I have been going crazy trying to figure out what the stack height is on a lefty. I'm trying to figure out if a lefty max with reduced travel will work with my xxl 29er frame with a 321 steerer. The headtube on my frame is 155mm with an internal style headset, which have a few different stack heights depending on make/model, generally around 10mm in height. I can face the head tube and turn down the upper headset seal ring to fine tune from there. In geometry charts cannondale does not mention head tube lengths at all. So here's where I'm stumped:

1) I keep on coming across the reference to an "XL" lefty with a 163mm stack height vs the 138mm regular lefty. Is this a taller top crown off of the XL frames, or a longer upper tube? Or is this nothing that came from c'dale at all?

2) On the older lefty's the fork upper appears to be clamped to both the upper and lower clamps. What is stopping me from simply sliding the lower clamp down and clamping a bit lower to accommodate my longish head tube, then restricting the travel to match?

3) On that same clamp together fork, what is stopping me from rotating the upper tube in the clamps to change the fork's offset? Perhaps going to a longer offset to better work with 29er wheels? I would have to compensate with wheel dish, and may be somewhat restricted in tire width, but I would not be running bigger than 2.2's anyways.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Great! That would mean I could get a lefty off an XL frame, and require very little to make it work! Do all XL cannondlae frames have the taller stack lefty, or was it only a few of the later models? From looking at pictures I cannot see the difference in head tube length between frame sizes.

#5 ·
So when did this start? I was hoping to just grab a lefty off ebay from an old prophet. Something like a max FFD/TPC/SPV from 05-08 or thereabouts. Dropping 1200$ at the dealer was not quite what I had in mind. Did these older XL max's have taller stacks, or is it just the new generation stuff with integrated clamps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.