Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Modifications to Lefty travel and axle to crown length

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cdalemaniac 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Cannondale(2005 f800) with a Lefty DLR2. It has 110mm travel, and is for 26" wheels. The clamps are not bonded. I am wondering if the fork could be used on a 26" wheel frame intended for 70mm travel. Could this be done by lowering the travel(by adding travel limiting spacers and/or changing the internals), and decreasing the axle to crown length(by sliding the outer fork tube further up through the clamps).

Is this possible? If not, I won't be disappointed. I like the setup as is. Just wondering about the potential for the fork to be used for other frame geometries.

#2 ·
That fork will be able to be shortened in a2c if you like, yes.

It's old enough, that unless it got an update along the way, you'll need to get it to Solo Air in order to do so, but yep, pretty straightforward for a shop doing service on it, to do that at the same time.

It's not something that's easily done by the end user though.

#4 ·
That fork will be able to be shortened in a2c if you like, yes.

It's old enough, that unless it got an update along the way, you'll need to get it to Solo Air in order to do so, but yep, pretty straightforward for a shop doing service on it, to do that at the same time.

It's not something that's easily done by the end user though.
I appreciate your response. How do I get it to Solo Air?

#5 ·
The fork, while it *can* be moved up in the clamps, is not a2c modified that way.

Done the correct way, it will stay in the same position in the clamps, and the overall length, gets shorter.

Solo Air can be installed during a service, which is likely a good idea anyway, if you don't know the last time it was done. It's not something you'd DIY...

#6 ·
The fork, while it *can* be moved up in the clamps, is not a2c modified that way.

Done the correct way, it will stay in the same position in the clamps, and the overall length, gets shorter.
The axle to crown length AND the travel are both reduced by internal adjustments/modifications, without resorting to moving the outer/upper leg(what is called anyway on a Lefty) up in the clamps? Does this mean a bonded Lefty can be adjusted/modified in the same way?

#7 ·
Travel can be limited separately from a2c, but when you do reduce a2c, travel is commensurately reduced as well.

Yes, the bonded DLR2's have the same internals as your non bonded one. 2005 was a transition year, so DLR2's had the non bonded telescope. 2006, they went to the bonded, but the internals remained the same as 2005 (for many years to come, too).

#8 ·
Travel can be limited separately from a2c, but when you do reduce a2c, travel is commensurately reduced as well.

Yes, the bonded DLR2's have the same internals as your non bonded one. 2005 was a transition year, so DLR2's had the non bonded telescope. 2006, they went to the bonded, but the internals remained the same as 2005 (for many years to come, too).
Is there any limit to the years that can have their A2C reduced? Can you create an Oliver from any lefty? Is it just click in spacers or more complicated internals that need replacing?

#10 ·
If by Oliver you simply mean a shortened fork? Sure you can shrink any of them down, but it's more than spacers that get snapped onto the top if you want to shorten A2C.

The Hybrids lose their automatic reset ability if you rework them beyond their standard set up, unless you send it into the factory for the job, which they'll likely tell you you can't do, cause that's just how they are now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.